Bacterial Monitoring in the International Space Station – “Kibo”
Tomoaki Ichijo, Nobuyasu Yamaguchi, and Masao Nasu
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Osaka University
1-6 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Since 2009, we have been continuously performing bacterial monitoring in Kibo, the Japanese Experiment Module of the International Space Station (ISS), in cooperation with the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA). The objective of this research is to monitor microbes and analyze their dynamics in Kibo from environmental microbiological viewpoints. In this review, we summarize our research related to bacterial monitoring in Kibo.
-  J. W. Wilson, C. M. Ott, K. Höner zu Bentrup, R. Ramamurthy, L. Quick, S. Porwollik, P. Cheng, M. McClelland, G. Tsaprailis, T. Radabaugh, A. Hunt, D. Fernandez, E. Richter, M. Shah, M. Kilcoyne, L. Joshi, M. Nelman-Gonzalez, S. Hing, M. Parra, P. Dumars, K. Norwood, R. Bober, J. Devich, A. Ruggles, C. Goulart, M. Rupert, L. Stodieck, P. Stafford, L. Catella, M.J. Schurr, K. Buchanan, L. Morici, J. McCracken, P. Allen, C. Baker-Coleman, T. Hammond, J. Vogel, R. Nelson, D. L. Pierson, H.M. Stefanyshyn-Piper, and C. A. Nickerson, “Space flight alters bacterial gene expression and virulence and reveals a role for global regulator Hfq,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, Vol.104, pp. 16299–16304, October 2007.
-  A. T. Borchers, C. L. Keen, and M. E. Gershwin, “Microgravity and immune responsiveness: Implications for space travel,” Nutrition, Vol.18, pp. 889–898, October 2002.
-  M. Shirakawa, F. Tanigaki, and T. Yamazaki, “Microbial Observatory Research in the International Space Station and Japanese Experiment Module “Kibo”,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.10, No.6, pp. 1025–1030, Dec. 2015 (this number).
-  N. Yamaguchi, H. Hieda, and M. Nasu, “Simple and reliable swabbing procedure for monitoring microbes in the International Space Station,” Eco-Engineering, Vol.22, pp. 27–30. October 2010.
-  N. Yamaguchi, A. Ishidoshiro, Y. Yoshida, T. Saika, S. Senda, and M. Nasu, “Development of an adhesive sheet for direct counting of bacteria on solid surfaces,” J. Microbiol. Methods, Vol.53, pp. 405–410. 2003.
-  T. Ichijo, H. Hieda, R. Ishihara, N. Yamaguchi, and M. Nasu, “Bacterial monitoring with adhesive sheet in the International Space Station – ‘Kibo’, the Japanese Experiment Module,” Microbes Environ., Vol.28, pp. 264–268, 2013.
-  T. Ichijo, N. Yamaguchi, and M. Nasu, “Four-year bacterial monitoring in the International Space Station – Japanese Experiment Module “Kibo” with culture-independent approach” (in revision).
-  “Rapid Microbial Methods,” Japanese Pharmacopoeial Forum, Vol.24, pp. 405–406, June 2015.