Joint Research Project on Infectious Diseases in West-African Subregion
Eiji Ido*,**, Takashi Suzuki*,**, William K. Ampofo***,
Irene Ayi***, Shoji Yamaoka*, Kwadwo A. Koram***,
and Nobuo Ohta*
*Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1-5-45 Yushima, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8510, Japan
**Ghana-Tokyo Medical and Dental University Research Collaboration Center, Legon, Ghana
***Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research, College of Health Sciences, University of Ghana, Legon, Ghana
-  L.R. Petersen, A.C. Brault, and R.S. Nasci, “West Nile virus: review of the literature,” JAMA, Vol.310, pp. 308-315, 2013.
-  National AIDS/STI Control Program, “HIV Sentinel Survey Report 2012,” Ghana Health Service, Ministry of Health, Ghana, 2013.
-  J. S. Barnor, N. Yamamoto, J. A. M. Brandful, W. Ampofo, J. H. K. Bonney, E. Bonney, J. K. Odoom, S. Aidoo, M. Alale, N. A. Ntim, Y. O. Amoah, S. B. Ofori, J. Ndzinu, I. D. Aziati, N. A. Addo, A. Nyarko, E. Ido, K. Ishikawa, and S. Yamaoka, “ Establishment of in-house quantitative real-time RT-PCR assay for HIV-1 viral load measurement and its application to evaluate efficacy of ART in Ghnanaian patients in an urban setting,” J AIDS Clin Res (in press).
-  “HIV-1 resistance mutation database,”
http://www.hiv.lanl.gov/content/sequence/RESDB/ [accessed June 26, 2014]
-  N. I. Nii-Trebi, S. Ibe, J. S. Barnor, K. Ishikawa, J. A. M. Brandful, S. B. Ofori, S. Yamaoka, W. K. Ampofo, and W. Sugiura, “HIV-1 drug-resistance surveillance among treatment -experienced and -naïve patients after the implementation of antiretroviral therapy in Ghana,” PLOS One, Vol.8, pp. e71972, 2013.
-  World Health Organization, “World Malaria Report 2013,”
http://www.who.int/malaria/publications/world_malaria_report_2013/en/ [accessed June 26, 2014]
-  B. Kwansa-Bentum, I. Ayi, T. Suzuki, J. Otchere, T. Kumaga, W. K. Anyan, J. H. Osei, H. Asahi, M. F. Ofori, N. Akao, M. D.Wilson, D. A. Boakye, and N. Ohta, “Plasmodium falciparum isolates from southern Ghana exhibit polymorphisms in the SERCA-type PfATPase6 though sensitive to artesunate in vitro,” Malar J, Vol.10, pp. 187, 2011.
-  U. Eckstein-Ludwig, R. J. Webb, I. D. van Goethem, J. M. East, A. G. Lee, M. Kimura, P. M. O’Neill, P. G. Bray, S. A. Ward, and S. Krishna, “Artemisinins target the SERCA of Plasmodium falciparum.” Nature, Vol.424, pp. 957-961, 2003.
-  A. C. Uhlemann, A. Cameron, U. Eckstein-Ludwig, J. Fischbarg, P. Iserovich, F. A. Zuniga, M. Eas, A. Lee, L. Brady, R. K. Haynes, and S. Krishna, “A single amino acid residue can determine the sensitivity of SERCAs to artemisinins,” Nat Struct Mol Biol, Vol.12, pp. 628-629, 2005.
-  K. A. Koram, B. Abuaku, N. Duah, and N. Quarshie, “Comparative efficacy ofantimalarial drugs including ACTs in the treatment of uncomplicated malaria among children under 5 years in Ghana,” Acta Trop, Vol.95, pp. 194-203, 2005.
-  J. G. Kublin, J. F. Cortese, E. M. Njunju, R. A. Mukadam, J. J. Wirima, P. N. Kazembe, A. A. Djimde, B. Kouriba, T. E. Taylor, and C. V. Plowe, “Reemergence of chloroquinesensitive Plasmodium falciparum malaria after cessation of chloroquine use in Malawi,” J Infect Dis, Vol.187, pp. 1870-1875, 2003.
-  T. Mita, A. Kaneko, J. K. Lum, B. Bwijo, M. Takechi, I. L. Zungu, T. Tsukahara, K. Tanabe, T. Kobayakawa, and A. Bjorkman, “Recovery of chloroquine sensitive and low prevalence of the Plasmodium falciparum chloroquine resistance transporter gene mutation K76T following the discontinuation of chloroquine use in Malawi,” Am J Trop Med Hyg, Vol.68, pp. 413-415, 2003.
-  B. Kwansa-Bentum, I. Ayi, T. Suzuki, J. Otchere, T. Kumagai, W. K. Anyan, H. Asahi, N. Akao, M. D. Wilson, D. A. Boakye, and N. Ohta, “Administrative practices of health professionals and use of artesunate-amodiaquine by community members for treating uncomplicated malaria in southern Ghana: implications for artemisinin-based combination therapy deployment,” Trop Med Int Health, Vol.16, pp. 1215-1224, 2011.
-  National HIV/AIDS/STI Control Program, “Guidelines for Antiretrovial Therapy in Ghana,” Ministry of Health/Ghana Health Service, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.