The 2011 Tohoku Tsunami Flow Velocity Estimation by the Aerial Video Analysis and Numerical Modeling
Satomi Hayashi* and Shunichi Koshimura**
*Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, Aoba 6-6-03, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
**International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, Aoba 6-6-03, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
-  H. Matsutomi and N. Shuto, “Tsunami inundation depth, current velocity and damage to houses,” Proc. Coastal Engineering, Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.41, pp. 246-250, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  H. Matsutomi, T. Sakakiyama, S. Nugroho, Y. Tsuji, Y. Tanioka, Y. Nishimura, T. Kamataki, Y. Murakami, M. Matsuyama, and K. Kuritsuka, “Future problems with considering the damage assessment in Banda Aceh city for the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami,” Annual Journal of Coastal Engineering, Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.52, pp. 1366-1370, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  J. C. Borrero, C. E. Synolakis, and H. M. Fritz, “Northern Sumatra Field Survey after the December 2004 Great Sumatra Earthquake and Indian Ocean Tsunami,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.22, S93-S104, 2006.
-  H.M. Fritz, J. C. Borrero, C. E. Synolakis, and J. Yoo, “2004 Indian Ocean tsunami flow velocity measurements from survivor videos,” Geophysical Research Letters, Vol.33, L24605, 2006.
-  H. M. Fritz, D. A. Phillips, A. Okayasu, T. Shimozono, H. Liu, F. Mohammed, V. Skanavis, C. E. Synolakis, and T. Takahashi, “The 2011 Japan tsunami current velocity measurements from survivor videos at Kesennuma Bay using LiDAR,” Geophys Research Letters, Vol.39, L00G23, 2012.
-  S. Koshimura, Y. Namegaya, and H. Yanagisawa, “Tsunami Fragility – A new measure to assess tsunami damage,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 479-488, 2009a.
-  A. Suppasri, S. Koshimura, and F. Imamura, “Developing tsunami fragility curves based on the satellite remote sensing and the numerical modeling of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami in Thailand,” Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, Vol.11, pp. 173-189, 2011.
-  Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI), “EERI Learning from Earthquakes Program, Learning from Earthquakes, The Tohoku, Japan, Tsunami of March 11, 2011 : Effects on Structures’,” EERI Special Earthquake Report – September 2011, 14p., 2011.
-  F. Imamura, “Review of tsunami simulation with a finite difference method, Long-Wave Runup Models,” World Scientific, pp. 25-42, 1995.
-  M. Kotani, F. Imamura, and N. Shuto, “Tsunami run-up simulation and damage estimation by using geographical information system,” Proc. Coastal Engineering, Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.45, pp. 356-360, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  T. Aburaya and F. Imamura, “The proposal of a tsunami run-up simulation using combined equivalent roughness,” Annual Journal of Coastal Engineering, Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.49, pp. 276-280, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Okada, “Surface deformation due to shear and tensile faults in a half-space,” Bulletin of the seismological society of America, Vol.75, pp. 1135-1154, 1985.
-  F. Imamura, S. Koshimura, Y. Murashima, Y. Akita, and Y. Shintani, “The tsunami source model of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake (ver.1.1),” 2011 (in Japanese),
www.tsunami.civil.tohoku.ac.jp/hokusai3/J/events/tohoku2011/model/dcrc_ver1.1_111107.pdf [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  K. Satake, Y. Fujii, T. Harada, and Y. Namegaya, “Time and Space Distribution of Coseismic Slip of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake as Inferred from TsunamiWaveform Data,” Bulletin of the seismological society of America, Vol.103, No.2B, pp. 1473-1492, 2013.
-  N. Mori, T. Takahashi, and the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Joint Survey group, “Nationwide post event survey and analysis of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.54, No.1, 1250001, 2012.
-  I. Aida, “Reliability of a tsunami source model derived from fault parameters,” Journal of Physics of the Earth, Vol.26, pp. 57-73, 1978.
-  Geospatial Information Authority of Japan (GSI), “On estimation of flooded area by the 2011 tsunami,” 2011 (in Japanese),
www.gsi.go.jp/common/000059939.pdf [accessed May 5, 2013]
-  Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), “Coastal construction manual,” Third Edition (FEMA 55), 296p., 2003.
-  S. Koshimura, T. Oie, H. Yanagisawa, and F. Imamura, “Developing fragility curves for tsunami damage estimation using numerical model and post-tsunami data from Banda Aceh, Indonesia,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.51, No.3, pp. 243-273, 2009b.
-  H. Gokon and S. Koshimura, “Mapping of building damage of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami in Miyagi prefecture,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.54, No.1, 1250006, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.