SATREPS Project on Enhancement of Earthquake and Tsunami Disaster Mitigation Technology in Peru
Fumio Yamazaki* and Carlos Zavala**
*Department of Urban Environment Systems, Graduate School of Engineering, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
**CISMID, Faculty of Civil Engineering, National University of Engineering, Av. Tupac Amaru 1150 Rimac, Lima 25, Peru
This project conducts comprehensive research on earthquake and tsunami disaster mitigation in Peru in the framework of “Science and Technology Research Partnership for Sustainable Development (SATREPS),” sponsored by Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). The project focuses on five research fields, i.e., seismic motion and geotechnical, tsunami, buildings, damage assessment, and disaster mitigation planning. Almost three years have passed since the five-year project started inMarch 2010. During this period, researchers in different fields from Japan and Peru collaborate to achieve the overall objectives of the project. This paper summarizes the research framework and progress of the JST-JICA project on earthquake and tsunami disastermitigation technology in Peru.
-  United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction, “Hyogo Framework of Action for 2005-2015: Building the resilience of nations and communities to disasters,” 2005,
http://www.unisdr.org/eng/hfa/hfa.htm [accessed Jan. 1, 2013]
-  Unite States Geological Survey, Poster of the Ica, Peru Earthquake of 15 August 2007 – Magnitude 8.0, Earthquakes Hazard Program USGS, 2007,
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/poster/2007/20070815.php [accessed Jan. 1, 2013]
-  M. Chlieh, J. B. de Chabalier, J. C. Ruegg, R. Armijo, R. Dmowska, J. Campos, and K. L. Feigl, “Crustal deformation and fault slip during the seismic cycle in the North Chile subduction zone, from GPS and InSAR observations,” Geophys. J. Int., Vol.158, pp. 695-711, 2004.
-  Japan International Cooperation Agency, “Minutes of meeting between JICA detailed planning survey team and the National University of Engineering,” 2009.
-  A. Sladen, H. Tavera, M. Simons, J. P. Avouac, A. O. Konca, H. Perfettini, L. Audin, E. J. Fielding, F. Ortega, and R. Cavagnoud, “Source model of the 2007 Mw 8.0 Pisco, Peru earthquake: Implications for seismogenic behavior of subduction megathrusts,” Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol.115, B02405, 2010.
-  N. Pulido, H. Tavera, Z. Aguilar, M. Chlieh, D. Calderon, S. Nakai, T. Sekiguchi, and F. Yamazaki, “Mega-earthquakes Rupture Scenarios and Strong Motion Simulations for Central Andes, Peru,” The International Symposium for CISMID 25th Anniversary, Lima, Peru, CD-ROM, Paper No.TS-6-2, p. 8, 2012.
-  E. A. Okal, J. C. Borrero, and C. E. Synolakis, “Evaluation of Tsunami Risk from Regional Earthquakes at Pisco, Peru,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.96, No.5, pp. 1634-1648, 2006.
-  D. Calderon, T. Sekiguchi, S. Nakai, Z. Aguilar, and F. Lazares, “Study of Soil Amplification based on Microtremor and Seismic Records,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.12, No.2, p. 20, 2012.
-  CISMID, “Study of the Vulnerability and Seismic Risk in 42 districts of Lima and Callao,” National University of Engineering, Lima, Peru, 2005 (in Spanish).
-  B. Adriano, S. Koshimura, and Y. Fujii, “Tsunami Source and Inundation Modeling of the June 2001 Peru Earthquake,” Joint Conference Proceedings 9CUEE/4ACEE, pp. 2061-2065, 2012.
-  B. Adriano, E. Mas, S. Koshimura, Y. Fujii, S. Yauri, C. Jimenez, and H. Yanagisawa, “Tsunami Inundation Mapping in Lima, for Two Tsunami Source Scenarios,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 274-284, 2013 (this number).
-  E. Mas, B. Adriano, and S. Koshimura, “An Integrated Simulation of Tsunami Hazard and Human Evacuation in La Punta, Peru,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 285-295, 2013 (this number).
-  C. Zavala, P. Gibu, L. Lavado, J. Taira, L. Cardenas, and L. Ceferino, “Cyclic Behavior of Low Ductility Walls Considering Perpendicular Action,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 312-319, 2013 (this number).
-  M. Matsuoka, H. Miura, S. Midorikawa, and M. Estrada, “Extraction of Urban Information for Seismic Hazard and Risk Assessment in Lima, Peru Using Satellite Imagery,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 328-345, 2013 (this number).
-  S. Matsuzaki, F. Yamazaki, M. Estrada, and C. Zavala, “Visual Damage Interpretation of Buildings Using QuickBird Images Following the 2007 Peru Earthquake,” The 3rd Asia Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Bangkok, Thailand, p. 8, 2010.
-  M. Matsuoka and M. Estrada, “Development of Earthquake-Induced Building Damage Estimation Model Based on ALOS/PALSAR Observing the 2007 Peru Earthquake,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 346-355, 2013 (this number).
-  Y. Maruyama, F. Yamazaki, S. Matsuzaki, H. Miura, and M. Estrada, “Evaluation of Building Damage and Tsunami Inundation Based on Satellite Images and GIS Data Following the 2010 Chile Earthquake,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.28, No.S1, pp. S165-S178, 2012.
-  E. Mas, S. Koshimura, A. Suppasri, M. Matsuoka, M. Matsuyama, T. Yoshii, C. Jimenez, F. Yamazaki, and F. Imamura, “Developing Tsunami fragility curves using remote sensing and survey data of the 2010 Chilean Tsunami in Dichato,” Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, European Geosciences Union, Vol.12, pp. 2689-2697, 2012.
-  N. Pulido, Y. Yagi, H. Kumagai, and N. Nishimura, “Rupture process and coseismic deformations of the February 2010 Maule earthquake, Chile,” Earth, Planets and Space, Vol.63, pp. 955-959, 2011.
-  T. Saito, S. Kono, K. Kusunoki, Y. Kim, T. Matsui, M. Tani, Y. Hibino, C. Zavala, and P. Gibu, “Damage Investigation of Reinforced Concrete Buildings at the 2010 Chile Earthquake,” Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Urban Earthquake Engineering, Paper No.04-077, Tokyo, 2011.
-  JST-JICA SATREPS Peru Project Chile Earthquake Field Investigation Team, 2010 Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Technical Report,
http://ares.tu.chiba-u.jp/peru/pdf/output/tr/JST-JICA-CHILEEARTHQUAKE-AND-TSUNAMI-REPORT.pdf [accessed Jan. 1, 2013]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.