Fire Protection Analysis and Potential Improvements for Wooden Cultural Heritage Sites in Japan
Kwang-Il Kim*1, Tadashi Konishi*2,†, Tomek Ziemba*2, Hirofumi Nonaka*3, Ki-Hun Nam*1, and Takeyoshi Tanaka*4
*1Inje University, 197 Inje-ro, Gimhae, Gyeongnam 621-749, Korea
*2National Institute of Technology, Oita College, Oita, Japan
*3Nagaoka University of Technology, Niigata, Japan
*4Professor Emeritus, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Wooden cultural properties are exposed to risks such as forest fires and arson, due to natural disasters and social change. To protect these heritage sites from such risks, we focused on fire protection facilities and systems, fire-related accidents, and arson affecting wooden cultural heritage sites in Kyoto and Hyogo. A questionnaire was filled out by heritage site affiliates, and responses and investigated materials were analyzed. We found that Kyoto and Hyogo wooden cultural heritage sites were well equipped with fire protection facilities and equipment. Specifically, automatic fire protection systems linked the general public, government-related institutes and local governments to improve facilities usage. These systems played a crucial cultural site monitoring role. Increasing public interest in these cultural heritage sites has led to a more engaging and prompt response by the small number of neighboring parties and firefighters. To improve fire and disaster prevention functionality effectively, it is recommended that sites establish automatic fire protection systems and cooperate with the general public, local institutions, and government agencies.
-  K. J. Kim, D. W. Song, and S. K. Lee, “A Study on Performance of Water Curtain Nozzles for Protection of Wooden Cultural Properties from Forest Fires,” Journal of Korean Institute of Fire Science & Engineering, Vol.26, No.3, pp. 8-13, 2012.
-  Damage investigation committee of Hyogoken-Nanbu earthquake, Workshop on Investigation of Fire and Citizen Behavior in the 1995 Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake, Journal of Japan Association for Fire Science and Engineering, Vol.47, No.1, pp. 60-61, 1997.
-  A. Murata, “Fire Fighting by Residents in the 1995 Southern Hyogo Prefecture Earthquake,” Journal of Japan Association for Fire Science and Engineering, Vol.48, No.5, pp. 40-45, 1998.
-  T. Yamada, “Experiences of General Public in the 1995 Southern Hyogo Prefecture Earthquake,” Journal of Japan Association for Fire Science and Engineering, Vol.49, No.5, pp. 34-39, 1999.
-  M. H. Back and J. H. Lee, “The Study for Fire Protection of Main Wooden Cultural Properties of Korea,” Journal of Korean Institute of Fire Science & Engineering, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 1-8, 2011.
-  B. D. Han, “Improvement of Cultural Heritage Disaster Management,” Journal of Digital Contents Society, Vol.8, No.10, pp. 189-197, 2008.
-  M. S. Sin and H. S. Gong, “Fire Safety Administration Way of Tradition Buddhist Temple Cultural Heritage,” Journal of the Korea Society of Conservation Science for Cultural Heritage, Vol.23, No.23, pp. 119-124, 2008.
-  H. S. Park, S. Y. Lee, and B. D. Lee, “Questionnaire Concerning the Actual State of Forest Fire Danger for Facilities in Wildland-Urban Interface in Gyeongbuk 3 Province,” Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 203-210, 2012.
-  Y. H. Yoon, D. E. Kim, D. G. Soo, J. Y. Lee, and Y. J. Kwan, “A Comparison Study on the System of the Cultural Properties Law for Fire Protection in Korea and Japan,” Proceedings of 2008 Spring Annual Conference, Korean Institute of Fire Science & Engineering, pp. 57-60, 2008.
-  H. Stovel, “A Management Manual for World Cultural Heritage,” Cultural Heritage Administration, Daejeon, pp. 2-10, 2009.
-  J. H. Lee and D. H. Kim, “Combustion Characteristics of a Wooden Cultural Assets by Tree Species,” Proceedings of 2012 Spring Annual Conference, Korean Institute of Fire Science & Engineering, pp. 3-6, 2012.
-  Y. S. Kim and C. I. Yoog, “A Study on the Efficient Cultural Asset Fire Safety Security Plan,” Proceedings of 2010 Spring Annual Conference, Korean Institute of Fire Science & Engineering, pp. 109-116, 2010.