Verification of a Method for Estimating Building Damage in Extensive Tsunami Affected Areas Using L-Band SAR Data
Hideomi Gokon*,†, Shunichi Koshimura**, and Kimiro Meguro*
*Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo
4-6-1-Be604, Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
**International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
-  The 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Joint Survey Group (TTJS), “Report from survey group,” http://www.coastal.jp/tsunami2011/ [accessed October, 2013]
-  National Police Agency, “Report of the Damage Caused by the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami (in Japanese),” http://www.npa.go.jp/archive/keibi/biki/higaijokyo.pdf [accessed October 2013]
-  S. Koshimura, S. Hayashi, and H. Gokon, “Lessons from the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Disaster,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 549-560, 2013.
-  S. Koshimura, S. Hayashi, and H. Gokon, “The Impact of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Disaster and Implications to the Reconstruction,” Soils and Foundations, 2014.
-  F. Dell’Acqua and P. Gamba, “Remote Sensing and Earthquake Damage Assessment: Experiences, Limits, and Perspectives,” Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol.100, No.10, October 2012.
-  M. Matsuoka and F. Yamazaki, “Use of Satellite SAR Intensity Imagery for Detecting Building Areas Damaged due to Earthquakes,” Earthquake Spectra Vol.20, No.3, pp. 975-994, 2004.
-  M. Matsuoka and F. Yamazaki, “Building Damage Mapping of the 2003 Bam, Iran, Earthquake Using Envisat/ASAR Intensity Imagery,” Earthquake Spectra Vol.21, No.S1, S285-S294, 2005.
-  M. Matsuoka, S. Koshimura and N. Nojima, “Estimation of Building Damage Ratio due to Earthquakes and Tsunamis Using Satellite SAR Imagery,” Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2010 IEEE International, pp. 3347-3349, July 2010.
-  M. Matsuoka and M. Estrada, “Development of Earthquake-induced Building Damage Estimation Model Based on ALOS/PALSAR Observing the 2007 Peru Earthquake,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 346-355, 2013.
-  D. Brunner, G. Lemoine and L. Bruzzone, “Earthquake Damage Assessment of Buildings Using VHR Optical and SAR Imagery,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol.48, No.5, May, 2010.
-  W. Liu, F. Yamazaki, H. Gokon and S. Koshimura, “Extraction of Tsunami-flooded Areas and Damaged Buildings in the 2011 Tohoku-oki Earthquake from TerraSAR-X Intensity Images,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.29, No.S1, pp. S183-S200, 2013.
-  W. Liu, F. Yamazaki, H. Gokon and S. Koshimura, “Extraction of Damaged Buildings due to the 2011 Tohoku,” Japan Earthquake and Tsunami, Proceedings of Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), pp. 4038-4041, 2012.
-  S. Chen and M. Sato, “Tsunami Damage Investigation of Built-up Areas Using Multitemporal Spaceborne Full Polarimetric SAR Images,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol.51, No.4, April 2013.
-  M. Sato, S. Chen, and M. Satake, “Polarimetric SAR Analysis of Tsunami Damage Following the March 11, 2011 East Japan Earthquake,” Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol.100, No.10, October 2012.
-  M. Watanabe, T. Motohka, Y. Miyagi, C. Yonezawa, and M. Shimada, “Analysis of Urban Areas Affected by the 2011 Off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami with L-Band SAR Full-polarimetric Mode,” IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol.9, No.3, May 2012.
-  Tohoku University, “Building Damage Map for the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami,” 2011, http://www.tsunami.civil.tohoku.ac.jp/tohoku2011/mapping_damage.html [accessed May 27, 2011]
-  H. Gokon and S. Koshimura, “Mapping of Building Damage of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami in Miyagi Prefecture,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.54, No.1, 2012.
-  H. Gokon, S. Koshimura, and M. Matsuoka, “Object-based method for estimating tsunami induced damage using TerraSAR-X data,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.11, No.2, pp. 225-235, 2016.
-  A. Lopes, R. Touzi, and E. Nezry, “Adaptive Speckle Filters and Scene Heterogeneity,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol.28. No.6, pp. 992-1000, 1990.
-  U. C. Benz, P. Hofmann, G. Willhauck, I. Lingenfelder, and M. Heynen, “Multi-resolution, object-oriented fuzzy analysis of remote sensing data for GIS-ready information,” ‘ISPRS Journal of photogrammetry and remote sensing, Vol.58. No.3, pp. 239-258, 2004.
-  Earth Observation Center of German Aerospace Center (DLR), Global Urban Footprint, 2017, http://www.dlr.de/eoc/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-9628/16557_read-40454/ [accessed February 1, 2017]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.