Research Activities of Hokudai Center for Zoonosis Control in Zambia
Hideaki Higashi and Hiroshi Kida
Research Center for Zoonosis Control, Hokkaido University, Kita-20 Nishi-10, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 001-0020, Japan
The Hokkaido University Research Center for Zoonosis Control (CZC) established the Hokudai Center for Zoonosis Control in Zambia (HUCZCZ) at the School of Veterinary Medicine, the University of Zambia, in 2007 to control zoonotic diseases in the areas of South Africa, where various emerging infectious diseases have occurred. The CZC promotes epidemiological studies and basic researches of infectious diseases caused by viruses, protozoa, and bacteria by using the biosafety level 3 facility in the HUCZCZ. This article introduces research activities of the HUCZCZ in Zambia.
-  E. Nakayama and A. Takada, “Ebola and marburg viruses,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 381-389, 2011.
-  A. Ishii, Y. Thomas, L. Moonga, I. Nakamura, A. Ohnuma, IshB. Hang’ombe, A. Takada, A. S. Mweene, and H. Sawa, “Novel arenavirus, Zambia,” Emerg. Infect. Dis., Vol.17, pp. 1921-1924, 2011.
-  A. Ishii, Y. Thomas, L. Moonga, I. Nakamura, A. Ohnuma, M. B. Hang’ombe, A. Takada, A. S. Mweene, and H. Sawa, “Molecular surveillance and phylogenetic analysis of Old World arenaviruses in Zambia,” J. Gen. Virol., Vol.93, pp. 2247-2251, 2012.
-  Y. Orba, S. Kobayashi, I. Nakamura, A. Ishii, M. B. Hang’ombe, A. S. Mweene, Y. Thomas, T. Kimura, and H. Sawa, “Detection and characterization of a novel polyomavirus in wild rodents,” J. Gen. Virol., Vol.92, pp. 789-795, 2011.
-  H. Yamaguchi, S. Kobayashi, A. Ishii, H. Ogawa, I. Nakamura, L. Moonga, M. B. Hang’ombe, A. S. Mweene, Y. Thomas, T. Kimura, H. Sawa, and Y. Orba, “Identification of a novel polyomavirus from vervet monkeys in Zambia,” J. Gen. Virol., Vol.94, pp. 1357-1364, 2013.
-  E. Simulundu, A. S. Mweene, D. Tomabechi, M. B. Hang’ombe, A. Ishii, Y. Suzuki, I. Nakamura, H. Sawa, C. Sugimoto, K. Ito, H. Kida, L. Saiwana, and A. Takada, “Characterization of H3N6 avian influenza virus isolated from a wild white pelican in Zambia,” Arch. Virol., Vol.154, pp. 1517-1522, 2009.
-  M. B. Hang’ombe, J. C.Mwansa, S. Muwowo, P.Mulenga, M. Kapina, E. Musenga, D. Squarre, L.Mataa, S. Y. Thomas, H. Ogawa, H. Sawa, and H. Higashi, “Human – Animal Anthrax outbreak in the Luangwa valley of Zambia in 2011,” Trop. Doct., Vol.42, pp. 136-139, 2012.
-  N. Ohnishi, F. Maruyama, H. Ogawa, H. Kachi, S. Yamada, D. Fujikura, I. Nakagawa, M. B. Hang’ombe, Y. Thomas, A. S. Mweene, and H. Higashi, “Genome Sequence of Bacillus anthracis outbreak strain in Zambia, 2011,” Genome Announc., Vol.2, pp. e00116-14, 2014.
-  B. Namangala, E. Oparaocha, K. Kajino, K. Hayashida, L. Moonga, N. Inoue, Y. Suzuki, and C. Sugimoto, “Preliminary investigation of trypanosomosis in exotic dog breeds from Zambia’s Luangwa and Zambezi Valleys using LAMP,” Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg., Vol.89, pp. 116-118, 2013.