The Six Principles of Recovery: A Guideline for Preparing for Future Disaster Recoveries
Takaaki Kato*, Yasmin Bhattacharya**, Hiroshi Sugata*,
and Rie Otagiri*
*Institute of Industrial Sciences, the University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
**Department of Urban Engineering, the University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
This paper introduces the issues emerging in the context of recovery after the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake. It considers the historical development of recovery planning in Japan and its influence on the present recovery strategies. The authors have tried to point out the insufficiencies of existing policies to deal with the unexpected magnitude of this disaster and identify a set of six principles for recovery which would enable a better equipped society both in terms of pre-disaster preparedness and post-disaster recovery.
-  Cabinet Office, “Disaster Management in Japan,” Tokyo: Director General for Disaster Management Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, 2011,
http://www.bousai.go.jp/1info/pdf/saigaipanf e.pdf [accessed March 1, 2013]
-  T. Kato, “The future of disaster risk reduction planning,” in The Forefront of Recovery Planning – Great East Japan Earthquake T. Onishi, T. Kidokoro, and F. Seta (Eds.), Japan, Gakugei Shuppansha, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  A. Sorensen, “Japan’s first urban planning system” in The Making of Urban Japan, New York: Routledge, pp. 114-150, 2002.
-  R. E. Munich, “Statistics and Natural Hazard Risk for 50 Selected Megacities,” Germany: Munchen, 2005,
http://www.munichre.com/app_pages/www/@res/pdf/media_relations/press_releases/legacy/pm_2005_01_11_01_en.pdf [accessed April 1, 2013]
-  C. Hein and P. Pelletetier, “Cities, Autonomy, and Decentralization in Japan,” New York: Routledge, 2006.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT), “MLIT Government Report,” Chapter 1, 2010 (in Japanese),
http://www.mlit.go.jp/hakusyo/mlit/h21/hakusho/h22/pdf/kp111000.pdf [accessed May 1, 2013]
-  National Institute of Population and Social Security Research, “Population statistics report” (in Japanese),
http://www.ipss.go.jp/index-e.asp [accessed July 1, 2013]
-  Cabinet Office, “Disaster Management Report,” Tokyo: Director General for Disaster Management Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, 2012 (in Japanese),
http://www.bousai.go.jp/kaigirep/hakusho/pdf/H24 honbun_1-4bu.pdf [accessed July 1, 2013]
-  D. W. Edginton, “Reconstructing Kobe the geography of crisis an opportunity,” Vancouver: UBC Press, 2010.
-  R. Aota, S. Tsukui, E. Yamasaki, S. Yamanaka, and S. Yamamoto, “Special Feature: On the Draft of the Disaster Recovery and Rehabilitation Basic Act,” Studies in Disaster Recovery and Revitalization, No.2, pp. 1-115, 2010 (in Japanese),
http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/40017216647/en/ [accessed May 1, 2013]
-  T. Kato, “Recovery Time: The Amazing Speed of Recovery from the 2008 Wenchuan” (in Japanese). Journal of Architecture and Building Science, Vol.127, No.1629, pp. 44-45, 2012.
-  Y. Guo, “Urban resilience in post-disaster reconstruction: Towards a resilient development in Sichuan, China,” International Journal of Disaster Risk Science, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 45-55, 2012, http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs13753-012-0006-2 [accessed May 1, 2013]
-  T. Onishi, “Nationwide joint-support for facilitating independent recovery” presented in The Reconstruction Design Council in Response to the Great East Japan Earthquake, 1st meeting, 2011 (in Japanese),
http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/fukkou/pdf/kousou1/onishi.pdf [accessed May 1, 2013]
-  Y. Honjo and S. Tatsuki, “Inter-municipality Collaboration during Large Scale Disasters: Case study of dispatchment of Kobe municipality officials during the Great East Japan Earthquake,” Journal of Social Safety Science, No.18, pp. 411-419, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  177th Budget Committee Meeting of House of Councillors Report, Vol.7, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  MLIT (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism), “Laws Related to the Tsunami Disaster Prevention Oriented Regional Development,” 2011 (in Japanese),
http://www.mlit.go.jp/common/000190963.pdf [accessed May 1, 2013]
-  MLIT (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism), “Survey on Current Situation on Local Participants in (Fukko) Machizukuri,” Japan: Community Development Promotion Division, MLIT, 2011 (in Japanese),
http://www.mlit.go.jp/crd/index/case/pdf/120601tiikinoninaite_houkokusho.pdf [accessed July 1, 2013]
-  M. Sawada, “Reconstruction Process at the Same Place from the Niigata Chuetsu Earthquake: Discussion Process of Community Integration in Ojiya Higashiyama Area,” Journal of Social Safety Science, No.28, pp. 61-62, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  B. Wisner (Ed.), “At risk: natural hazards, people’s vulnerability and disasters,” Psychology Press, 2004.
-  T. Kato, “Disccussion on Possible Recovery Problems in a case of Metroplitan Inland Earthquake Disaster and the Necessity of Pre-Disaster Image Traning for Livelihood Recovery and Urban Reconstruction,” Journal Disaster Recovery and Revitalization, No.1, pp. 1-5, March 2010 (in Japanese).
-  T. Ichiko, J. Yoshikawa, and I. Nakabayashi, “A study of chronicles and outcomes of community workshops for post-disaster recovery in Tokyo – Reviewing towards post-period for Tohoku-Pacific Ocean Earthquake,” Journal of the City Planning Institute of Japan, Vol.47, No.3, pp. 877-882, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  R. Shibasaki, “Response and Recovery Process of Hurrican Katrina Disaster – Implication for Recovery from the Great East Japan Earthquake” in Technical Note of National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management, No.650, Japan: National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, 2011 (in Japanese),
http://www.nilim.go.jp/lab/bcg/siryou/tnn/tnn0650pdf/ks0650.pdf [accessed May 1, 2013]
-  T. Ota, L. Johnson, N. Maki, and H. Hayashi, “Planning Process of Long-term Disaster Recovery Plan – a comparative study of planning process with Kobe and New Orleans” Proceedings of Institute of Social Safety Science, No.13, pp.335-345, 2010 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.