Review of Recent Water-Related Disasters and Scientific Activities in Southeast Asia: Lessons Learned and Future Challenges for Disaster Risk Reduction
Shuichi Kure*, Taichi Tebakari**, and Mamoru Miyamoto***
*International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University
468-1 Aramaki-Aza-Aoba, Aoba, Sendai, Miyagi 980-0845, Japan
**Department of Environmental Engineering, Toyama Prefectural University, Japan
***International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM), Public Works Research Institute, Japan
This article reports on the public forum conducted by the authors at the Third United Nations World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction, held in Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan, from March 14 to 18, 2015. The conference included case studies of recent water-related disasters in the Southeast Asia region, reviews of academic research, and a description of the current situation about measures for risk reduction. This article also clarifies the relationship between the various recommendations proposed in the public forum and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015–2030 (the Sendai framework), in order to identify the efforts that are necessary for the implementation of the Sendai framework.
-  United Nations, “Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030,” 2015, p. 38, available at: http://www.unisdr.org/we/inform/publications/43291 [accessed August 30, 2015]
-  United Nations, “Hyogo Framework for Action 2005-2015,” 2007, p. 25, available at: http://www.unisdr.org/we/coordinate/hfa [accessed August 30, 2015]
-  D. Komori, S. Nakamura, M. Kiguchi, A. Nishijima, D. Yamazaki, S. Suzuki, A. Kawasaki, K. Oki, and T. Oki, “Characteristics of the 2011 Chao Phraya River flood in Central Thailand,” Hydrological Research Letters, Vol.6, pp. 41-46, 2012.
-  S. Kure, Y. Jibiki, M. Quimpo, M. U-Nichols, Y. Ono, and A. Mano, “Evaluation of the characteristics of human loss and building damage and reasons for the magnification of damage due to Typhoon Haiyan,” Coastal Engineering Journal (in press).
-  United Nations, “Yokohama Strategy and Plan of Action for a Safer World: guidelines for natural disaster prevention, preparedness and mitigation,” 2004, p. 19, available at: http://www.unisdr.org/we/inform/publications/8241 [accessed August 30, 2015]
-  NDRRMC, “SitRep No.107 Effects of Typhoon “YOLANDA” (HAIYAN),” 2014, available at: http://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb .int/files/resources/Update
-  Y. Tajima, T. Yasuda, B. M. Pacheco, E. C. Cruz, K. Kawasaki, H. Nobuoka, M. Miyamoto, Y. Asano, T. Arikawa, N. M. Ortigas, R. Aquino, W. Mata, J. Valdez, and F. Briones, “Initial report of JSCE-PICE joint survey on the storm surge disaster caused by Typhoon Haiyan,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.56, No.1, pp.1450006-1-12, 2014.
-  E. Mas, J. D. Bricker, S. Kure, B. Adriano, C. J. Yi, A. Suppasri, and S. Koshimura, “Field survey report and satellite image interpretation of the 2013 Super Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines,” Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., Vol.15, pp. 805-816, 2015.
-  Y. Jibiki, S. Kure, M. Kuri, and Y. Ono, “Analysis of early warning system in the case of super typhoon Haiyan” Int. J. Dis. Risk Red. (in press).
-  N. Mori, M. Kato, S. Kim, H. Mase, Y. Shibutani, T. Takemi, K. Tsuboki, and T. Yasuda, “Local amplication of storm surge by Super Typhoon Haiyan in Leyte Gulf,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.41, pp. 5106–5113, 2014.
-  V. Roeber and J. D. Bricker, “Destructive tsunami-like wave generated by surf beat over a coral reef during Typhoon Haiyan,” Nat. Commun., Vol.6, p. 7854, 2015.
-  T. Kubota, S. Shige, H. Hashizume, K. Aonashi, N. Takahashi, S. Seto, M. Hirose, Y. N. Takayabu, K. Nakagawa, K. Iwanami, T. Ushio, M. Kachi, and K. Okamoto, “Global Precipitation Map using Satelliteborne Microwave Radiometers by the GSMaP Project: Production and Validation,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol.45, No.7, pp. 2259–2275, 2007.
-  M. Miyamoto, M. Ono, S. Nabesaka, T. Okazumi, and Y. Iwami, “Applicability of a flood forecasting method utlizing global satellite information to an insufficiently-gauged river basin: a case of a river basin in the Philippines,” Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Hydroinfromatics (HIC), New York City, 2014.
-  S. Kure, M. Farid, Y. Fukutani, A. Muhari, J. D. Bricker, K. Udo, and A. Mano, “Several Social Factors Contributing to Floods and Characteristics of the January 2013 Flood in Jakarta, Indonesia,” Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. G, Vol.70, No.5, pp. I_211-I_217, 2014 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  M. Farid, A. Mano, and K. Udo, “Modeling Flood Runoff Response to Land Cover Change with Rainfall Spatial Distribution in Urbanized Catchment,” Annual Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol.55, pp. 19-24, 2011.
-  I. R. Moe, S. Kure, M. Farid, K. Udo, S. Kazama, and S. Koshimura, “Numerical simulation of flooding in Jakarta and evaluation of a counter measure to mitigate flood damage,” Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. G (in press).
-  J. D. Bricker, R. Tsubaki, A. Muhari, and S. Kure, “Causes of the January 2013 Canal embankment Failure and Urban Flood in Jakarta, Indonesia,” Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. B1 (Hydraulic Engineering), Vol.70, No.4, pp. I_91-I_96, 2014.
-  S. Shimizu, “Field study on damage by the collapse of a natural dam in Ambon Island, Indonesia,” ICHARM Newsletter, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 3-4, October 2013.
-  T. Tebakari and J. Yoshitani, “Effect of the large-scale dams on the hydrologic regime; a case study in Chao Phraya River, Basin Kingdom of Thailand,” Journal of Japan Society of Hydrologic and Water Resources, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 281-292, 2005 (in Japanese with English abstract)
-  T. Sayama, Y. Tatebe, Y. Iwami, and S. Tanaka, “Hydrologic sensitivity of flood runoff and inundation: 2011 thailand floods in the Chao Phraya river basin,” Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., Vol.15, pp. 1617-1630, 2015.
-  S. Kure and T. Tebakari, “Hydrological impact of regional climate change in the Chao Phraya River Basin, Thailand,” Hydrological Research Letters, Vol.6, pp. 53-58, 2012.
-  S. Kotsuki, K. Tanaka, and S. Watanabe, “Projected hydrological changes and their consistency under future climate in the Chao Phraya River Basin using multi-model and multi-scenario of CMIP5 dataset,” Hydrological Research Letters, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 27-32, 2014.
-  A. Champathong, D. Komori, M. Kiguchi, T. Sukhapunnaphan, T. Oki, and T. Nakaegawa, “Future projection of mean river discharge climatology for the Chao Phraya River basin,” Hydrological Research Letters, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 36-41, 2013.
-  K. Dotani, T. Tebakari, S. Kure, and P. Suvanpimol, “Proposal and verification of a new simple reservoir operation for large scale reservoirs in the Chao Phraya River basin,” Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. B1 (Hydraulic Engineering), Vol.71, No.4, pp. I_1423-I_1428, 2014, (in Japanese with English abstract).