Development of High Precision Tsunami Runup Calculation Method Based on a Hierarchical Simulation
Taro Arikawa*,† and Takashi Tomita**
1-13-27 Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
**Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan
The 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake (GEJE) has shown that tsunami disasters are not limited to inundation damage in a specified region, but may destroy a wide area, causing a major disaster. Evaluating standing land structures and damage to them requires highly precise evaluation of three-dimensional fluid motion – an expensive process. Our research goals were thus to develop a coupling STOC method  and CADMAS-SURF/3D  to efficiently calculate all stages from tsunami source to runup and to verify their applicability. We confirmed the method’s accuracy by computing in the Onagawa District during the GEJE and comparing results to observed data. We also investigated the stability of buildings.
-  T. Tomita and T. Kakinuma, “Development of storm surge/tsunami numerical simulator STOC considering three-dimensionality of ocean water flow and its application to tsunami analysis,” Report of the Port and Airport Research Institute, Vol.044, No.02-05, 2005.
-  T. Arikawa, F. Yamada, and M. Akiyama, “Study of applicability of tsunami wave force in a three-dimensional numerical wave flume,” Proc. of Coastal Engineering, Vol.52, pp. 46-50, 2005.
-  T. Takagawa and T. Tomita, “Tsunami Source Inversion with Time Evolution and Real-time Estimation of Permanent Deformation at Observation Point,” Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. B2 (Coastal Engineering), Vol.68, No.2 pp. I_311-I_315, 2012.
-  I. Aida, “Reliability of a tsunami source model derived from fault parmeters,” J. Phys. Earth, Vol.26, pp. 57-73, 1978.
-  S. Koshimura, “Field Survey of the 2011 Tsunami Inundation in Tohoku District towards comprehensive understanding of tsunami disaster,” Joint Survey Symposium of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami, pp. 34-36, 2011.
-  S. Takahashi, K. Toda, Y. Kikuchi, T. Sugano, Y. Kuriyama, H. Yamazaki, T. Nagao, K. Shimosako, T. Negi, T. Sugano, T. Tomita, H. Kawai, Y. Nakagawa, A. Nakatsu, O. Okamoto, K. Suzuki, Y. Morikawa, T. Arikawa, M. Iwanami, T. Mizutani, E. Kohama, T. Yamaji, K. Kumagai, D. Tatsumi, M. Washizaki, T. Izumiyama, K. Seki, G. Yoem, M. Takenobu, A. Kashima, M. Banno, Y. Fukunaga, J. Sanaka, and Y. Watanabe, “Early report on a survey of earthquake and tsunami damage in ports, coastlines, and airports caused by the Great East Japan Earthquake of 2011,” Document of the Port and Airport Research Institute, No.1231, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.