The School Education to Improve the Disaster Response Capacity : A Case of “Kamaishi Miracle”
Toshitaka Katada† and Masanobu Kanai
Research Center for Disaster Prevention in the Extended Tokyo Metropolitan Area, Gunma University
1-5-1 Tenjin-cho, Kiryu, Gunma 376-8515, Japan
-  National Police Agency, “Report of the damage caused by the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami,” 2016 (in Japanese), http://www.npa.go.jp/archive/keibi/biki/higaijokyo.pdf [accessed Aug. 31, 2016]
-  N. Y. Yun and M. Hamada, “Evacuation Behaviors in the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.7, No.sp, pp. 458-467, 2012.
-  M. Kanai and T. Katada, “The Effect of Lessons to Survive from Tsunamis Actual Conditions at the Great East Japan Earthquake in Kamaishi City,” J. of Disaster Information Studies, No.11, pp. 114-124, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  T. Katada, M. Kodama, N. Kuwasawa, and S. Koshimura, “Issues of Resident’s Consciousness and Evacuation from The Tsunami – From Questionnaire Suvey in Kesennuma City, Miyagi Pref. After The Earthquake of Miyagiken-Oki 2003 –,” J. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, No.789/II-71, pp. 93-104, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  M. Kanai and T. Katada, “Issues of Tsunami Evacuation Behavior in Japan: Residents Response in Case of Chilean Earthquake in 2010,” Solutions to Coastal Disasters 2011, pp. 417-422, 2011.
-  T. Katada, T. Kinoshita, and M. Kanai, “The Influence of the Dependent on Government Response about Natural Disaster upon Preparedness for It,” J. of Disaster Information Studies, No.9, pp. 114-126, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  T. Ozaki, “JMA’s Tsunami Warning for the 2011 Great Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami Warning Improvement Plan,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.7, No.sp, pp. 439-445, 2012.
-  Public Relations Office, Government Japan, “The miracle of Kamaishi,” http://mnj.gov-online.go.jp/kamaishi.html [accessed Aug. 31, 2016]
-  N. Koike, A. Hattori, and M. Morita, “Practical Study of Extension of The Disaster Prevention Education Effect from An Elementary School in The Hilly Rural Area to The Regional Community – Case Study at Tokiwa-Higashi Elementary School, Okazaki, Japan –,” J. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. F6 (Safety Problem), Vol.71, No.2, pp. I_161-I_168, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  R. Nouchi, S. Sato, and F. Imamura, “Disaster Education for Elementary School Students Using Disaster Prevention Pocket Notebooks and Quizzes,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.10, No.6, pp. 1117-1125, 2015.
-  R. Ishihara and N. Matsumura, “The Development and Evaluation of Teaching Material for Disaster Reduction in Daily Life,” J. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. H (Engineering Education and Practice), Vol.70, No.1 pp. 1-12, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  The Great East Japan Earthquake – Learning from Megadisasters : Knowledge Notes, Executive Summary, The World Bank web site, https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/17107 [accessed Aug. 31, 2016]
-  T. Katada and M. Kanai, “Implementation of Tsunami Disaster Education for Children and Their Parents at Elementary School,” Solutions to Coastal Disasters 2008, Tsunamis, pp. 39-48, 2008.
-  Disaster Social Engineering Lab., Gunma University, “Manual of Tsunami Education, Kamaishi Iwate,” 2010 (in Japanese), http://dsel.ce.gunma-u.ac.jp/kamaishi_tool/index.html [accessed Aug. 31, 2016]
-  H. Leventhal, “Findings and theory in the study of fear communications,” In L. Berkowitz (Ed.), “Advances in experimental social psychology,” Vol.5, New York : Academic Press, pp. 119-186, 1970.
-  T. Katada, M. Kodama, and H. Saeki, “Study on Residents’ Recognition of A Flood Hazard Map and Promotion Measures of Its Reconition,” Proc. of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol.48, pp. 433-438, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  T. Katada, M. Kanai, K. Hosoi, and N. Kuwasawa, “Issues of Implementations to Be Intended for Only Applicants for Bousai Seminar – According to Seminar to Guide How to Evacuation from Tsunamis,” J. of JSCE, F5, Vol.67, No.1, pp.1-13, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  M. Kanai and T. Katada, “The Survey about Implementation Status and Effects of Disaster Education at School After the Great East Japan Earthquake,” J. of Disaster Information Studies, No.13, pp. 110-118, 2015 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.