Uncertainty Estimation During the Process of Flood Risk Assessment in Developing Countries – Case Study in the Pampanga River Basin –
Toshio Okazumi, Mamoru Miyamoto, Badri Bhakta Shrestha,
and Maksym Gusyev
International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management, Public Works Research Institute, 1-6 Minamihara, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8516, Japan
-  The Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters (CRED), “Disaster trend,” EM-DAT,
http://www.emdat.be [accessed Sep. 10, 2013]
-  Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology, “Evaluation of measurement data – guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement,” JCGM 100:2008, GUM 1995 with minor corrections, corrected version 2010.
-  H. Apel, A. H. Thieken, B. Merz, and G. Blöschl, “A probabilistic modeling system for assessing flood risks,” Natural Hazards, Vol.38, pp. 79-100, DOI: 10.1007/s1069-005-8603-7, 2006.
-  B. Merz and A. H. Thieken, “Flood risk curves and uncertainty bounds,” Natural Hazards, Vol.51, No.3, pp. 437-458; DOI:10.1007/s11069-009-9452-6, 2009.
-  K. Takemura, K. Yoshikawa, and S. Fujii, “Taxonomy of uncertainties and risk evaluation,” A proposal of the theoretical framework, Journal of Socio-technological Research, Vol.2, pp. 12-20, Oct. 2004 (in Japanese).
-  National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, “Sitrep no.11 re Effects of Tropical Storm “HELEN” and enhanced southwest monsoon,” NDRRMC UPDATA, August 19, 2012.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “River and sabo technical standard, investigation,” June 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Flood Disaster Prevention Division, Research Center for Disaster Management, National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Japan, “Checklist of flood forecasting system, ver. 2009, details and supplemental explanation,” June 2010 (in Japanese).
-  T. Sugiura, K. Fukami, N. Fujiwara, K. Hamaguchi, S. Nakamura, S. Hironaka, K. Nakamura, T. Wada, M. Ishikawa, T. Shimizu, H. Inomata, and K. Ito, “Development of integrated flood analysis sytem (IFAS) and its applications,” Proceeding of the 8th International Conference on Hydroinfomatics (HIC2009), CD-ROM, 2009.
-  M. Miyamoto, A. Sugiura, T. Okazumi, S. Tanaka, S. Nabesaka, and K. Fukami, “Suggestion for an advanced early warning system based on flood forecasting in Bengawan Solo river basin, Indonesia,” Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, Hamburg, Germany, 2012.
-  K. Takeuchi, P. Hapuarachchi, M. Zhou, H. Ishidaira, and J. Magome, “A BTOP model to extend TOPMODEL for distributed hydrological simulation of large basins,” Hydrological Processes, Vol.22, pp. 3236-3251, 2008.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “Manual on flood control and economic survey,” April 2005 (in Japanese).
-  B. B. Shrestha, T. Okazumi, S. Tanaka, A. Sugiura, Y. Kwak, and S. Hibino, “Development of flood vulnerability indices for lower Mekong basin in Cambodian floodplain,” Annual Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, JSCE, Vol.57, February, 2013.
-  T. Okazumi, S. Tanaka, Y. Kwak, B. B. Shrestha, and A. Sugiura, “Flood vulnerability assessment in the light of rice cultivation characteristics in Mekong river flood plain in Cambodia,” Paddy and Water Environment, DOI 10.1007/s10333-013-043-1, 2013.
-  Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology-Japan, “Report in 2011, projection of the change in future weather extremes using super-high-resolution atmospheric models, innovative program of climate change projection for the 21st century,” p. 211, March 2012 (in Japanese).
-  A. Sugiura, S. Tanaka, T. Okazumi, Y. Kwak, S. Hibino, and B. B. Shrestha, “Calculation of flood house damages in the Mekong river basin in Cambodia,” 6th International Perspective on Water resources and the Environment, Turkey, January 2013.
-  Bureau of Agricultural Statistics, “Manual on damage assessment and reporting system,” Department of Agriculture, Philippines, February 2013.
-  T. Sayama, Y. Tatebe, M. Fujioka, T. Ushiyama, A. Yorozuya, and S. Tanaka, “Rainfall – runoff inundation forecasting in 2011 Thailand flood,” Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineering, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  T. Sayama, G. Ozawa, T. Kawakami, S. Nabesaka, and K. Fukami, “Rainfall-runoff-inundation analysis of Pakistan flood 2010 at the Kabul river basin,” Hydrological Science Journal, IAHS, 2011.
-  Bulacan Provincial Agricultural Office, “Final validation report for cereals,” 2011.
-  A. Yorozuya, H. Kamimera, T. Okazumi, and Y. Kwak, “Study about estimation of water surface elevation on inundated area applying satellite based information,” Journal of River Engineering, Japan Society of Civil Engineering, Vol.19, pp. 341-344, June 2013 (in Japanese).
-  T. Okazumi and S. Tanaka, “Applicable methodologies for flood risk assessment in the river basin in developing countries,” Journal of River Engineering, Japan Society of Civil Engineering, Vol.19, pp. 17-20, June 2013 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.