A Semi-Analytical Model on Wave-Induced Setup over Fringing Reefs with a Shallow Reef Crest
Yu Yao*,**,†, Zhengjiang Tang*, Ruichao Du*, and Changbo Jiang*,**
*School of Hydraulic Engineering, Changsha University of Science and Technology
Changsha 410114, P.R. China
**Key Laboratory of Water-Sediment Sciences and
Water Disaster Prevention of Hunan Province, Changsha 410114, P.R. China
-  W. H. Munk and M. C. Sargent, “Adjustment of Bikini atoll to ocean waves,” Trans. Am. Geophys. Union Vol.29, pp. 855-860, 1948.
-  R. J. Lowe, J. L. Falter, S. G. Monismith, and M. J. Atkinson, “Wave-driven circulation of a coastal reef-lagoon system,” J. Phys. Oceanog. Vol.39, pp. 873-893, 2009.
-  M. A. Merrifield, J. M. Becker, M. Ford, and Y Yao, “Observations and estimates of wave-driven water level extremes at the marshall islands,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.41, pp. 7245-7253, 2014.
-  A.-C. Péquignet, J. M. Becker, M. A. Merrifield, and J. Aucan, “Forcing of resonant modes on a fringing reef during tropical storm Man-Yi,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.36, L03607, 2009, doi:10.1029/2008GL036259.
-  W. N. Seelig, “Laboratory study of reef-lagoon system hydraulics,” J. Wtrwy. Port, Coast. and Ocean Eng., ASCE, Vol.109, pp. 380-391, 1983.
-  P. S. Kench and R. W. Brander, “Wave processes on coral reef flats: Implications for reef geomorphology using Australian case studies,” J. Coast. Res., Vol.22, pp. 209-223, 2006.
-  J. L. Hench, J. J. Leichter, and S. G. Monismith, “Episodic circulation and exchange in a wave-driven coral reef and lagoon system,” Limnol. Oceanogr., Vol.53, pp. 2681-2694, 2008.
-  A.-C. Péquignet, J. M. Becker, M. A. Merrifield, and S. J. Boc, “The dissipation of wind wave energy across a fringing reef at Ipan, Guam,” Coral Reefs, Vol.30, pp. 71-82, 2011.
-  M. R. Gourlay, “Wave set-up on coral reefs. 1. Set-up and wave-generated flow on an idealised two dimensional reef,” Coast. Eng., Vol.27, pp. 161-193, 1996.
-  Z. Demirbilek, O. G. Nwogu, and D. L. Ward, “Laboratory Study of Wind Effect on Runup over Fringing Reefs,” Report 1: Data report, Coastal and Hydraulics Laboratory Technical Report ERDC/CHL-TR-07-4, U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, MS, 2007.
-  Y. Yao, Z. H. Huang, S. G. Monismith, and E. Y. M. Lo, “Characteristics of monochromatic waves breaking over fringing reefs,” J. Coastal Res., Vol.29, pp. 94-104, 2013.
-  Y. Yao, E. Y. M. Lo, Z. H. Huang, and S. G. Monismith, “An Experimental Study of wave-induced set-up over a horizontal reef with an idealized ridge,” Proc. 28th Int. Conf. Offshore Mech. and Artic Eng., ASME, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA., Vol.6, pp. 383-389, 2009.
-  Y. Yao, “Dynamics of Water Waves over Fringing Coral Reefs,” Phd Thesis, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2012.
-  M. S. Longuet-Higgins and R. W. Stewart, “Radiation stresses in water waves; a physical discussion, with applications,” Deep-Sea Res., Vol.11, pp. 529-562, 1964.
-  R. J. Tait, “Wave set-up on coral reefs,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.77, pp. 2207-2211, 1972.
-  G. Symonds, K. P. Black, and I. R. Young , “Wave-driven flow over shallow reefs,” J. Geophys. Res.,Vol.100, pp. 2639-2648, 1995.
-  C. J. Hearn, “Wave-breaking hydrodynamics within coral reef systems and the effect of changing sea level,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.104, pp. 30007-30019, 1999.
-  M. R. Gourlay and G. Colleter, “Wave-generated flow on coral reefs: an analysis for two-dimensional horizontal reef-flats with steep faces,” Coast. Eng., Vol.52, pp. 353-387, 2005.
-  O. Vetter, J. M. Becker, M. A. Merrifield, A.-C. Péquignet, J. Aucan, S. J. Boc, and C. E. Pollock, “Wave setup over a Pacific Island fringing reef,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.115, C12066, 2010, doi:10.1029/2010JC006455.
-  J. M. Becker, M. A. Merrifield, and M. Ford, “Water level effects on breaking wave setup for Pacific Island fringing reefs,” J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, Vol.119, 2014, doi:10.1002/2013JC009373.
-  S. G. Monismith, “Flow through a rough, shallow reef,” Coral Reefs, Vol.33, pp. 99-104, 2014.
-  V. Roeber, K. F. Cheung, and M. H. Kobayashi, “Shock-capturing Boussinesq-type model for nearshore wave processes,” Coast. Eng., Vol.57, pp. 407-423, 2010.
-  R. J. Lowe , A. S. Leon, G. Symonds, J. L.Falter, and R. Gruber, “The intertidal hydraulics of tide-dominated reef platforms,” J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, Vol.120, 2015, doi:10.1002/2015JC010701.
-  B. R. Munson, D. F. Young, and T. H. Okiishi, “Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics,” John Wiley and Sons. Inc., USA., 2002, 840 pp.
-  M. Calabrese, D. Vicinanza, and M. Buccino, “2D wave setup behind submerged breakwaters,” Ocean Eng., Vol.35, pp. 1015-1028, 2008.
-  I. A. Svendsen, “Mass flux and undertow in the surf zone,” Coastal Engineering, Vol.8, pp. 347-365, 1984.
-  M. W. Owen, “Design of Seawalls Allowing for Wave Overtopping,” Technical Report EX-924, HR-Wallingford, UK., 1980.
-  J. W. Van der Meer and J. P. F. M. Janssen, “Wave run-up and wave overtopping at dikes,” In: N. Kobayashi, Z. Demirbilek (Eds.), “Wave Forces on Inclined and Vertical Structures,” Ch.1, pp. 1-27, 1995.
-  T. Pullen, N. W. H. Allsop, T. Bruce, A. Kortenhaus, H. Schuttrumpf, and J. W. van der Meer, “EurOtop: Wave Overtopping of Sea Defenses and Related Structures: Assessment Manual,” Science Report: SC050059, Environment Agency, UK, 2007.
-  Y. Goda, “Derivation of unified wave overtopping formulas for seawalls with smooth, impermeable surfaces based on selected CLASH datasets,” Coast. Eng., Vol.56, No.4, pp. 385-399, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.