Experimental Study on 3D Scour Around an Embedded Submarine Pipeline Under Oblique Waves
Dianqi Li*, Yongzhou Cheng*,**,†, Yu Yao*,**, Xunxiao Li*, and Xianhe Lu*
*School of Hydraulic Engineering, Changsha University of Science and Technology
Changsha 410114, P. R. China
**Key Laboratory of Water-Sediment Sciences and Water Disaster Prevention of Hunan Province, P. R. China
Wave deformation on a sloping seabed and the incident angle of waves greatly influence local submarine pipeline scour. Most previous studies on such scour considered wave deformation but not incident wave angle. Using regular waves with an incident angle of 45°, we investigated 3D scour around an embedded submarine pipeline under oblique waves in experiments. After examining wave deformation near the pipeline at different embedment depths, we analyzed how seabed scour evolved around the pipeline. Results of experiments showed that under oblique wave action, pipeline embedment depth affected wave height on both seaside and leeside of the pipeline. A 3D scour hole occurred under the pileline when the ratio of embedment depth to pipe diameter (e/D) was less than 1/4. Different forms of sand ripples also occurred on both sides as e/D changed. The embedment depth also determined the rate at which scour developed. The scour hole evolved in two distinct stages: rapid and slack. The scouring rate on the right side of the pipeline was greater than that on the left during the rapid phase, leading to an imbalance in scouring depth between the two sides.
-  Y. Mao, “The interaction between a pipeline and an erodible bed: [dissertation],” Technical University of Denmark, 1986.
-  Y. M. Chiew, “Mechanics of local scour around submarine pipelines,” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol.116, pp. 515-529, 1990.
-  F. F. Fan, B. Shi, Y. Liu, and J. Na, “Study on flow performances of the back-flow region around the submarine pipelines,” Periodical of Ocean University of China, Vol.42, pp. 173-177, 2012.
-  M. S. Alam and L. Cheng, “A parallel three-dimensional scour to predict flow and scour below the submarine pipeline,” Central European Journal of Physics, Vol.8, pp. 604-619, 2010.
-  J. F. Wen, Y. Gou, W. H. Song, J. Huang, and L. Lu, “Numerical examination of steady current-induced local scour around submarine pipeline,” The Ocean Engineering, Vol.30, pp. 75-82, 2012.
-  Z. P. Zang, B. Teng, and L. Cheng, “Experimental research on propagation velocity of 3-D scour of pipelines on sea floor under action of currents,” Journal of Dalian University of Technology, Vol.49, pp. 110-114, 2009.
-  Z. P. Zang, L. Cheng, and M. Zhao, “A numerical model for onset of scour below off shore pipelines,” Coastal Engineering, Vol.56, pp. 458-446, 2009.
-  Y. Wu and Y. M. Chiew, “Three-dimensional scour at submarine pipelines,” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol.138, pp. 788-795, 2012.
-  Y. Wu and Y. M. Chiew, “Three-Dimensional Scour at Submarine Pipelines In Unidirectional Steady Current,” Geotechnical Special Publication, Vol.5, pp. 471-481, 2010.
-  Y. M. Chiew, “Prediction of maximum scour depth at submarine pipelines,” Journal of Hydraulic, ASCE, Vol.117, pp. 452-466, 1991.
-  R. Yasa and A. Etemad-Shahidi, “Classification and Regression Trees Approach for Predicting Current-Induced Scour Depth Under Pipelines,” Journal of Offshore Mechanics & Arctic Engineering, Vol.136, pp. 190-198, 2013.
-  F. P. Gao, X. Y. Gu, and D. S. Jeng, “Physical modeling of untrenched submarine pipeline instability,” Ocean Engineering, Vol.30, pp. 1283-1304, 2003.
-  S. I. Voropayev, F. Y. Testik, and H. J. S. Fernando, “Burial and scour around short cylinder under progressive shoaling waves,” Ocean Engineering, Vol.30, pp. 1647-1667, 2003.
-  D. Z. Pan, L. Z. Wang, and C. H. Pan, “Local scour around pipeline due to progressive wave,” The Ocean Engineering, Vol.25, pp. 27-32, 2007.
-  B. M. Sumer and J. Fredsøe, “Scour blow pipelines in waves,” Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering ASCE, Vol.116, pp. 307-323, 1990.
-  B. M. Sumer and J. Fredsøe, “Onset of scour below a pipeline exposed to waves,” International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, Vol.I, No.3, pp. 189-194,1991.
-  C. E. Esin and Y. K. Yalc, “Scour under submarine pipelines in waves in shoaling conditions,” Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering ASCE, Vol.125, pp. 9-19, 1999.
-  J. Zhang, B. Shi, E. J. Zhao, et al., “Experimental research on scour depth of submarine pipelines under complex wave conditions,” Chinese Journal of Hydrodynamics, Vol.30, pp. 123-128, 2015.
-  Y. Z. Cheng, Q. L. Yang, X. Y. Huang, and L. Yi, “Experimental study on scour around submarine pipelines placed at different positions of a sloped seabed,” Journal of Changsha University of Science & Technology, Vol.12, pp. 55-62, 2015.
-  L. Cheng, K. Yeow, Z. P. Zang, et al., “3D scour below pipelines under wave and combined wave and currents,” Coastal Engineering, Vol.83, pp. 137-149, 2014.
-  Y. Y. Liu, L. Lu, M. Z. Zheng, et al., “Analysis of seabed stability and local scour around submarine pipelines under waves and current,” Journal of Zhe Jiang University, Vol.46, pp. 1135-1142, 2012.
-  D. Myrhaug, M. C. Ong, and C. Gjengedal, “Scour below marine pipelines in shoaling conditions for random waves,” Coastal Engineering, Vol.55, pp. 1219-1223, 2008.