Recent Design Approaches for Passively Controlled Structures
Tokyo Institute of Technology
O-okayama 2-12-1, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550, Japan
This study reviews and discusses several recent design approaches for passively controlled structures. First, an optimized arrangement method for the energy dissipation members (EDMs) of various infrastructures is introduced. Next, seismic isolation and passive control techniques for freeform space structures are discussed. Finally, research on various spine-frame concepts with EDMs is reviewed. All these approaches are being introduced to actual structural design, and recent examples are reported here.
-  Y. Ookouchi, T. Takeuchi, T. Uchiyama, K. Suzuki, T. Sugiyama, T. Ogawa, and S. Kato, “Experimental Studies of Tower Structures with Hysteretic Dampers,” Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures, Vol.47, No.3, pp. 229-236, 2006.
-  S. Nakazawa, H. Murakami, S. Kato, Y. Ookouchi, T. Takeuchi, and R. Shibata, “Study on a Retrofit Method of Telecommunication Steel Towers using Buckling Restrained Braces – Application of Grid Computing System for Optimum Device Arrangement Based on a Genetic Algorithm,” Journal of Structure and Constructional Engineering, AIJ, No.604, pp. 79-86, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  T. Takeuchi, Y. Kinouchi, R. Matsui, and T. Ogawa, “Optimal Arrangement of Energy- Dissipating Members for Seismic Retrofitting of Truss Structures American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 2015,” Vol.8, No.4, pp. 455-464 DOI: 10.3844/ajeassp.2015.455.464, 2015.
-  M. Fujimoto and T. Takeuchi, “Report on Great East Japan Disaster Building Series Vol.3: Structural Damage to Shell and Spatial Structures,” Architectural Institute of Japan, 2014.
-  K. Narita, T. Takeuchi, and R. Matsui, “Seismic Performance of School Gymnasia with Steel Roofs Supported by Cantilevered RC Walls Frames,” Proceedings of 5ACEE (Taipei), 2014.
-  T. Takeuchi, S. D. Xue, D. Nakazawa, and S. Kato, “Recent Applications of Response Control Techniques to Metal Spatial Structures,” Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures, Vol.53, No.2, n.172, pp. 99-110, 2012.
-  K. Takamatsu, T. Takeuchi, T. Kumagai, and T. Ogawa, “Response Evaluation of Seismically Isolated Lattice Domes using Amplification Factors,” Proceedings of IASS2009 (Valencia), pp. 120-121, 2009.
-  Y. Terazawa, T. Takeuchi, K. Narita, and R. Matsui, “Response Control of Cantilevered RC Walls in Gymnasia with Energy-Dissipation Bearings,” Proceedings of 5ACEE (Taipei), 2014.
-  Y. Hayashi, T. Takeuchi, and T. Ogawa, “Shape Optimization of Single-layer Lattice Shell Roofs Focusing on Buckling Strength under Seismic Load,” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol.59B, pp. 479-488, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  G. Deierlein, X. Ma, M. Eatherton, J. Hajjar, H. Krawinkler, T. Takeuchi, K. Kasai, and M. Midorikawa, “Earthquake Resilient Steel Braced Frames with Controlled Rocking and Energy Dissipating Fuses,” Proceedings of EUROSTEEL 2011 (Budapest), 2011.
-  T. Takeuchi, X. Chen, and R. Matsui, “Seismic performance of controlled spine frames with energy-dissipating members,” Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol.115, pp. 51-65, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.