Global Water-Related Risk Indicators: Meta-Analysis of Indicator Requirements
Karina Vink*,†, Md. Nasif Ahsan**, Hisaya Sawano*, and Miho Ohara*
*International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM)
1-6 Minamihara, 305-8516 Tsukuba, Japan
**Economics Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh
-  United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), “Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030,” Switzerland, 2015, http://www.unisdr.org/files/43291_sendaiframeworkfordrren.pdf [accessed Jun. 6, 2016]
-  M. Gall, “Indices of social vulnerability to natural hazards: a comparative evaluation,” Department of Geography, University of South Carolina, USA, 2007.
-  United Nations, “Sustainable Development Goals,” 2016, http://unstats.un.org/sdgs/ [accessed Jun. 6, 2016]
-  N. W. Adger, “Vulnerability,” Global Environmental Change, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 268-281, 2006.
-  H. Eakin and A. L. Luers, “Assessing the vulnerability of social-environmental systems,” Annual Review of Environment and Resources, Vol.31, pp. 365-394, 2006, DOI: 10.1146/annurev.energy.30.050504.144352.
-  C. J. Andrews, D. M. Hassenzahl and B. B. Johnson, “Accommodating uncertainty in comparative risk,” Risk Analysis, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 1323-1335, 2004.
-  G. Kaveckis and B. Bechtel, “Land use based urban vulnerability to climate change assessment,” 9th International Conference Environmental Engineering – Selected Papers, 2014.
-  B. Beccari, “A Comparative Analysis of Disaster Risk, Vulnerability and Resilience Composite Indicators,” PLoS Currents Disasters, Vol.1, 2016.
-  M. S. Babel, “Developing an operational water security index, and its application in selected diverse regions of Asia,” Water Engineering and Management, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, 2013, http://www.apn-gcr.org/resources/items/show/2013 [accessed Jun. 6, 2016]
-  M. S. Babel, A. Onsomkri, and V. R. Shinde, “A framework for water security assessment at city scale,” the 7th International Conference on Water Resources and Environment Research, Kyoto, Japan, 2016.
-  United Nations University – Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS), “World Risk Report 2014,” 2014, http://i.unu.edu/media/ehs.unu.edu/news/4070/11895.pdf [accessed Jun. 6, 2016]
-  “Global Adaptation Index (GAIN),” http://index.gain.org/ [accessed Jun. 6, 2016]
-  S. Lonergan, K. Gustavson, and B. Carter, “The Index of Human Insecurity,” AVISO, Vol.6, 2000.
-  W. Naudé, M. McGillivray, and S. Rossouw, “A local vulnerability index for South Africa,” United Nations University – World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER), North-West University South Africa, 2007.
-  S. F. Balica, N. G. Wright, and F. van der Meulen, “A flood vulnerability index for coastal cities and its use in assessing climate change impacts,” Nat Hazards, Vol.64, No.1, pp. 73-105, 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s11069-012-0234-1.
-  “Water-Related Disaster Resilience Index,” in Asian Water Development Outlook (AWDO) 2013, Asian development bank, 2013, http://www.adb.org/publications/asian-water-development-outlook-2013 [accessed Jun. 6, 2016]
-  J. Birkmann, “Indicators and criteria for measuring vulnerability: theoretical bases and requirements,” in J. Birkmann (Eds.), Measuring Vulnerability to Natural Hazards, Hong Kong: United Nations University Press, pp. 55-77, 2006.
-  T. Welle and J. Birkmann, “The World Risk Index – An approach to assess risk and vulnerability on a global scale,” Journal of Extreme Events, Vol.2, No.1, p. 34, 2015, DOI: 10.1142/S2345737615500037.
-  United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), “Reducing disaster risk, a challenge for development,” Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery, John S. Swift Co., USA, 2004, ISBN 92-1-126160-0, www.undp.org/bcpr [accessed Oct. 17, 2016]
-  T. Winderl, “Disaster resilience measurements, stocktaking of ongoing efforts in developing systems for measuring resilience,” United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), 2014.
-  UNISDR PreventionWeb, “Open-ended Intergovernmental Expert Working Group on Indicators and Terminology Relating to Disaster Risk Reduction,” http://www.preventionweb.net/drr-framework/open-ended-working-group/ [accessed Oct. 17, 2016]
-  V. A. Johnson, K. R. Ronan, D. M. Johnston, and R. Peace, “Evaluations of disaster education programs for children: a methodological review,” International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, Vol.9, pp. 107-123, 2014, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2014.04.001.
-  K. Vink, Md. N. Ahsan, and H. Sawano, “The benefits of cyclones as ecosystem services,” the 7th International Conference on Water Resources and Environment Research, Kyoto, Japan, 2016.
-  Md. N. Ahsan, K. Takeuchi, K. Vink, and M. Ohara, “A systematic review of the factors affecting the cyclone evacuation decision process in Bangladesh,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 742-753, 2016, DOI: 10.20965/jdr.2016.p0742.
-  UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, “World Population Prospects, the 2015 Revision,” http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/Graphs/Probabilistic/POP/TOT/ [accessed Oct. 17, 2016]
-  K. K. Goldewijk and N. Ramankutty, “Land Use Changes During the Past 300 Years,” EOLSS Publishers Co., Land Use, Land Cover and Soil Sciences, Vol.1, 2009.
-  B. Schultz, “Flood management under rapid urbanisation and industrialisation in flood-prone areas: a need for serious consideration,” Irrig. and Drain., Vol.55, S3-S8, 2006, DOI: 10.1002/ird.237.
-  Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), “Managing the risks of extreme events and disasters to advance climate change adaptation,” Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, and New York, NY, USA, 2012, https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/special-reports/srex/SREX_Full_Report.pdf [accessed Oct. 17, 2016]
-  Inter-Agency Standing Committee, European Commission, “INFORM Index for Risk Management,” http://www.inform-index.org/ [accessed Oct. 17, 2016]
-  The World Bank, “Open data initiative,” http://data.worldbank.org/ [accessed Jun. 6, 2016]
-  L. Pintér, L. Bizikova, K. Kutics, and A. Vári, “Developing a system of sustainability indicators for the lake Balaton region,” Tájökológiai Lapok, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 271-293, 2008.
-  J. Birkmann, O. D. Cardona, M. L. Carreño, A. H. Barbat, M. Pelling, S. Schneiderbauer, S. Kienberger, M. Keiler, D. Alexander, P. Zeil, and T. Welle, “Framing vulnerability, risk and societal responses: the MOVE framework,” Nat Hazards, Vol.67, No.2, pp. 193-211, 2013.
-  A. Dwyer, C. Zoppou, O. Nielsen, S. Day, and S. Roberts, “Quantifying social vulnerability: a methodology for identifying those at risk to natural hazards,” Australian Government, Geoscience Australia Record, 2004.
-  S. Lee, T. Okazumi, Y. Kwak, and K. Takeuchi, “Vulnerability proxy selection and risk calculation formula for global flood risk assessment: a preliminary study,” Water Policy, Vol.17, No.1, pp. 8-25, 2015, DOI: 10.2166/wp.2014.158.
-  R. Davidson, “An urban earthquake disaster risk index,” PhD thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, Stanford University, USA, California, USA, 1997.
-  E. Krumpe, “Monitoring Human Impacts: Criteria to Guide Selection of indicators,” College of Natural Resources, University of Idaho, USA, 2000, www.webpages.uidaho.edu/ css496/Criteria_to_select_indicators.doc [accessed Jun. 6, 2016]
-  I. Abarquez and Z. Murshed, “Community-based disaster risk management, field practitioners’ handbook,” Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), 2004.
-  United Nations Human Rights Office of the High Commissioner (UNOCHA), “Human rights indicators,” United Nations, 2012, http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Publications/Human_rights_indicators_en.pdf [accessed Jun. 6, 2016]
-  Save the children, “SMART indicators,” 2009, https://sites.google.com/site/savethechildrendme/Home/smart-indicators [accessed Jun. 6, 2016]
-  A. K. M. I. Nazrul, U. K. Deb, M. Al Amin, N. Jahan, I. Ahmed, S. Tabassum, M. G. Ahamad, A. Nabi, N. P. Singh, K. Byjesh, and C. Bantilan, “Vulnerability to Climate Change: Adaptation Strategies and Layers of Resilience, Quantifying Vulnerability to Climate Change in Bangladesh,” International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), Research report No.16, Andhra Pradesh, India, 2013, http://oar.icrisat.org/8118/1/J518_2012%20Res%20Rep%2016.pdf [accessed Jun. 6, 2016]
-  T. Merabtene, J. Yoshitani, and D. Kuribayashi, “Managing flood and water-related risks: a challenge for the future,” AOGS 2004 Joint 1st Annual Meeting & 2nd APHW Conference, Singapore, 2004.
-  P. Hardi and T. Zdan, “Assessing Sustainable Development: Principles in Practice,” International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), Winnipeg, 1997, http://www.iisd.org/pdf/bellagio.pdf [accessed Jun. 6, 2016]
-  D. King and C. MacGregor, “Using social indicators to measure community vulnerability to natural hazards,” Australian Journal of Emergency Management, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 52-57, 2000.
-  S. Lee, T. Okazumi, and Y. Kwak, “Possibilities and challenges in the development of a global flood disaster risk indicator from the post-2015 UN processes perspective: a preliminary study,” Water Policy, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 208-227, 2015, DOI: 10.2166/wp.2014.078.
-  W. N. Adger, N. Brooks, G. Bentham, M. Agnew, and S. Eriksen, “New indicators of vulnerability and adaptive capacity,” Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, 2004.
-  U. L. Kaly, C. R. Pratt, and J. Mitchell, “The demonstration Environmental Vulnerability Index (EVI), South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission (SOPAC),” Technical Report 384, 2004.
-  Y. Adikari, R. Osti, and K. Hiroki, “Governance, socio-economic and geophysical indices for determining water-related disaster risk,” Water Policy, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 179-192, 2013, DOI: 10.2166/wp.2012.170.
-  M. Nair, N. H. Ravindranath, N. Sharma, R. Kattumuri, and M. Munshi, “Poverty index as a tool for adaptation intervention to climate change in northeast India,” Climate and Development, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 14-32, 2013, DOI:10.1080/17565529.2012.751337.
-  T. Okazumi, S. Lee, Y. Kwak, G. Maksym, D. Kuribayashi, N. Yasuda, and H. Sawano, “Global water-related disaster risk indicators assessing real phenomena of flood disasters,” Global Assessment Report (GAR) input paper, 2014.
-  E. M. Andrews and S. B. Withey, “Social indicators of well being,” Plenum Press, New York, USA, 1976.
-  C. W. Cobb and C. Rixford, “Lessons learned from the history of social indicators,” Redefining progress, San Francisco, USA, 1998.
-  Global Water-related Disaster Risk Indicators Development Team, “Proposal of Asian water development outlook 2016,” International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM), 2014.
-  G. Rasul and G. B. Thapa, “Sustainability of ecological and conventional agricultural systems in Bangladesh: an assessment based on environmental, economic and social perspectives,” Agricultural Systems, Vol.79, pp. 327-351, 2004, DOI: 10.1016/S0308-521X(03)00090-8.
-  International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM), “ICHARM’s role in the World Water Assessment Programme,” WWAP, 2013.
-  A. Terakawa, J. Yoshitani, T. Ikeda, D. Kuribayashi and T. Merabtene, “Sustainable development and emerging research programs in flood hazard mitigation and risk management,” Public Works Research Institute, Tsukuba, Japan, 2006.
-  R. K. Singh, H. R. Murty, S. K. Gupta, and A. K. Dikshit, “An overview of sustainability assessment methodologies,” Ecological Indicators, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 189-212, 2009, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2011.01.007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.