Disaster Warning System in the Philippines Through Enterprise Engineering Perspective: A Study on the 2013 Super Typhoon Haiyan
Natt Leelawat*, Anawat Suppasri**, Shuichi Kure**, Carine J. Yi**, Cherry May R. Mateo***, and Fumihiko Imamura**
*Department of Industrial Engineering and Management,
Graduate School of Decision Science and Technology, Tokyo Institute of Technology
2-12-1-W9-66 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550, Japan
**International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, Japan
***Intitute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, Japan
-  G. R. Brakenridge, Global Active Archive of Large Flood Events, Dartmouth Flood Observatory, University of Colorado, 2015, http://floodobservatory.colorado.edu/Archives/index.html [accessed March 2015].
-  D. Guha-Sapir, R. Below, and Ph. Hoyois, EM-DAT: International Disaster Database, Brussels: Universitée Catholique de Louvain, www.emdat.be [accessed March 2015].
-  J. Daniell, B. Muhr, T. Girard, A. Dittrich, J. Fohringer, C. Lucas, et al., “CEDIM FDA Report No.2 on Typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda,” Postdam: Center for Disaser Management and Risk Reduction Technology, 2013.
-  A. Suppasri, C. J. Yi, N. Leelawat, M. Watanabe, J. D. Bricker, M. Yasuda, and F. Imamura, “Field survey and analysis of damaged school buildings by the 2013 Typhoon Haiyan and storm surge,” J. Jpn. Soc. Civi. Eng. Ser. B2 (Coastal Engineering), Vol.71, pp. I_1669-I_1674, 2015.
-  C. J. Yi, A. Suppasri, S. Kure, J. D. Bricker, E. Mas, M. Quimpo, and M. Yasuda, “Storm surge mapping of Typhoon Haiyan and its impact in Tanauan, Leyte, Philippines,” Int. J. Disaster Risk Reduct., Vol.13, pp. 207-214, 2015.
-  R. B. Paciente, “Response and lessons learnt from Typhoon “Haiyan” (Yolanda),” JMA/WMO Workshop on Effective Tropical Cyclone Warning in Southeast Asia, Tokyo: Japan Metrorological Agency, 2014.
-  M. Saito, M. Saito, T. Imamura, T. Kamigaki, S. P. Lupisan, and H. Oshitani, “Research activities and responding to Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda): Tohoku-RITM collaboration research center in the Philippines,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.9, pp. 823-827, 2014.
-  J. L. G. Dietz, J. A. P. Hoogervorst, A. Albani, D. Aveiro, E. Babkin, J. Barjis, A. Caetano, P. Huysmans, J. Iijima, S. J. H. van Kervel, H. Mulder, M. Op ‘t Land, H. A. Roper, J. Sanz, L. Terlouw, J. Tribolet, J. Verelst, and R. Winter, “The discipline of enterprise engineering,” Int. J. Organ. Des. Eng., Vol.3, pp. 86-114, 2013.
-  J. L. G. Dietz, “Enterprise Ontology – Theory and Methodology,” Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2006.
-  J. L. G. Dietz and J. A. P. Hoogervorst, “Enterprise ontology in enterprise engineering,” Proceedings of the 23rd Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, pp. 572-579, 2008.
-  J. L. G. Dietz and J. A. P. Hoogervorst, “The principles of enterprise engineering,” Advances in Enterprise Engineering VI, A. Albani, D. Aveiro, and J. Barjis (Eds.) Springer, pp. 15-30, 2012.
-  J. Iijima, “DEMO-Modeling methodology to visualize the skeleton of corparate activities,” Tokyo: NTT Publishing, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  M. Op ‘t Land, H. Zwitzer, P. Ensink, and Q. Label, “Towards a fast enterprise ontology based method for post merger integation,” Proceedings of the 2009 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, pp. 245-252, 2009.
-  J. Tang, T. Ruohonen, L. G. Pee, and J. Iijima, “Process-oriented home care system transformation in Central Finland,” Proceedigns of the 4th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Ontology Development, pp. 455-460, 2012.
-  D. Aveiro and D. Pinto, “An e-government project case study: Validation of DEMO’s qualities and method/tool improvement,” Proceedings of the 6th Working Conference PRET, Vol.151, pp. 1-15.
-  T. Suga and J. Iijima, “A Business process modeling approach for long-term care systems,” Proceedings of the 4th International Engineering Systems Symposium, 2014.
-  D. B. Mongula, “Enterprise ontology for the flood control domain,” M.Sc. thesis, TU Delft, Delft, 2009.
-  N. Leelawat and J. Iijima, “Emergency response organization through enterprise engineering perspective,” Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Ontology Development, pp. 148-155, 2013.
-  N. Yoshie and J. Iijima, “Interorganizational architecture in recovery process from earthquake in Japan,” Proceedings of the 3rd International Engineering Systems Symposium. Council of Engineering Systems Universities, 2012.
-  N. Leelawat, A. Suppasri, and F. Imamura, “Behind the Tohoku’s operation comb mission to secure the routes of rescue: An enterprise engineering perspective,” Proceedings of the 6th Thailand-Japan International Academic Conference, pp. 89-92, 2013.
-  N. Leelawat, A. Suppasri, and F. Imamura, “Disaster recovery and reconstruction following the 2011 Great East Japan earthquake and tsunami: A business process management perspective,” Int. J. Disaster Risk Sci., Vol.6, pp. 310-314, 2015.
-  N. Leelawat, A. Suppasri, M. Yasuda, and F. Imamura, “Disaster warning broadcasting process management: A case study of landslide from Typhoon Wipha at Izu-Oshima in 2013,” Rep. Tsunami Eng., Vol.31, pp. 49-57, 2014.
-  N. Leelawat, A. Suppasri, and F. Imamura, “Analyzing the essence of the disaster warning system in Japan,” Proceedings of the Second International Education Forum on Environment and Energy Science, Tokyo: Academy for Co-creative Education of Environment and Energy Science, 2013.
-  N. Leelawat, A. Suppasri, and F. Imamura, “The tsunami warning system in Thailand: A part of the reconstruction process after the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami,” Post-Tusnami Hazards, V. Santiago-Fandino, Y. A. Kontar, and Y. Kaneda (Eds.), Cham: Springer International Publishing Switzerland, pp. 111-119, 2015.
-  W. T. Coombs, “Crisis communication and its allied fields,” The Handbooks of Crisis Communication, W. T. Coombs (Ed.), Singapore: Wiley-Blackwell, pp. 54-64, 2010.
-  H. Omer and N. Alon, “The continuity principle: A unified approach to disaster and trauma,” Am. J. Community Psychol., Vol.22, pp. 273-285, 1994.
-  P. A. Andersen and B. H. Spitzberg, “Myths and maxims of risk and crisis communication,” R. L. Heath and H. D. O’Hair (Eds.) New York: Taylor & Francis, pp. 205-226, 2009.
-  R. Lejano, J. M. Tan, and M. Wilson, “Communicating risk: Learning from Typhoon Haiyan,” Nature, Vol.518, p. 35, 2015.
-  R. C. Ordinario, “Weather forecasting and warning service,” Quezon City, Metro Manila: Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration, 2014.
-  Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration, PAGASA Communication and Warning Protocol, Quezon City, Metro Manila: Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration, 2014.
-  A. P. C. Perinforma, “The Essence of Organisation,” South Holland: Sapio Enterprise Engineering, 2012.
-  Makati Business Club, MBC Executive Outlook Survey: Business Gives Positive Marks to 43 Agencies in Year 4 of PNoy’s Administration, 2014, http://www.mbc.com.ph/news/press-statements/mbc-executive-outlook-survey-business-gives-positive-marks-to-43-agencies-in-year-4-of-pnoys-administration [accessed Feb. 15, 2015].
-  Congress of the Philippines, Republic Act No.10121, Metro Manila: Congress of the Philippines, 2009.
-  S. Kure and M. Quimpo, “Summary of Typhoon Haiyan,” Second Report of IRIDeS Fact-finding missions to Philippines. Miyagi: International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, pp. 5-14, 2015.
-  M. Miyamoto, Y. Tajima, T. Yasuda, H. Nobuoka, K. Kawasaki, and Y. Asano, “Storm surge disaster due to Typhoon Haiyan and related warning activities in the Philippines,” Civ. Eng. J., Vol.56-6, pp. 26-29, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  The Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office, PREGINET. The Philippines Public Storm Warning Signals, 2012, http://www.gov.ph/crisis-response/the-philippine-public-storm-warning-signals/ [accessed May 12, 2014].
-  F. Imamura and I. Abe, “History and challenge of tsunami warning systems in Japan,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.4, pp. 267-271, 2009.
-  T. Ozaki, “JMA’s tsunami warning for the 2011 Great Tohoku earthquake and tsunami warning improvement plan,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.7, pp. 439-445, 2012.
-  K. Kanda, T. Nasu, and M. Miyamura, “Practical site-specific earthquake early warning application,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.4, pp. 251-259, 2009.
-  Y. Igarashi, T. Ueno, K. Nakata, V. C. Hernandez-Grennan, J. L. Cruz-Salcedo, I. C. Narag, B. C. Bautista, and T. Koizumi, “Building a tsunami simulation database for the tsunami warning system in the Philippines,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.10, pp. 51-58, 2015.
-  National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Plan (NDRRMP) 2011-2028. Quezon City: National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, 2010.
-  N. Leelawat, C. M. R. Mateo, S. M. Gaspay, A. Suppasri, and F. Imamura, “Filipino’s views on the disaster information for the 2013 Super Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines,” Int. J. Sustain. Future Hum. Secur., Vol.2, pp. 16-28, 2014.
-  M. Esteban, V. P. Valenzuela, N. Y. Yun, T. Mikami, T. Shibayama, R. Matsumaru, H. Takagi, N. D. Thao, M. de Leon, T. Oyama, and R. Nakamura, “Typhoon Haiyan 2013 Evacuation Preparations and Awareness,” Int. J. Sustain. Future Hum. Secur., Vol.3, pp. 37-45, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.