A Study on Internal Radiation Exposure due to 137Cs Caused by Fukushima Daiichi NPP Accident
Tomoyuki Furutani*1, Masaharu Tsubokura*2, Keisuke Uehara*3,
Masahiko Nihei*4, and Yu Sakuma*4
*1Faculty of Policy Management, Keio University, 5322, Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-0082, Japan
*2The Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Shirokanedai, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8639, Japan
*3Faculty of Environment and Information Studies, Keio University, 5322, Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-0882, Japan
*4Hirata Radioactivity Inspection Center, 30 Oosumi, Kamiyomogita, Hirata-mura, Ishikawa-gun, Fukushima, Japan
This paper aims to clarify the effect of 137Cs internal exposure after the Fukushima Daiichi NPP accident. Using data of approximately 34,000 examinees of a whole-body counter conducted by the Hirata Central Hospital from October 11, 2011 to January 31, 2013, the relationship between internal radiation dose and food ingestion is empirically and quantitatively demonstrated. As a result, elderly people who lived near the Fukushima NPPs and have daily eaten local rice and fungi have a tendency to display higher internal radiation dose.
Masahiko Nihei, and Yu Sakuma, “A Study on Internal Radiation Exposure due to 137Cs Caused by Fukushima Daiichi NPP Accident,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.8, No.sp, pp. 756-761, 2013.
-  F. Shishido et al., “Emergency medical system of exposure and response to nuclear power plant accident by TEPCO and future subjects,” Surgery Frontier, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 35-38, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  M. Tsubokura et al., “Internal Radiation Exposure After the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant Disaster,” The Journal of American Medical Association, Vol.308, No.7, pp. 669-670, 2012, doi:10.1001/jama.2012.9839.
-  K. Harada et al., “Dietary Intake of Radiocesium in Adult Residents in Fukushima Prefecture and Neighboring Regions after the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant Accident: 24-h Food-Duplicate Survey in December 2011,” Environ. Sci. Technol., Vol.47, No.6, pp. 2520-2526, 2013, doi: 10.1021/es304128t
-  N. Kamada et al., “Radiation doses among residents living 37 km northwest of the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant,” Journal of Environment Radioactivity, Vol.110, pp. 84-89, August 2012.
-  Hirata Radioactivity Inspection Center,
http://www.fukkousienzaidan.net/reserch/index.html (in Japanese) [accessed May 26, 2013]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.