The Impact of the Thai Flood of 2011 on the Rural Poor Population Living on the Flood Plain
Yukiko Tahira* and Akiyuki Kawasaki**
*Regional Network Office for Urban Safety, Asian Institute of Technology
P. O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand
**Department of Civil Engineering, School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
-  UNISDR: Global assessment report on disaster risk reduction: Risk and poverty in a changing climate, United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction, Geneva, Switzerland, 2009.
-  Cuny, C. Frederick, Disasters and development, Oxford University Press, 1983.
-  Collins, E. Andrew, Disaster and development, Routledge, 2009.
-  Lal, P. Narsey, R. Singh, and P. Holland, Relationship between natural disasters and poverty: a Fiji case study, SOPAC, 2009.
-  A. Morita, D. Komori, and A. Kawasaki, “Interdiciplinary investigation the Chao Praya River 3, Preliminary analysisi of the changes in Communities and the Irrigation System,” Seisan Kenkyu, Vol.65, No.4, pp. 141-146, 2013.
-  J. Erich, “Flood risk and flood management,” J. of Hydrology, Vol.267, No.2002, pp. 2-11, 2002.
-  A. Kawasaki, D. Komori, S. Nakamura, M. Kiguchi, A. Nishijima, K. Oki, T. Oki, and K. Meguro, “Emergency response during the 2011 Chao Phraya River flood in Thailand focusing on information sharing and coordination among governmental agency,” J. of Social Safety Science, Vol.17, pp. 109-117, 2012.
-  T. Funatsu, “2011 Thai flood and water resource management organizations,” 2011 Thai flood – Records and Lessons –, Institute of Developing Economies, pp. 161-180, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  G. Yasuda, “Lessons from 2011 Thai flood support activities and future plan oriented for more effective implementation,” Kasen (River) 2013-7, No.804, pp. 46-55, 2013.
-  S. Koontanakunrawon, “Short-term flood control measures after 2011 Thai flood, 2011 Thai flood – Records and Lessons –,” Institute of Developing Economies, pp. 181-199, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  N. Sukegawa, “Industries and enterprises affected by 2011 Thai flood and their measures, 2011 Thai flood – Records and Lessons –,” Institute of Developing Economies, pp. 73-96, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Tamada, “Conflict and politics over flood, 2011 Thai flood – Records and Lessons –,” Institute of Developing Economies, pp. 123-160, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Hara, D. Thaitakoo, and K. Takeuchi, “Landform transformation on the urban fringe of Bangkok,” Landscape and urban planning, 2008.
-  M. Shinya, K. Tsuchiya, Y. Hara, and D. Thaitakoo, “Effects of urban development with landform transformation on flooding patters in peri-urban Bangkok – Case of flood in 2011,” J. of the City Planning Institute of Japan, Vol.48, No.3, pp. 783-788, 2013.
-  H. H. Shwe and A. Kawasaki, “Investigating Socio-economic Impacts of Flood on the People Affected by Poverty: Case Study in Bago, Myanmar,” New Technologies for Urban Safety of Mega Cities, Yangon, 2014.
-  S. A. H. Sagala, “Analysis of flood physical vulnerability in residential areas,” International Institute for Geo-information science and earth observation enschede, Netherlands, 2006.
-  M. Henry, A. Kawasaki, and K. Meguro, “Information collection of disadvantaged populations during the 2011 Thai flood,” J. of Social Safety Science, Vol.21, pp. 241-250, 2013.
-  T. Sararit and T. Kondo, “Housing Renovation After the 2011 Thailand Flood in Ayutthaya,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.9, No.4, pp. 563-569, 2014.
-  World Bank, World Bank Annual Report, 2013.
-  World Bank, Poverty headcount ratio, http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SI.POV.DDAY [accessed December 8, 2016]
-  National Statistic Office, Analysis report about status of poverty and disparity (Thai language), 2015.
-  National Statistic Office, The 2013 household socio-economic survey: Average household income 2006-2013, http://service.nso.go.th/nso/nso_center/project/search_center/23project-th.htm [accessed December 8, 2016]
-  Muroya, “Damage of rice agriculture by Thai flood and afterwards,” Norinchukin Research Institute Co.Ltd, Survey and Infomation 2012.3, Vol.29, pp. 6-7, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Tambon Ban Chang, Basic information and outline of Tambon Ban Chang (Thai), 2014.
-  A. Suehiro, “Labor market and social security system in Thailand,” Employment, life security and new social risk management in East Asia, Study series of the institution of social science, Vol.56, 2014 (in Japanese), http://web.iss.u-tokyo.ac.jp/gov/research/asia_ch9_thailand.pdf [accessed December 8, 2016]
-  National Statistic Office Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, the 2000 population and housing census, http://web.nso.go.th/en/census/poph/prelim_e.htm [accessed December 8, 2016]
-  Y. Minoura and T. Notsu, “Kayaioka Schools and Expansion of Secondary Education in Rural Northeastern Thailand : With Special Reference to Mechanism for a Rapid Rise in Attendance Rate,” Southeast Asian Studies, Vol.36, No.2, pp. 131-148, 1998.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.