Use of a Phase-Oriented Management System Against an Outbreak of Infectious Gastroenteritis in an Evacuation Center After the Great East Japan Earthquake
Seisuke Okazawa*1, Hayato Yamauchi*2, Tomomi Ichikawa*1,*3,
Ryuji Hayashi*1, Koichiro Shinoda*1, Maiko Obi*1,
Takuro Arishima*4, Akinori Wada*5, and Kazuyuki Tobe*1
*1First Department of Internal Medicine, University of Toyama, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama, Toyama 930-0194, Japan
*2Department of Psychiatric Medicine, The Incorporated Medical Institution Jinkeikai Saikihoyouin, 27-12 Higashi-machi, Saiki, Oita 876-0814, Japan
*3Division of Respirology, Department of Internal Medicine, Toyama Prefectural Central Hospital, 2-2-78 Nishinagae, Toyama 930-8550, Japan
*4Community Medical Support Unit, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama, Toyama, 930-0194, Japan
*5Department of Gastroenterology and Hematology, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama, Toyama 930-0194, Japan
-  “Press Conference by Prime Minister Naoto Kan,” Prime Minister of Japan and His Cabinet, Archived from the original on 1 April 2011,
http://www.kantei.go.jp/foreign/kan/statement/201104/01kaiken_e.html [accessed March 24, 2012]
-  S. Shibahara, “The 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Devastating Tsunami,” Tohoku J. Exp. Med., Vol.223, pp. 305-307, 2011.
-  “Damage Situation and Police Countermeasures,” National Police Agency of Japan,
http://www.npa.go.jp/archive/keibi/biki/higaijokyo e.pdf [accessed March 24, 2012]
-  “Transition of the number of evacuees,” Cabinet Office of Japan,
http://www.cao.go.jp/shien/en/2count/annex12.pdf [accessed March 24, 2012]
-  Prevention Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “International notes Earthquake Disaster – luzon, philippines,” Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep., Vol.39, pp. 573-577, 1990.
-  S. Karmakar, A. S. Rathore, S. M. Kadri, S. Dutt, S. Khara, and S. Lal, “Post-earthquake outbreak of rotavirus gastroenteritis in Kashmir (India): an epidemiological analysis,” Public Health, Vol.122, pp. 981-989, 2008.
-  K. Nomura, H. Murai, T. Nakahashi, S. Mashiba, Y. Watoh, and T. Takahashi, “Outbreak of norovirus gastroenteritis in elderly evacuees after the 2007 Noto Peninsula earthquake in Japan,” J. Am. Geriatr. Soc., Vol.56, pp. 361-363, 2008.
-  K. T. Chen,W. J. Chen, J.Malilay, and S. J. Twu, “The public health response to the Chi-Chi earthquake in Taiwan, 1999,” Public Health Rep, Vol.118, pp. 493-499, 2003.
-  I. K. Kouadio, S. Aljunid, T. Kamigaki, K. Hammad, and H. Oshitani, “Infectious diseases following natural disasters: prevention and control measures,” Expert Rev. Anti. Infect. Ther., Vol.10, pp. 95-104, 2012.
-  Agency JapanMeteorological,
http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/index.html [accessed March 30, 2012]
-  M. Hatta, S. Endo, K. Tokuda, H. Kunishima, K. Arai, and H. Yano, “Post-tsunami outbreaks of influenza in evacuation centers in Miyagi Prefecture, Japan,” Clin. Infect. Dis., Vol.54, pp. e5-e7, 2012.
-  H. Yamauchi, “The utility of the standardized and consecutive measure for prevention of influenza outbreak in an evacuation center,” The Japanese journal of Infection Control, Vol.20, pp. 553-559, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Updated norovirus outbreak management and disease prevention guidelines,” MMWR Recomm. Rep., Vol.60, pp. 1-18, 2011.
-  Prevention Centers for Disease Control and Healthcareassociated Infections (HAIs), “Norovirus in Healthcare Settings,”
http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/organisms/norovirus.html [accessed March 24, 2012].
-  Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “General Information on Tsunami-Related Diseases and Health Concerns,”
http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/tsunamis/healthconcernsasp.asp [accessed March 24, 2012].
-  A. Wilder-Smith, “Tsunami in South Asia: what is the risk of postdisaster infectious disease outbreaks?,” Ann. Acad. Med. Singapore, Vol.34, pp. 625-631, 2005.
-  C. de Ville de Goyet, “Stop propagating disaster myths,” Lancet, Vol.356, pp. 762-764, 2000.
-  D. D. Blaney, E. R. Daly, K. B. Kirkland, J. E. Tongren, P. T. Kelso, and E. A. Talbot, “Use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers as a risk factor for norovirus outbreaks in long-term care facilities in northern New England: December 2006 to March 2007,” Am. J. Infect. Control, Vol.39, pp. 296-301, 2011.
-  H. Yamauchi, Y. Inomoto, M. Kohno, Y. Watanabe, M. Miyanishi, and T. Shigeki, “Nosocomial Infection Control against “Norovirus”-Induced Gastroenteritis by Developing and Utilizing the “Noro-Phase”,” Journal of the Japanese Society of Environmental Infection, Vol.22, pp. 247-252, 2007 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.