Extraction of Collapsed Buildings in the 2016 Kumamoto Earthquake Using Multi-Temporal PALSAR-2 Data
Wen Liu† and Fumio Yamazaki
Department of Urban Environment Systems, Graduate School of Engineering, Chiba University
1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
-  United States Geological Survey (USGS): https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us20005iis#executive [accessed March 10, 2017]
-  Cabinet Office of Japan (2016) Summary of damage situation in the Kumamoto earthquake sequence, http://www.bousai.go.jp/ updates/h280414jishin/index.html [in Japanese, accessed March 10, 2017]
-  QuiQuake: https://gbank.gsj.jp/QuiQuake/index.en.html [accessed March 10, 2017]
-  Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA): http://www.jma.go.jp /jma/en/2016_Kumamoto_ Earthquake/2016_Kumamoto_Earthquake .html [in Japanese, accessed March 10, 2017]
-  L. Dong and J. Shan, “A comprehensive review of earthquake-induced building damage detection with remote sensing techniques,” ISPRS J. Photogramm. Remote Sens., Vol.84, pp. 85-99, 2013.
-  P.T.B, Brett and R. Guida, “Earthquake damage detection in urban areas using curvilinear features,” IEEE Trans.Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol.51, pp. 4877-4884, 2013.
-  S. Plank, “Rapid damage assessment by means of multi-temporal SAR: A comprehensive review and outlook to Sentinel-1,” Remote Sens., Vol.6, pp. 4870-4906, 2014.
-  ALOS Research and Application Project of EORC, JAXA: http://www.eorc.jaxa.jp/ALOS/lulc/jlulc_jpn.htm [accessed March 10, 2017]
-  M. Matsuoka and M. Estrada, “Development of earthquake-induced building damage estimation model based on ALOS/PALSAR objeserving the 2007 Peru earthquake,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 346-355, 2013.
-  S. Park, Y. Yamaguchi and D. Kim, “Polarimetric SAR remote sensing of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake using ALOS/PALSAR,” Remote Sensing of Environment, Vol.132, pp. 212-220, 2013.
-  M. Watanabe, T. Motohka, Y. Miyagi, C. Yonezawa and M. Shimada, “Analysis of urban areas affected by the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku earthquake and tsunami with L-Band SAR full-polarimetric mode,” IEEE Geosci. and Remote Sens. Letters, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 472-476, 2012.
-  R. Bahri, W. Liu and F. Yamzaki, “Damage assessment of urban areas due to the 2015 Nepal earthquake uding PALSAR-2 imagery,” in Proc. 36th Asia Conf. on Remote Sesing (ACRS), 2015.
-  M. Watanabe, R.B. Thapa, T. Ohsumi, H. Fujiwara, C. Yonezawa, N. Tomii and S. Suzuki, “Detection of damaged urban areas using interferometric SAR coherence change with PALSAR-2,” Earth, Planets and Space, Vol.68, No.131, 2016.
-  S. Hashimoto, T. Tadono, M. Onosato, M. Hori and K. Shiomi, “A new method to derive precise land-use and land-cover maps using multi-temporal optical data,” J. of The Remote Sensing Society of Japan, Vol.34, No.2, pp. 102-112, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  Geospatial Information Authority of Japan (GSI): http://fgd.gsi.go.jp/download/menu.php [accessed March 10, 2017]
-  National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management (NILIM), “Quick report of the field survey on the building damage by the 2016 Kumamoto earthqukae,” technical Note No.929, http://www.nilim.go.jp/lab/bcg/siryou/tnn/tnn0929.htm [in Japanese, accessed March 10, 2017]
-  W. Liu an F. Yamazaki, “Urban monitoring and change detection of central Tokyo using high-resolution X-band SAR images,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, pp. 24-29, 2011.
-  Y. Ito, M. Hosokawa, H. Lee and J.G. Liu, “Extraction of damaged regions using SAR data and neural networks,” Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens., XXXIII, pp.156-163, 2000.
-  W. Liu, F. Yamazaki, H. Gokon and S. Koshimura, “Extraction of Tsunami-Flooded Areas and Damaged Buildings in the 2011 Tohoku-Oki Earthquake from TerraSAR-X Intensity Images,” Earthquake Spectra, EERI, Vol.29, No.S1, S183-S200, 2013.
-  A. Ferretti, A. Monti-Guarnieri, C. Prati, F. Rocca, Part C InSAR processing: a mathematical approach, In InSAR Principles: Guidelines for SAR Interferometry Procs. and Interpretation, K. Fletcher, Ed., ESA Publications: Noordwijk, Netherlands, pp. 3-13, 2007.
-  Y. Ito and M. Hosokawa, “Damage Estimation Model Using Temporal Coherence Ratio,” in Proc. IEEE IGARSS, pp. 2859-2861, 2002.
-  H. Miura, S. Midorikawa, and M. Matsuoka, “Accuracy improvement of building damage detection using high-resolution SAR images observed from different directions,” J. of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.15, No.7, pp. 7_390-7_403, 2015. (in Japanese)
-  F. Yamazaki and W. Liu, “Remote sensing technologies for post-eartqhauke damage assessment: A case study on the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake,” In Proc. 6th Asia Conf. on Earthquake Engineering (6ACEE), 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.