Swine Influenza Surveillance in the Southeast Asia
Takehiko Saito*,**,***, Nobuhiro Takemae*,**, Haruka Abe**,
and Yuko Uchida*,**
*Influenza and Prion Research Center, National Institute of Animal Health, 3-1-5 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0856, Japan
**Zoonotic Disease Collaboration Center, Bangkok, Thailand
***United Graduate School of Veterinary Science, Gifu University, Yanagido, Gifu, Japan
We have been studying the swine influenza virus (SIV) in Thailand since 2005, followed by a study in Vietnam starting in 2010. We actively survey pig farms in both countries to isolate viruses, collecting nasal swabs mainly from clinically healthy pigs. Our results demonstrate the genetic diversity of the SIV in both countries and help fill gaps in knowledge in global molecular SIV epidemiology.
-  N. Takemae, S. Parchariyanon, S. Damrongwatanapokin, Y. Uchida, R. Ruttanapumma, C. Watanabe, et al. “Genetic diversity of swine influenza viruses isolated from pigs during 2000 to 2005 in Thailand,” Influenza Other Respi Viruses, Vol.2, No.5, pp. 181-9, 2008.
-  N. Komadina, V. Roque, P. Thawatsupha, J. Rimando-Magalong, S. Waicharoen, E. Bomasang, et al., “Genetic analysis of two influenza A (H1) swine viruses isolated from humans in Thailand and the Philippines,” Virus Genes, 2007.
-  N. Takemae, S. Parchariyanon, R. Ruttanapumma, Y. Hiromoto, T. Hayashi, Y. Uchida, et al., “Swine influenza virus infection in different age groups of pigs in farrow-to-finish farms in Thailand,” Virol J., Vol.8, p. 537, Epub 2011/12/15, 2011.
-  Y. Hiromoto, S. Parchariyanon, N. Ketusing, P. Netrabukkana, T. Hayashi, T. Kobayashi, et al., “Isolation of the Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus and its reassortant with an H3N2 swine influenza virus from healthy weaning pigs in Thailand in 2011,” Virus Res., Vol.169, No.1, pp. 175-81. Epub 2012/08/22, 2012.
-  L. T. Ngo, Y. Hiromoto, V. P. Pham, H. T. Le, H. T. Nguyen, V. T. Le et al., “Isolation of novel triple-reassortant swine H3N2 influenza viruses possessing the hemagglutinin and neuraminidase genes of a seasonal influenza virus in Vietnam in 2010,” Influenza Other RespiViruses, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 6-10. Epub 2011/06/15, 2012.
-  N. Takemae, T. Nguyen, L. T. Ngo, Y. Hiromoto, Y. Uchida, V. P. Pham, et al., “Antigenic variation of H1N1, H1N2 and H3N2 swine influenza viruses in Japan and Vietnam,” Arch Virol., Vol.158, No.4, pp. 859-76, Epub 2013/02/26, 2013.