Liquefaction Analyses of Reclaimed Ground and Levee Considering the Damage by the 2011 Great Tohoku Earthquake and Lessons
Fusao Oka*1,†, Sayuri Kimoto*2, Hirokazu Yui*3, Hiroshi Matsuoka*4, and Peter Song Yeu Tsai*5
*1Association for Disaster Prevention Research
138-1 Tanakaasukai-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan
*2Graduate school of Engineering, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
*3Nikken Sekkei Civil Co. Ltd., Osaka, Japan
*4Pacific Consultants, Co. Ltd., Osaka, Japan
*5Chung-Lu Construction Co. Ltd, Taipei, Taiwan
We have reviewed liquefaction-induced damage to reclaimed ground, levees and industrial complexes, caused by the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake. Then, we reconsidered the method of the prediction of liquefaction and estimated liquefaction at Urayasu housing area using a new liquefaction prediction method based on dynamic numerical liquefaction analysis of the ground. We also clarified the feature of the damage of levee due to the 2011 Great Tohoku Earthquake based on the dynamic liquefaction analysis and listed the lessons taught by the analyses and the damages due to the 2011 Tohoku Great Earthquake are shown.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. Kanto Regional Development Bureau and Japanese Geotechnical Society “Clarification of the liquefaction phenomena induced by the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” 2011 (in Japanese).
-  K. Wakamatsu and S. Senna, “Liquefaction induced by the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku earthquake and the liquefaction history in the past,” Chishitsu to Chosa, Vol.4, No.138, pp. 7-11, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  Report of the research and examination of the counter measure against liquefaction of Urayasu city, Committee on Research and examination for the counter measure against liquefaction of Urayasu city, Chapter 2, JGS, JSCE, AIJ, March 2012 (in Japanese).
-  K. Tokimatsu and K. Katsumata, “Liquefaction-induced damage to buildings in Urayasu city during the 2011 Tohoku Pacific Earthquake,” Proc. The Int. Symp. On Engineering Lessons learned from the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake, March 1-4, CD No.153, pp. 665-674, 2012.
-  Tohoku Regional development Bureau of MLIT, “Material-3 Interim Report by the 3rd investigative commission for the restoration of the river dikes of Kitakami river etc.,” pp. 18-19, July 29, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  Japan Institute of Construction Engineering (JICE), “3rd Urgent Exploratory Committee for the Earthquake Resistant Measure of River Embankments,” Material-1, August 27, 2011 (in Japanese), http://www.jice.or.jp/sonota/t1/201106210.html [accessed Sep. 5, 2016]
-  Kanto Regional Development Bureau of MLIT, “Material-1 and reference materials of the 3rd Exploratory Committee of MLIT on the Earthquake Resistant Measure of River Embankments,” Sep. 4, 2011 (in Japanese), http://www.ktr.mlit.go.jp/river/bousai/river_bousai00000090.html [accessed Sep. 5, 2016]
-  Advisory Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, Subcommittee of high pressurized gas and explosives security, Subcommittee of High pressurized gas “Countermeasures against earthquakes and Tsunami of high pressurized gas facilities considering Tohoku Great Earthquake,” April, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Hazardous Materials Safety chamber of the Fire and disaster management agency, “Study report of the seismic measure for the dangerous facilities considering the 2011 Tohoku earthquake disaster,” 2014 (in Japanese).
-  Working group of the disaster assessment of petro complex in Chiba Prefecture, “Report of the study results of the subcommittee for the seismic measures,” Chiba prefecture, October 2011 (in Japanese).
-  M. Hamada, S. Yasuda, R. Isobe, and K. Emoto “Observation of permanent ground displacement induced by soil liquefaction,” Proc. of JSCE, No.376/III-6, pp. 211-220, 1986 (in Japanese).
-  K. Horikoshi, H. Otsu, M. Kimura, and F. Oka “Damage survey of piles affected by disaster caused by Hanshin Great Earthquake,” Tsuchi-to-Kiso, JGS, Vol.44, No.11, pp. 27-29, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  S. F. Barlett and T. L. Youd, “Empirical prediction of lateral spread displacement,” Proc. From the 4th Japan-US workshop on earthquake resistant design of lifeline facilities and countermeasures for soil liquefaction, Tech. Rep. NCEER-92-0019, Vol.1, pp. 251-366, 1992.
-  A. Hiroe, M. Kakizaki, H. Furuya, and M. Hamada “Study on the liquefaction and lateral flow in Rokko Island,” Annual meeting of JSCE 2010, I-584, pp. 1167-1168, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kabasawa and T. Kokusho “Energy analysis and model tests on lateral flow induced by water film effect in liquefied ground,” Proc. JSCE, No.771, III-68, pp. 135-145, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  Japan Road Association, “Design Specifications of Highway Bridges, Part V Seismic Design” 2002 (in Japanese, Part V: English version is available).
-  Japan Road Association, “Design Specifications of Highway Bridges, Part V Seismic Design,” 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Architectural Institute of Japan, Recommendations for design of small building foundations, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  H. B. Seed, “Soil liquefaction and cyclic mobility evaluation for level ground during earthquakes,” J. GED, ASCE, Vol.105, GT2, pp. 201-255, 1979.
-  T. Iwasaki, F. Tatsuoka, K. Tokida, and S. Yasuda, “A practical method for assessing soil liquefaction potential based on case studies at various sites in Japan,” Proc. 5th Japan Earthquake Engineering Symposium, pp. 641-648, 1978 (in Japanese).
-  T. Iwasaki, F. Tatsuoka, K. Tokida, and S. Yasuda, “On the degree of liquefaction during the earthquake,” Tuchi-to-kiso, Japanese Geotechnical society, Vol.28, No.4, pp. 23-29, 1980 (in Japanese).
-  K. O. Cetin, R. B. Sed, A. D. Kiureghian, K. Tokimatsu, L. F. Harder, R. E. Kayen, and R. E. S. Moss, “Standard penetration test based probabilistic and deterministic assessment of seismic soil lique-faction potential,” J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., Vol.130, No.12, pp. 1314-1340, 2004.
-  F. Tatsuoka and M. Silver, “Cyclic undrained strength of sand by simple shear test and triaxial test III,” Seisankennkyu, Institute of Industrial Science, University Tokyo, Vol.32, No.4, pp. 5-8, 1980.
-  Report of research committee on the earthquake disaster due to the expected Nankai-Trough great earthquake, Kansai branch of Japanese geotechnical society, 2016, (in Japanese, to appear)
-  H. Fukai, A. Oshima, F. Oka, K. H. Nagai, K. Kubota, and N. Yshiro, “Comparison of liquefaction strength between cyclic triaxial test and cyclic hollow cylinder test (2nd report),” 51th Annual meeting of JGS, No.232, D-07, pp. 463-464, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  F. Oka, H. Yui, S. Kimoto, and T. Kinugawa, “New evaluation method for liquefaction of ground using dynamic liquefaction analysis method and its application,” Int. J. Geomechanics, ASCE (accepted 2015, to appear, DOI:10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0000557).
-  LIQCA Research and Development Group (Representative: F. Oka, LIQCA-GRI,2014): User’s manual for LIQCA2D14 (in Japanese).
-  O. C. Zienkiewicz, A. H. C. Chan, M. Pastor, B. A. Schrefler, and T. Shiomi “Computational Geomechanics with Special Reference to Earthquake Engineering,” John Wiley & Sons., 1999.
-  F. Oka, A. Yashima, T. Shibata, M. Kato, and R. Uzuoka, “FEM-FDM coupled liquefaction analysis of a porous soil using an elasto-plastic model,” Applied Scientific Research, Vol.52, pp. 209-245, 1994.
-  F. Oka, A. Yashima, A. Tateishi, Y. Taguchi, and S. Yamashita, “A cyclic elasto-plastic constitutive model for sand considering a plastic-strain dependence of the shear modulus,” Geotechnique,.Vol.49, Eq. (5), pp. 661-680, 1999.
-  S. Kimoto, B. Khan, M. Shahbodagh, M. Mirjalili, and F. A. Oka, “Cyclic Elasto-Viscoplastic Constitutive Model for Clay Considering the Nonlinear Kinematic Hardening Rules and the Structural Degradation,” Int. J. Geomechanics, ASCE, Vol.15, No.5, pp. A4014005-1-A4014005-14, 2015.
-  O. Matsuo, “Damage to river dikes,” Special issue on geotechnical aspects of the January 17 1995 Hyogoken-Nambu Earthquake,” Soils and Foundations, pp. 235-240, 1996.
-  Japanese Geotechnical Society, Workshop on constitutive model for soil, May, pp. 27-28, Tokyo, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  K. Ishikawa, S. Yasuda, and T. Aoyagi, “Studies on the reasonable liquefaction-prediction method,” Japanese Geotechnical J., Vol.9, No.2, pp. 169-183, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  Bureau of Port and Harbor, Tokyo Metropolitan Government, 2011, http://www.kouwan.metro.tokyo.jp/business/keiyaku/kisojoho/jishindou.html [accessed Sep. 5, 2016]
-  K. Fukutake, H. Mano, H. Hotta, Y. Taji, A. Ishikawa, and T. Sakamoto, “Studies on soil liquefaction and settlement in the Urayasu district using effective stress analyses for the 2011 East Japan Great Earthquake,” Research paper, Institute of Technology, Shimizu Corporation, Vol.89, pp. 39-50, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Cabinet of the Japanese government, Data of the distribution of seismic intensity, Flooded area et al. studied in the review committee on the modeling of the great earthquake in Nankai trough, 4th of December, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  M. Sugito, Y. Furumoto, and T. Sugiyama, “Strong motion predictionon rock surface by superposed evolutionary spectra,” 12th WCEE, Paper No. 2111 (CD-ROM), 2000; M. Sugito, M. Kuse, N. Nojima, and T. Kondo, 2012. “Estimation of ground strong motion for megathrust earthquake along the fault at the Nankai trough,” Annual Report of Gifu University River Basin Research Center, Vol.10, pp. 45-48, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  M. Mirjalili, S. Kimoto, F. Oka, and Y. Higo, “Elasto-viscoplastic modeling of Osaka soft clay considering destruction and its effect on the consolidation analysis of an embankment,” Geomechanics and Geoengineering; An Int. J., Vol.6, No.2, pp. 69-89, 2011.
-  M. Mirjalili, “Numerical analysis of a large-scale levee on soft soil deposits using two-phase finite deformation theory,” PhD thesis, Kyoto University,2010.
-  F. Oka, P. Tsai, S. Kimoto, and R. Kato, “Damage patterns of river embankments due to the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku earthquake and a numerical modeling of the deformation of river embankments with a clayey subsoil layer,” Soils and Foundations, Vol.52, No.5, pp. 890-909, 2012.
-  Public works research institute, Higashi Kobe Ohashi, 1995 Hyogoken Nambu Earthquake, 1995 & National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, Tajiri KiK-NET, 2011.
-  Y. Sasaki, T. Miura, A. Narita, S. Ishitoya, A. Kimura, R. Ito, O. Nakayama, T. Yanagihata, and S. Sako “Study on the damage process of river levees by liquefaction in the levee body,” Advances in River Engineering, JSCE, Vol.18, pp. 333-338, 2012 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.