Development of Earthquake Risk Evaluation Method for Individual Buildings Intended for Utilization in Local Communities
Ippei Kondo*, Ryo Wakabayashi*, Kaoru Mizukoshi*,
Akihiro Kusaka**, Hiroyuki Fujiwara***, and Nobusuke Hasegawa***
*Engineering & Risk Services Corporation, 4-9-9 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-0052, Japan
**Kobori Research Complex Inc., 6-5-30 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8502, Japan
***National Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, 3-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki 305-0006, Japan
This article discusses an earthquake risk evaluation method supporting earthquake disaster-prevention activities practiced by local residents in local communities. The evaluation method is first outlined and verified using strong motion observation data and damage data from recent earthquakes, including the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake. The features of the method are discussed and future challenges presented from the view of using earthquake risk evaluation in local communities.
Akihiro Kusaka, Hiroyuki Fujiwara, and Nobusuke Hasegawa, “Development of Earthquake Risk Evaluation Method for Individual Buildings Intended for Utilization in Local Communities,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.8, No.5, pp. 962-973, 2013.
-  General Insurance Rating Organization, “A survey Concerning Damage Estimation Methods for Buildings of Earthquake Damage Assessments Executed by the Local Governments,” Jul. 2006 (in Japanese).
-  T. Morii, Y. Hayashi, and A. Saratani, “Semiempirical Method for Predicting Seismic Damage ofWood Houses Based on Seismic Performance,” J. of Society Safety Science, No.7, pp. 281-289, Nov. 2005 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Hayashi, A. Saratani, and T. Morii, “Earthquake Damage Prediction of Wood Houses Considering Aged Deterioration and Local Seismic Hazard, Journal of Structural and Construction Engineering,” Architectural Institute of Japan, No.615, pp. 77-84, May 2007 (in Japanese).
-  People Protection, Disaster Prevention Division of Fire and Disaster Management Agency, “Study Group on the Role of Local Communities for the Maintenance and Improvement of Disaster Response Capacity Report,” Mar. 2009 (in Japanese),
http://www.fdma.go.jp/neuter/topics/houdou/h21/2105/210508-1houdou/02_houkok [accessed April 22, 2013]
-  Y. Masuzawa, K. Mizukoshi, I. Kondo, H. Fujiwara, S. Kawai, N. Morikawa, H. Matsuyama, and Y. Hayakawa, “A Study on Detailed Seismic Risk Assessment for Specific Scenario Earthquakes,” The 13th Japan Earthquake Engineering Symposium, pp. 2592-2599, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  T. Iwasaki, N. Yamaguchi, K.Mizukoshi, I. Suetomi, and H. Okano, “Rapid Damage Estimation Method for Buildings,” Summaries of technical papers of annual meeting Architectural Institute of Japan, B-2, Structure II, pp. 1029-1030, Jul. 2004 (in Japanese).
-  National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention (NIED) – Earthquake Disaster Mitigation Research Center (EDM), Kawasaki Laboratory, “Summary Report of Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Special Project for Earthquake Disaster Mitigation in Urban Area III-1 Development of Integrated Earthquake Disaster Simulator,” 2007 (in Japanese).
-  K. A. Porter, J. L. Beck, and R. V. Shaikhutdinov, “Sensitivity of building loss estimates to major uncertain variables,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 719-743, 2002.
-  Editorial Committee on Guideline for Earthquake Resistance Design of Conventional Wooden Frame Structure Building, “Guideline for Earthquake Resistance Design of Wooden Structure by Apply Traditional Structure System,” Earthquake Resistance Design and Retrofit by Limit States Design, Mar. 2004 (in Japanese).
-  The Japan Building Disaster Prevention Association, “Seismic Inspection and Retrofit for Wooden Houses,” 2004 (in Japanese).
-  J. Miyakoshi, “Relationship Between Damage Index with Different Criteria” The 1st Japan Earthquake Engineering Symposium, p. 159, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  K. Wakamatsu, J. Kubo, M. Matsuoka, K. Hasegawa, and M. Sugiura, “Japan Engineering Geomorphologic Classification Map,” University of Tokyo Press, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kanno, A. Narita, N. Morikawa, H. Fujiwara, and Y. Fukushima, “A new attenuation relation for strong ground motion in Japan based on recorded data,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.96, No.3, pp. 879-897, Jun. 2006.
-  National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention (NIED) – Earthquake Disaster Mitigation Research Center (EDM), Kawasaki Laboratory, “Public Software developed in Special Project for Earthquake Disaster Mitigation in Urban Area, III.1 Development of Integrated Simulator for Earthquake Disaster, and III.2 Development of Advanced Disaster Simulator for Urban Area,” Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology,
http://www.kedm.bosai.go.jp/japanese/daidaitoku/software.html [accessed June 22, 2009]
-  M. Ooi, K. Ishibasi, and H. Fujiwara, “Development of the national building classification database for seismic risk assessment,” The 13th Japan Earthquake Engineering Symposium, pp. 1708-1715, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  Statistics Bureau of Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, “2008 Housing and Land Survey,”
http://www.stat.go.jp/data/jyutaku/2008/index.htm [accessed September 12, 2012 ]
-  A. H.-S. Ang and W. H. Tang, “Probability concepts in engineering planning and design. Volume II – decision, risk and reliability,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1984.
-  T. Iwasaki, K. Mizukoshi, and M. Motosaka, “A Study on Earthquake Damage Estimation Method for Wooden Buildings Considering Regional Characteristics,” Japan Society for Natural Disaster Science, 21st Annual Meeting, pp. 66-64, Sep. 2002 (in Japanese).
-  Fire and Disaster Management Agency of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, “145th Report on The 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” 2012.3,
http://www.fdma.go.jp/bn/higaihou/pdf/jishin/145.pdf [accessed January 21, 2013]