Mitigating Rainfall-Induced Sediment Hazard and Soil Erosion Using Organic Amended Soil Improvement
Khonesavanh Vilayvong*,†, Noriyuki Yasufuku*, and Kiyoshi Omine**
744 Motooka, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka, Japan
**Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan
-  L. J. M. Tisdal and J.M. Oades, “Organic matter and water-stable aggregates in Soils,” J. of Soil Science, Vol.33, pp. 141-163, 1982.
-  W. J. Rawls, Y. A. Pachepsky, J. C. Ritchie, M. T. Sobecki, and H. Bloodworth, “Effect of soil organic carbon on soil water retention,” Geoderma, Vol.116, No.1, pp. 61-76, 2003.
-  K. Onaga, “Practical studies on soil erosion in the northern parts of Okinawa,” Sci. Bull. Coll. Agric. Unive. Ryukyus, Vol.33, pp. 111-209, 1986 (in Japanese).
-  H. Yamamoto, “Rill and interrill erosion on a bare land made of red soil in Okinawa, Japan,” Georg. Rev. Jpn, Vol.59, pp. 470-479, 1986.
-  Y. Tokashiki, T. Yamada, M. Shimo, and K. Onaga, “Physical properties of the surface and the runoff soils of made land in Okinawa Island,” Jpn. J. Soil. Sci. Plant. Nutr, Vol.65, pp. 115-125, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  N. Yasufuku, K. Araki, K. Omine, K. Okumura, and K. Iwami, “Evaluation of inhibitory effect by adaptation measures for red soil runoff from farmland due to heavy rainfall,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 457-466, 2015.
-  L. B. Faucette, L. M. Risse, M. A. Nearing, J. W. Gaskin, and L. T. West, “Runoff, erosion and nutrient losses from compost and mulch blankets under simulated rainfall,” J. of Soil and Water Conservation, 2004.
-  M. Tejada and J. L. Gonzalez, “Influence of organic amendments on soil structure and soil loss under simulated rain,” Soil Tillage Res. Vol.93, pp. 197-205, 2007.
-  M. Xiao and J. Gomez, “Rainfall erosion resistance and stability of various composts,” J. of Soil and Water Conservation, Vol.64, No.4, pp. 233-242, 2009.
-  E. Arthur, W. M. Cornelis, J. Vermang, and D. E. Rocker, “Effect of compost on erodibility of loamy sand under simulated rainfall,” Catena, Vol.85, pp. 67-72, 2010.
-  J. Yang, K. Onaga, S. Gibo, and Y. Tokashiki, “Erosion control of Kunigami-maaji soil by applying of different organic matters,” Trans. Of JSIDRE. No.198, pp. 161-168, 1998.
-  F. Verheijen, S. Jeffery, A.C. Bastos, M. V. D. Velde, and I. Diafas, “Biochar application to soils: A critical scientific review of effects on soil properties, processes, and functions,” Joint Research Centre (JRC), European Commission, 2010.
-  J. Lehmann and S. Joseph, “Biochar for environmental management,” Earthscan, UK, 2009.
-  R. A. Gardner, “The method of measuring the capillary tension of soil moisture over a wide moisture range,” Soil Science, Vol.43, pp. 227-228, 1937.
-  M. Th. van Genuchten, “A closed form equation for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soils,” Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., Vol.44, pp. 892-989, 1980.
-  E. C. Childs and N. Collis-George, “The permeability of porous materials,” Proc. Royal Society of London, Series A, Vol.201, pp. 392-405, 1950.
-  D. G. Fredlund and H. Rahardjo, “Soil mechanics for unsaturated soils,” New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1993.
-  A. Guerra, “The effect of organic matter content on soil erosion in simulated rainfall experiments,” in W.Sussex, UK. Soil use and Management, Vol.10, pp. 60-64, 1994.
-  K. Vilayvong, N. Yasufuku, and R. Ishikura, “Evaluation of rainfall erosivity and impact forces using strain gauges,” J. Lowland Technology Int., Vol.17, pp. 207-214, 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.