Bridging Multi-Stakeholders for Disaster Risk Reduction Through Education for Sustainable Development into the Post-2015 Framework
Center for Disaster Education and Recovery Assistance, Miyagi University of Education
149 Aramaki, Aoba, Sendai, Miyagi 980-0845, Japan
This report summarizes the conference proceedings of Fostering DRR through Education for Sustainable Development: Toward a Better Future for Children. The conference, held at Tohoku University’s Kawauchi Hagi Hall on March 16, 2015, and attended by over 1,000 participants, focused on disaster risk reduction education within the context of education for sustainable development. This report discusses major themes emerging from presentations and panel discussions and draws some broad conclusions.
-  T. Oda, “Schools, Teachers, and Training in Risk Reduction after the 2011 Tohoku Disaster,” in K. Shiwaku, A. Sakurai, R. Shaw (Eds.), “Disaster Resilience of Education Systems,” Springer (in-print).
-  R. A. Petry, L. M. Benko, T. Koganezawa, T. Ichinose, M. Otieno, and R. Wade, “Regional centres of expertise as mobilising mechanisms for education for sustainable development,” in Hugh Atkinson and Ros Wade, Policy Press, 2014.
-  R. Shaw, K. Shiwaku, and Y. Takeuchi (Eds.), “Disaster education (community, environment and disaster risk management),” Emerald Group Publishing Limited. Bingley, UK, 2011.
-  D. Smawfield (Ed.), “Education and Natural Disasters,” Bloomsbury, 2013.
-  UNESCO, “Education for Sustainable Development” website available at http://www.unesco.org/new/en/education/themes/leading_ the_international_agenda/education_for_sustainable_development/ [last visited on August 14, 2015]
-  UNESCO Bangkok, UNICEF and Save the Children, Disaster Risk Reduction: Comprehensive School Safety: “An Imperative for Education Policymakers” (year unknown).
-  UNISDR, “Sendai framework for disaster risk reduction 2015–2030,” in “UN world conference on disaster risk reduction,” pp. 14-18, Sendai, March 2015, Japan, http://www.wcdrr.org /uploads/Sendai_Framework_for_Disaster_Risk_Reduction_2015 -2030.pdf [last visited on August 23, 2015]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.