Precursory Phenomena Possibly Related to the 2011 M9.0 Off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake
Toshiyasu Nagao*, Yoshiaki Orihara**, and Masashi Kamogawa**
*Earthquake Prediction Research Center (EPRC), Tokai University, Orido, Shimizu, Shizuoka 424-0902, Japan
**Department of Physics, Tokyo Gakugei University, Koganei-shi, Tokyo 184-8501, Japan
In this article, we review papers on precursors for the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake. We discuss phenomena such as seismic, geodetic, electromagnetic, ionospheric, and macroscopic anomalies for which time scales range from a few decades to a few hours, from long-, mid- to short-term precursors. Of these, we treat ionospheric anomalies in the greatest detail. Through our review, we found that many “signals” preceded the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake.
-  “First Results of the 2011 Off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.63, No.7, pp. 511-902, 2011.
-  “The 2011 Tohoku Earthquake,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.64, No.12, pp. 1059-1308, 2012.
-  K. Katsumata, “A long-term seismic quiescence started 23 years before the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake (M = 9.0),” Earth Planets Space, Vol.63, pp. 709-712, 2011.
-  S. Wiemer and M. Wyss, “Seismic quiescence before the Landers (M = 7.5) and Big Bare (M = 6.5) 1992 earthquakes,” Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., Vol.84, pp. 900-916, 1994.
-  The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, “Preshock activity and quiescence for long-term seismic activity in and around Japan,” Report of CCEP (The Coordinating Committee for Earthquake Prediction, Japan), Vol.86, pp. 134-141, 2011.
-  Y. Ogata, “Significant improvements of the space-time ETAS model for forecasting of accurate baseline seismicity,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.63, pp. 217-229, 2011.
-  S. Yoshikawa and N. Hayashimoto, “Re-examination of seismic quiescence prior to the 2011 Tohoku earthquake,” Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2012, SSS25-03, 2012.
-  S. Tanaka, “Tidal triggering of earthquakes prior to the 2011 Tohoku-Oki earthquake (Mw9.1),” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.39, L00G26, doi:10.1029/2012GL051179, 2012.
-  K. Z. Nanjo, N. Hirata, K. Obara, and K. Kasahara, “Decadescale decrease in b value prior to the M9-class 2011 Tohoku and 2004 Sumatra quakes,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.39, L20304, doi:10.1029/2012GL052997, 2012.
-  N. Uchida and T. Matsuzawa, “Pre- and postseismic slow slip surrounding the 2011 Tohoku-oki earthquake rupture,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters,
-  H. Suito, T. Nishimura, M. Tobita, T. Imakiire, and S. Ozawa, “Interplate fault slip along the Japan Trench before the occurrence of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake as inferred from GPS data,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.63, pp. 615-619, 2011.
-  S. Ozawa, T. Nishimura, H. Munekane, H. Suito, T. Kobayashi, M. Tobita, and T. Imakiire, “Preceding, coseismic, and postseismic slips of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake, Japan,” J. Geophysical Res., Vol.117, B07404, doi:10.1029/2011JB009120, 2012.
-  Meteorological Research Institute, JMA, “Aseismic Slip Several Years Preceding the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake in the Source Area,” Report of The Coordinating Committee for Earthquake Prediction (CCCP), Japan, Vol.86, pp. 182-183, 2011.
-  T. Nagao, A. Takeuchi, and K. Nakamura, “A new algorithm for detection of seismic quiescence: introduction of RTM algorithm, a modified RTL algorithm,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.63, pp. 315-324, 2011.
-  P. Bak and C. Tang, “Earthquakes as a self-organized critical phenomenon.,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.94, pp. 15635-15637, 1989.
-  D. Sornette, “Critical Phenomena in Natural Sciences,” Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, 2000.
-  P. Varotsos, N. V. Sarlis, E. S. Skordas, S. Uyeda, and M. Kamogawa, “Natural time analysis of critical phenomena,” Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, Vol.108, pp. 11361-11364, 2011.
-  N. V., Sarlis, E. S., Skordas, P. A. Varotsos, T. Nagao, M. Kamogawa, H. Tanaka, and S. Uyeda, “Minimum of the order parameter fluctuations of seismicity before major earthquakes in Japan,” Proc. National Academy of Science (PNAS), Vol.110, pp. 13734-13738, 2013.
-  A. Kato, K. Obara, T. Igarashi, H. Tsuruoka, S. Nakagawa, and N. Hirata. “Propagation of Slow Slip Leading Up to the 2011 Mw9.0 Tohoku-Oki Earthquake,” Science, Vol.335, pp. 705-708, doi:10.1126/science.1215141, 2012.
-  Y. Ito, R. Hino, M. Kido, H. Fujimoto, Y. Osada, D. Inazu, Y. Ohta, T. Iinuma, M. Ohzono, S. Miura, M. Mishina, K. Suzuki, T. Tsuji, and J. Ashi, “Episodic slow slip events in the Japan subduction zone before the 2011 Tohoku-Oki earthquake,” Tectonophysics, doi:10.1016/j.tecto.2012.08.022, 2012.
-  K. Yumoto and MAGDAS Group, “Update on MAGDAS Activities Around the Globe during ISWI,” the 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Space Science and Communication, 978-1-4577-0564-9/11/, IEEE, pp. 1-4. 2011.
-  G. Xu, P. Han, A. Huang, K. Hattori, F. Febriani, and H. Yamaguchi, “Anomalous behaviors of geomagnetic diurnal variations prior to the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku earthquake (Mw9.0), ” Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, Vol.77, pp. 59-65, 2013.
-  S. Uyeda, M. Kamogawa, and T. Nagao, “Electromagnetic signals of Earthquakes,” Complexity in Earthquakes, Tsunamis, and Volcanoes, and Forecasting and Early Warning of their Hazards (ed. William H. K. Lee), Series of Encyclopedia of Complexity and System Science (Editor-in-Chief, Robert Meyers), Springer, pp. 2621-2635, 2009.
-  M. Kamogawa, ”Preseismic Lithosphere-Atmosphere-Ionosphere Coupling,” Eos Trans. AGU, Vol.87, pp. 417 and 424, 2006.
-  J. Y., Liu, Y. I. Chen, Y. J. Chuo, and C. S. Chen, “A statistical investigation of preearthquake ionospheric anomaly,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.111, A05304, doi:10.1029/2005JA011333, 2006.
-  M. Hayakawa, Y. Kasahara, T. Nakamura, F. Muto, T. Horie, S. Maekawa, Y. Hobara, A. A. Rozhnoi, M. Solovieva, and O. A. Molchanov, “A statistical study on the correlation between lower ionospheric perturbations as seen by subionospheric VLF/LF propagation and earthquakes,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.115, A09305, doi:10.1029/2009JA015143, 2010.
-  H. Le, J. Y. Liu, and L. Liu, “A statistical analysis of ionospheric anomalies before 736 M6.0+ earthquakes during 2002-2010,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.116, A02303, doi:10.1029/2010JA015781, 2011.
-  C. J. Rodger and M. A. Cliverd, “Comment on “Preseismic Lithosphere-Atmosphere-Ionosphere Coupling”,” Eos Trans. AGU, Vol.88, p. 248, doi:10.1029/2007EO230008, 2007.
-  M. Kamogawa, “Reply to Comment: “On Ionospheric Earthquake Prediction” by C. Rodger and M. Cliverd.” Eos Trans. AGU, Vol.88, pp. 248, 2007.
-  K. Heki, “Ionospheric electron enhancement preceding the 2011 Tohoku-Oki earthquake,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.38, L17312, doi:10.1029/2011GL047908, 2011.
-  Y. Kakinami, M. Kamogawa, Y. Tanioka, S. Watanabe, A. R. Gusman, J.-Y. Liu, Y. Watanabe, and T. Mogi, “Tsunamigenic ionospheric hole,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.39, L00G27, doi:10.1029/2011GL050159, 2012.
-  M. Kamogawa and Y. Kakinami, “Is an ionospheric electron enhancement preceding the 2011 Tohoku-Oki earthquake a precursor?,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.118, pp. 1751-1754, doi: 10.1002/jgra.50118, 2013.
-  K. Heki and Y. Enomoto, “Preseismic ionospheric electron enhancements revisited,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.118, pp. 6618-6626, doi:10.1002/jgra.50578, 2013.
-  D. Ouzounov, S. Pulinets, A. Romanov, A. Romanov, K. Tsybulya, D. Davidenko, M. Kafatos, and P. Taylor, “Atmosphere-ionosphere response to theM9 Tohoku earthquake revealed bymulti-instrument space-borne and ground observations: Preliminary results,” Earthquake Science, Vol.24, pp. 557-564, 2011.
-  S. Pulinets, T. A. Gaivoronska, A. Leyva-Contreras, and L. Ciraolo, “Correlation analysis technique revealing ionospheric precursors of earthquakes, “ Nat Hazards Earth System Sci. (NHESS), Vol.4, pp. 697-702, 2004.
-  A. Yoshimura, “Sanriku Kaigan Ohtsunami (Sanriku Offshore Great Tsunami),” Bungeishunju, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  R. G. Harrison, K. L. Aplin, and M. J. Rycroft, “Atmospheric electricity coupling between earthquake regions and the ionosphere,” Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, Vol.72, pp. 376-381, 2010.
-  M. Takeda, M. Yamauchi, M. Makino, and T. Owada, “Initial effect of the Fukushima accident on atmospheric electricity,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.38, L15811, doi:10.1029/2011GL048511, 2011.
-  Y. Kakinami, M. Kamogawa, J. Y. Liu, S. Watanabe, and T. Mogi, “Ionospheric disturbance associated with radiation accidents of Fukushima I nuclear power plant damaged by the M9.0 2011 Tohoku Earthquake,” Advances in Space Research, Vol.48, pp. 1613-1616, 2011.
-  N. Takeuchi, N. Chubachi, K. Narita, N. Honma, and T. Takahashi, “Lightning Activity and Earth Potential Difference Signals about the Off East Hokkaido Earthquake, ” IEEJ Trans. on Electronics, Information and Systems, Vol.116-C, No.6, pp. 719-724, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  T. Nagao, Y. Enomoto, Y. Fujinawa, M. Hata, M. Hayakawa, Q. Huang, J. Izutsu, Y. Kushida, K. Maeda, K. Oike, S. Uyeda, and T. Yoshino, “Electromagnetic anomalies associated with 1995 KOBE earthquake,” J. Geodynamics, Vol.33, pp. 401-411, 2002.
-  H. Fujiwara, M. Kamogawa, M. Ikeda, J. Y. Liu, H. Sakata, Y. I. Chen, H. Ofuruton, S. Muramatsu, Y. J. Chuo, and H. Ohtsuki, “Atmospheric anomalies observed during earthquake occurrences,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.31, L17110, doi:10.1029/2004GL019865, 2004.
-  J. Y. Liu, Y. I. Chen, Y. J. Chuo, and C. S. Chen, “A statistical investigation of preearthquake ionospheric anomaly,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.111, A05304, doi:10.1029/2005JA011333, 2006.
-  Y. Orihara, M. Kamogawa, T. Nagao, and S. Uyeda, “Preseismic anomalous telluric current signals observed in Kozu-shima Island, Japan,” Proc. of National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS), Vol.109, No.47, pp. 19125-19128, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1215669109, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.