The Six Principles of Recovery: A Guideline for Preparing for Future Disaster Recoveries
Takaaki Kato*, Yasmin Bhattacharya**, Hiroshi Sugata*,
and Rie Otagiri*
*Institute of Industrial Sciences, the University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
**Department of Urban Engineering, the University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
-  Cabinet Office, “Disaster Management in Japan,” Tokyo: Director General for Disaster Management Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, 2011,
http://www.bousai.go.jp/1info/pdf/saigaipanf e.pdf [accessed March 1, 2013]
-  T. Kato, “The future of disaster risk reduction planning,” in The Forefront of Recovery Planning – Great East Japan Earthquake T. Onishi, T. Kidokoro, and F. Seta (Eds.), Japan, Gakugei Shuppansha, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  A. Sorensen, “Japan’s first urban planning system” in The Making of Urban Japan, New York: Routledge, pp. 114-150, 2002.
-  R. E. Munich, “Statistics and Natural Hazard Risk for 50 Selected Megacities,” Germany: Munchen, 2005,
http://www.munichre.com/app_pages/www/@res/pdf/media_relations/press_releases/legacy/pm_2005_01_11_01_en.pdf [accessed April 1, 2013]
-  C. Hein and P. Pelletetier, “Cities, Autonomy, and Decentralization in Japan,” New York: Routledge, 2006.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT), “MLIT Government Report,” Chapter 1, 2010 (in Japanese),
http://www.mlit.go.jp/hakusyo/mlit/h21/hakusho/h22/pdf/kp111000.pdf [accessed May 1, 2013]
-  National Institute of Population and Social Security Research, “Population statistics report” (in Japanese),
http://www.ipss.go.jp/index-e.asp [accessed July 1, 2013]
-  Cabinet Office, “Disaster Management Report,” Tokyo: Director General for Disaster Management Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, 2012 (in Japanese),
http://www.bousai.go.jp/kaigirep/hakusho/pdf/H24 honbun_1-4bu.pdf [accessed July 1, 2013]
-  D. W. Edginton, “Reconstructing Kobe the geography of crisis an opportunity,” Vancouver: UBC Press, 2010.
-  R. Aota, S. Tsukui, E. Yamasaki, S. Yamanaka, and S. Yamamoto, “Special Feature: On the Draft of the Disaster Recovery and Rehabilitation Basic Act,” Studies in Disaster Recovery and Revitalization, No.2, pp. 1-115, 2010 (in Japanese),
http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/40017216647/en/ [accessed May 1, 2013]
-  T. Kato, “Recovery Time: The Amazing Speed of Recovery from the 2008 Wenchuan” (in Japanese). Journal of Architecture and Building Science, Vol.127, No.1629, pp. 44-45, 2012.
-  Y. Guo, “Urban resilience in post-disaster reconstruction: Towards a resilient development in Sichuan, China,” International Journal of Disaster Risk Science, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 45-55, 2012, http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs13753-012-0006-2 [accessed May 1, 2013]
-  T. Onishi, “Nationwide joint-support for facilitating independent recovery” presented in The Reconstruction Design Council in Response to the Great East Japan Earthquake, 1st meeting, 2011 (in Japanese),
http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/fukkou/pdf/kousou1/onishi.pdf [accessed May 1, 2013]
-  Y. Honjo and S. Tatsuki, “Inter-municipality Collaboration during Large Scale Disasters: Case study of dispatchment of Kobe municipality officials during the Great East Japan Earthquake,” Journal of Social Safety Science, No.18, pp. 411-419, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  177th Budget Committee Meeting of House of Councillors Report, Vol.7, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  MLIT (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism), “Laws Related to the Tsunami Disaster Prevention Oriented Regional Development,” 2011 (in Japanese),
http://www.mlit.go.jp/common/000190963.pdf [accessed May 1, 2013]
-  MLIT (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism), “Survey on Current Situation on Local Participants in (Fukko) Machizukuri,” Japan: Community Development Promotion Division, MLIT, 2011 (in Japanese),
http://www.mlit.go.jp/crd/index/case/pdf/120601tiikinoninaite_houkokusho.pdf [accessed July 1, 2013]
-  M. Sawada, “Reconstruction Process at the Same Place from the Niigata Chuetsu Earthquake: Discussion Process of Community Integration in Ojiya Higashiyama Area,” Journal of Social Safety Science, No.28, pp. 61-62, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  B. Wisner (Ed.), “At risk: natural hazards, people’s vulnerability and disasters,” Psychology Press, 2004.
-  T. Kato, “Disccussion on Possible Recovery Problems in a case of Metroplitan Inland Earthquake Disaster and the Necessity of Pre-Disaster Image Traning for Livelihood Recovery and Urban Reconstruction,” Journal Disaster Recovery and Revitalization, No.1, pp. 1-5, March 2010 (in Japanese).
-  T. Ichiko, J. Yoshikawa, and I. Nakabayashi, “A study of chronicles and outcomes of community workshops for post-disaster recovery in Tokyo – Reviewing towards post-period for Tohoku-Pacific Ocean Earthquake,” Journal of the City Planning Institute of Japan, Vol.47, No.3, pp. 877-882, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  R. Shibasaki, “Response and Recovery Process of Hurrican Katrina Disaster – Implication for Recovery from the Great East Japan Earthquake” in Technical Note of National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management, No.650, Japan: National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, 2011 (in Japanese),
http://www.nilim.go.jp/lab/bcg/siryou/tnn/tnn0650pdf/ks0650.pdf [accessed May 1, 2013]
-  T. Ota, L. Johnson, N. Maki, and H. Hayashi, “Planning Process of Long-term Disaster Recovery Plan – a comparative study of planning process with Kobe and New Orleans” Proceedings of Institute of Social Safety Science, No.13, pp.335-345, 2010 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.