A Quantitative Estimate of Vulnerable People and Evaluation of Flood Evacuation Policy
Karina Vink*,**, Kuniyoshi Takeuchi**, and Kelly M. Kibler**
*National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS), Disaster Management Program (DMP), National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, 7-22-1 Roppongi, Minato, Tokyo 106-8677, Japan
**International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM), 1-6 Minamihara, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8516, Japan
-  EM-DAT, “Number of people reported affected by natural disasters 1900-2011,” the OFDA/CRED International Disaster Database, 2012,
http://www.emdat.be/sites/default/files/Trends/natural/world_1900_2011/affyr1.pdf [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  IPCC, “Managing the risks of extreme events and disasters to advance climate change adaptation,” Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, and New York, NY, USA, 2012,
https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/special-reports/srex/SREX FD SPM final.pdf [accessed June 17, 2014]
-  EM-DAT, “Number of people killed by natural disasters 1975-2011” and “Estimated damages (US$billion) caused by reported natural disasters 1975-2011,” the OFDA/CRED International Disaster Database, 2011,
http://www.emdat.be/natural-disasters-trends [accessed June 17, 2014]
-  F. Thomalla, T. Downing, E. Spanger-Siegfried, G. Han, and J. Rockström, “Reducing hazard vulnerability: towards a common approach between disaster risk reduction and climate adaptation,” Disasters, 2006, doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9523.2006.00305.x
-  B. Jongman, P. J. Ward, and J. C. J. H. Aerts, “Global exposure to river and coastal flooding: long term trends and changes,” Glob. Environ. Chang., 2012, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2012.07.004
-  C. J. Vörösmarty, L. Bravo de Guinni, W. M. Wollheim, B. Pellerin, D. Bjerklie, M. Cardoso, C. D’Almeida, P. Green, and L. Colon, “Extreme rainfall, vulnerability and risk: a continental-scale assessment for South America,” Philos. Trans. Of the R. Soc. Publ., 2013, doi: 10.1098/rsta.2012.0408
-  O. D. Cardona, “The need for rethinking the concepts of vulnerability and risk from a holistic perspective: a necessary review and criticism for effective risk management,” in: G. Bankoff, D. Frerks, D. Hillhorst (Eds), “Mapping vulnerability: disasters, development and people” (1st Ed.), Earthscan Publishers, London, pp. 37-51, 2004.
-  S. B. Manyena, “The concept of resilience revisited,” Disasters, 2006, doi: 10.1111/j.0361-3666.2006.00331.x
-  B. Yarnal, “Vulnerability and all that jazz: addressing vulnerability in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina,” Technol. in Soc., 2007 doi:10.1016/j.techsoc.2007.01.011
-  J. R. Lindsay, “The determinants of disaster vulnerability: achieving sustainable mitigation through population health,” Nat. Hazards, 2003, doi: 10.1023/A:1022969705867
-  UNISDR, “United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction 2009,” UNIDSR Terminology on Disaster Risk Reduction, UNISDR., 2009,
http://www.unisdr.org/files/7817_UNISDRTerminology English.pdf [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  B. Wisner, J. C. Gaillard, and I. Kelman, “Framing disaster,” In: B. Wisner, J. C. Gaillard, I. Kelman (Eds), “The Routledge handbook of hazards and disaster risk reduction” (1st Ed.), Routledge, New York, pp. 18-33, 2012.
-  K. Vink and K. Takeuchi, “International comparison of measures taken for vulnerable people in disaster risk management laws,” Int. J. of Disaster Risk Reduct., 2013, Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2013.02.002
-  D. J. Crawford-Brown, “Risk-based environmental decisions: culture and methods” (1st Ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, p. 117, 1999.
-  A. Kuijvenhoven, “Vrouwen en kinderen eerst ? Zelfredzaamheid bij rampen,” Koninklijke Vermande, Den Haag, 2005.
-  Y. Honkawa, “Current social data catalogue (Shakai jitsujō deeta zuroku),” 2001 (in Japanese),
http://www2.ttcn.ne.jp/honkawa/4362.html [accessed 24 October 2013]
and http://www2.ttcn.ne.jp/honkawa/4363f.html [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  Statistics Bureau, “Visible statistics of the status of cities, wards, town, villages 2013, A population/households (Toukei de miru shikuchouson no sugata 2013, A jinkou/setai),” Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC), 2013 (in Japanese),
http://www.e-stat.go.jp/SG1/estat/List.do?bid=000001048449&cycode=0 [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  J. Brunkard, G. Nuamulanda, and R. Ratard, “Hurricane Katrina Deaths, Lousiana, 2005,” Disaster Med. and Public Health Prep., 2008, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/DMP.0b013e31818aaf55
-  United States Census Bureau, “Age groups and sex, New Orleans city, Louisiana,” Census Bureau, 2012,
http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_00_SF1_QTP1&prodType=table [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  M. Sawai, “Who is vulnerable during tsunamis? Experiences from the Great East Japan Earthquake 2011 and the Indian Ocean Tsunami 2004,” UNESCAP, 2012,
http://www.unescap.org/idd/working%20papers/IDD-DRS-who-is-vulnerable-duringtsunamis.pdf [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  N. Laframboise and B. Loko, “Natural Disasters: Mitigating Impact, Managing Risks,” International Monetary Fund, 2012,
http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2012/wp12245.pdf [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  D. Alexander, J. C. Gaillard, and B. Wisner, “Disability and disaster,” In: B.Wisner, J. C. Gaillard, I. Kelman (Eds.), “The Routledge handbook of hazards and disaster risk reduction” (1 st Ed.), Routledge, New York, pp. 413-423, 2012.
-  M. Hada, H. Nakamura, and I. Okaki, “The next generation tsunami hazard map,” In: A. Chavoshian, K. Takeuchi (Eds.), “Floods: from risk to opportunity” (1st Ed.), IAHS publication, Oxfordshire, pp. 392-404, 2013.
-  K. Vincent, “Creating an index of social vulnerability to climate change for Africa,” Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, 2004,
http://www.nrel.colostate.edu/ftp/conant/SLMknowledge_base/Vincent_2004.pdf [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  F. A. Kahn and A. Salman, “A simple human vulnerability index to climate change hazards for Pakistan,” Int. J. of Disaster Risk Sci., 2013, doi: 10.1007/s13753-012-0017-z
-  T.MacDonald, “Vulnerability and impacts on human development,” In: V. R. Burkett, M. A. Davidson (Eds.), “Coastal Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerabilities: A Technical Input to the 2013 National Climate Assessment” (1st Ed.), Island Press, Washington D.C., pp 67-100, 2013.
-  Q. Dinh, S. Balica, I. Popescu, and A. Jonoski, “Climate change impact on flood hazard, vulnerability and risk of the Long Xuyen Quadrangle in the Mekong Delta,” J. of River Basin Manag., 2012, doi: 10.1080/15715124.2012.663383
-  UNISDR United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction, “Hyogo Framework for Action 2005-2015: building the resilience of nations and communities to disasters,” 2007,
http://www.unisdr.org/files/1037_hyogoframeworkforactionenglish.pdf [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  S. L. Cutter, C. G. Burton, and C. T. Emrich, “Disaster resilience indicators for benchmarking baseline conditions,” J. of Homel. Secur. and Emerg. Manag., 2010, doi: 10.2202/1547-7355.1732
-  A. Dwyer, C. Zoppou, O. Nielsen, S. Day, and S. Roberts, “Quantifying social vulnerability: a methodology for identifying those at risk to natural hazards,” Australian government, Geoscience Australia, 2004,
http://www.earthbyte.org/people/patrice/Teaching/Geos-2111GIS/Ref/GA4267-IdentifyingRisks.pdf [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  D. A. McEntire, C. Fuller, C. W. Johnston, and R. Weber, “A comparison of disaster paradigms: the search for a holistic policy guide,” Public Adm. Rev., 2002, doi: 10.1111/1540-6210.00178
-  L. Rygel, D. O’Sullivan, and B. Yarnal, “A method for constructing a social vulnerability index: an application to hurricane storm surges in a developed country,” Mitig. and Adapt. Strateg. For Glob.Chang., 2006, doi: 10.1007/s11027-0265-6
-  N. Brooks, “Vulnerability, risk and adaptation: a conceptual framework,” Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, 2003,
http://www.tyndall.ac.uk/sites/default/files/wp38.pdf [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek, “Prognosis population; sex, age, ethnicity and generation, 2013-2060,” Central Bureau voor de Statistiek, 2012,
http://statline.cbs.nl/StatWeb/publication/?VW=T&DM=&PA=81584NED&D1=0&D2=0&D3=0-100&D4=0&D5=0-2,7,17,27,37,l&HD=121206-1503&HDR=T,G4&STB=G1,G2,G3 [accessed January 16, 2013]
-  United States Census Bureau, “Age and Sex Structure of the Population for the United States: 2010, 2030, and 2050,” United States Census Bureau, 2009,
http://www.census.gov/population/projections/files/analytical-document09.pdf [accessed January 16, 2013]
-  Statistics Bureau, “Japan Statistical Yearbook, Chapter II: Population by sex and age,” Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, 2010,
http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/kokusei/2010/poj/pdf/2010ch02.pdf, [accessed January 16, 2013]
-  TNS Nipo, “Risicoperceptie bij overstromingen in relatie tot evacuatiebereidheid,” TNS Nipo Amsterdam, 2006,
https://www.infopuntveiligheid.nl/Infopuntdocumenten/175535_668_12535429 31732-Definitief_rapport_risicoperceptie_overstromingen.pdf [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  Programma Nationale Veiligheid, “Capaciteitenanalyse voor de taak grootschalige evacuatie,” Koninklijke Broese en Peereboom, 2008, http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/documenten-en-publicaties /rapporten/2008/05/30/capaciteitenanalyse-voor-de-taak-grootschalige-evacuatie.html [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  FEMA, “National Incident Management System,” FEMA Publications, 2008,
http://www.fema.gov/pdf/emergency/nims/NIMS_core.pdf [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  D. Lumbroso, K. Stone, and F. Vinet, “An assessment of flood emergency plans in England and Wales, France and the Netherlands,” Nat. Hazards., 2011.
-  Overheid.nl, “Wet- en regelgeving,” Overheid.nl, 2013,
http:// wetten.overheid.nl/zoeken/ [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  USA. gov, “Laws and regulations,” U.S. government, 2014,
http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Reference-Shelf/Laws.shtml [accessed January 16, 2014]
-  Japanese law translation database system, “Japanese law translation,” Ministry of Justice, 2014,
http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/?re=02 [accessed January 16, 2014]
-  M. J. Van Duin, M. J. Bezuyen, and U. Rosenthal, “Evacuaties bij hoog water: zelfredzaamheid en overheidszorg,” Crisis Onderzoek Team Rijksuniversiteit Leiden, Leiden, 1995.
-  A. Don and F. De Jong, “Water, geen nood! Quickscan zelfredzaamheid van verminderd zelfredzamen,” Primo NH, 2008,
http://www.wikivarium.nl /images/2/23/Quickscan_WATER_GEEN_NOOD.pdf [accessed July 17, 2013]
-  G. Sleijpen, “Home Internet access rate highest in the Netherlands,” Eurostat, Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek, 2012,
http://www.cbs.nl/en-GB/menu/themas/vrije-tijd-cultuur/publicaties/artikelen/archief/2012/2012-3636-wm.htm [accessed January 16, 2013]
-  ANP, “Website omroep Gelderland weer bereikbaar na explosie. Volkskrant,” 2012,
http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2664/Nieuws/article/detail/3344414/2012/11/08/ Website-Omroep-Gelderlandweer-bereikbaar-na-explosie.dhtml [accessed October 24, 2013]
-  A. J. Zautra, A. Arewasikporn, and M. C. Davis, “Resilience: promoting well-being through recovery, sustainability, and growth,” Res. in Hum. Dev., Vol.14, No.3, pp. 221-238, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.