Prototype of a Real-Time System for Earthquake Damage Estimation in Japan
Hiromitsu Nakamura, Shin Aoi, Takashi Kunugi,
Wataru Suzuki, and Hiroyuki Fujiwara
National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, 3-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0006, Japan
J-RISQ, a real-time system for earthquake damage estimation, was developed provide information by combining amplification characteristic data for subsurface ground accumulated in the course of the development of the Japan Seismic Hazard Information Station (JSHIS), basic information on population and buildings, methods for predicting ground motion, methods for assessing building damage, and strong motion data observed by K-NET and KiK-net in real-time. J-RISQ estimates spatial ground motion distribution from seismic intensity information sent at different timing for observation stations, estimates population exposure to seismic intensity and building damage using estimated ground motion as input, and provides information to users via Web browser or email using Web GIS. J-RISQ estimation is based on intensity data obtained at different timing to ensure recency by updating results when it receives new data and updates results when it receives estimation results. J-RISQ provides and collects information using questionnaires from users on actual motion and damage situations. We have operated the system on trial from 2010 and estimated over 500 earthquakes in real-time. As a result, the system provides the first report 30 seconds after it receives intensity information at a certain level or larger, thus showing sufficient performance from the perspective of providing immediate information.
Wataru Suzuki, and Hiroyuki Fujiwara, “Prototype of a Real-Time System for Earthquake Damage Estimation in Japan,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.8, No.5, pp. 981-989, 2013.
-  D. J. Wald, P. S. Earle, T. I. Allen, K. Jaiswal, K. Porter, and M. Hearne, “Development of the U.S. Geological Survey’s PAGER system (Prompt assessment of global earthquakes for response),” Proc. 14th World Conf. Earth. Eng., Beijing, Chaina, Paper10-0008, 2008.
-  Cabinet Office, “Development of earthquake disaster information system,” White paper on disaster prevention, pp. 89-93, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  H. Fujiwara, S. Kawai, S. Aoi, N. Morikawa, S. Senna, N. Kudo, M. Ooi, K. X. S. Hao, K. Wakamatsu, Y. Ishikawa, T. Okumura, S. Ishii, Matsushima, Y. Hayakawa, N. Toyama, and A. Narita, “A Study on “National Seismic Hazard Maps for Japan”,” Technical Note of the National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, No.336, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kunugi, S. Aoi, and H. Fujiwara, “Strong-Motion Observation in Japan,” Zisin 2, No.61, pp. S19-S34, 2009 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  S. Aoi, T. Kunugi, H. Nakamura, and H. Fujiwara, “Deployment of new strong motion seismographs of K-NET and KiK-net,” Earthquake Data in Engineering Seismology, Geotechnical, Geological, and Earthquake Engineering, Vol.14, pp. 167-186, Springer, 2011.
-  F. Yamazaki, J. Onishi, S. Tayama, and T. Takano, “Development of fragility curves for expressway structures in Japan,” Japan Earthquake Engineering Symposium Proceedings, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 3491-3496, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  N. Nojima, M. Sugito, M. Matsushita, and K. Yagyu, “Ground motion characteristics during the 1999 Chi-Chi, Taiwan, Earthquake estimated by the krigging interpolation,” Proceedings of the JSCE Earthquake Engineering Symposium, pp. 417-420, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  I. Suetomi, E. Ishida, Y. Fukushima, R. Isoyama, and S. Sawada, “Mixing method of geomorphologi classification and borehole data for estimation of average shear-wave velocity and distribution of peak ground motion during the 2004 Niigata-Chuetsu Earthquake,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 1-12, 2007 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  K. Fujimoto and S. Midorikawa, “Empirical method for estimating J.M.A. instrumental seismic intensity from ground motion parameters using strong motion records during recent major earthquakes,” Institute of Social Safety Science, No.7, pp. 241-246, 2005 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  K. Wakamatsu and M. Matsuoka, “Development of the 7.5-arcsecond Japan engineering geomorphologic classification map,” Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, pp. 222-223, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  M. Matsuoka and K. Wakamatsu, “AVS30 based on the 7.5-arcsecond Japan engineering geomorphologic classification map,” National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, H20PR0-936, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  K. Fujimoto and S. Midorikawa, “Relationship between average shear-wave velocity and site amplification inferred from strong motion records at nearby station pairs,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 11-22, 2006 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  P. Wessel and W. H. F. Smith, “New, improved version of Generic Mapping Tools released,” EOS Trans., Vol.79, No.47, p. 579, 1998.
-  J. R. Shewchuk, “Triangle: Engineering a 2D Quality Mesh Generator and Delaunay Triangulator,” First Workshop on Applied Computational Geometry (Philadelphia, PA), pp. 124-133, 1996.
-  M. Ooi, K. Ishibashi, and H. Fujiwara, “Development of the building structure database for seismic risk evaluation,” Japan Earthquake Engineering Symposium, proceeding, pp. 1708-1715, 2010 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  O. Murao and F. Yamazaki, “Development of fragility curves for buildings based on damages survey data of a local government after the 1995 Hyogoken-Nanbu Earthquake,” J. Struct. Eng., No.527, pp. 189-196, 2000 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  K. Horie, “Complete collapse of wooden buildings due to the 1995 Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake,” Zisin Journal, Vol.38, pp. 30-41, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  O. Murao and F. Yamazaki, “Building fragility curves for the 1995 Hyogoken-Nanbu Earthquake based on CPIJ & AIJ’s survey results with detailed inventory,” J. Struct. Eng., No.555, pp. 185-192, 2002 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  Cabinet Office, “Estimation method of seismic damage for Tokyo Metropolitan Earthquake,” 2004 (in Japanese),http://www.bousai.go.jp/jishin/syuto/pdf/shiryou3.pdf [accessed August 1, 2013]
-  D. J.Wald, V. Quitoriano, L. Dengler, and J.W. Dewey, “Utilization of the internet for rapid community intensity maps,” Seism. Res. Letters, Vol.70, pp. 680-697, 1999.
-  T. Kunugi, S. Aoi, W. Suzuki, H. Nakamura, N. Morikawa, and H. Fujiwara, “Strong Motions of the 2011 Tohoku-Oki Earthquake,” NIED Natural Disaster Research Report, No.48, pp. 63-72, 2012 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  Fire and Disaster Management Agency, “ The 147th report on The 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” 2013 (in Japanese), http://www.fdma.go.jp/bn/higaihou/pdf/jishin/147.pdf [accessed August 1, 2013]
-  H. Nakamura, S. Aoi, T. Kunugi, W. Suzuki, S. Naito, H. Azuma, and H. Fujiwara, “A social experiment of a new strong-motion monitoring system (Kyoshin Monitor) with earthquake early warning,” Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2013, SSS23-P05, 2013.
-  Y. Sakai, K. Koketsu, and T. Kanno, “Proposal of the destructive power index of strong ground motion for prediction of building damage ratio,” J. Struct. Constr. Eng., AIJ, No.555, pp. 85-91, 2002 (in Japanese with English abstract).