Deformation of Sandy Beach and Inundation on Iwama-Sanuka Coast in Fukushima Prefecture due to the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami
Takaaki Uda*, Kazuya Sakai*, Yukiyoshi Hoshigami**,
and Yasuhito Noshi***
*Public Works Research Center, 1-6-4 Taito, Taito, Tokyo 110-0016, Japan
**Kokusai Kogyo Co., Ltd., 2-24-1 Harumicho, Fuchu, Tokyo 183-0057, Japan
***ICOMNET, Ltd., Elevage Kanda-Nishikicho Bldg., 3-16-11 Kanda-Nishikicho, Chiyoda, Tokyo 101-0054, Japan
The massive earthquake with a magnitude of 9.0 occurred at 14:46 on March 11, 2011, with an epicenter 130 km offshore from the Oshika Peninsula in Japan’s northeastern Miyagi Prefecture. After the earthquake, large tsunamis were generated owing to abrupt crustal subsidence and uplift, which inundated Japan’s eastern Pacific Ocean coastline. We carried out field observations to investigate the deformation of a previous river-mouth bar by comparing oblique photographs, and investigated the damage to seawalls and the tsunami inundation depth on the Iwama-Sanuka coast, located north of the Same River in southern Fukushima Prefecture. Here, the results of the field observations on the deformation of the sandy beach and the inundation of the Iwama-Sanuka coast are reported.
-  The 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Joint Survey Group, “Nationwide field survey of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku earthquake tsunami,” J. Jpn. Soc. Civil Eng., Ser. B67(1), pp. 63-66, 2011.
-  N.Mori, “Overview of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake tsunami survey results,” Proc. 6th Inter. Conf. on Asian and Pacific Coasts, pp. 71-78, 2011.
-  N. Mori, T. Takahashi, and the 2011 Tohoku Tsunami Joint Survey Group, “Nationwide post event survey and analysis of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake tsunami,” Coastal Engineering J., Vol.54, No.1, 2012.
-  S. Sato, S. Takewaka, H. Liu, and H. Nobuoka, “Tsunami damages of Nakoso coast due to the 2011 Tohoku Pacific Ocean Earthquake,” J. JSCE, Ser. B2 (Coastal Eng.), Vol.67, No.2, I 1296-I 1300, 2011. (in Japanese)
-  J. Takahashi, K. Goto, T. Oie, H. Yanagisawa, and F. Imamura, “Inundation and topographic change due to 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami at the Kirinda port, Sri Lanka,” Annual J. of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, Vol.55, pp. 251-255, 2008. (in Japanese)
-  T. Nishihata, Y. Tajima, and Y. Moriya, “Study on the dynamic topography change due to tsunami attacks at Kirinda Port – the December 26, 2004 Earthquake Tsunami of Indian Ocean –,” Annual J. of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, Vol.52, pp. 1386-1390, 2005. (in Japanese)
-  T. Shibayama, A. Okayasu, N. Wijayaratna, J. Sasaki, T. Suzuki, and R. Jayaratne, “The 2004 Sumatra Earthquake Tsunami, tsunami field survey in southern part of Sri Lanka,” Annual J. of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, Vol.52, pp. 1401-14-5, 2005. (in Japanese)
-  J. J. Wijetunge, “Tsunami on 26 December 2004: Spatial distribution of tsunami height and the extent of inundation in Sri Lanka,” Sci, Tsunami Haz, 24, 3, pp. 225-239, 2006.
-  Y. Noshi, T. Uda, Y. Hoshigami, and T. Tamura, “Beach changes between Point Ryugu and Nakoso Fishing Port including Same River mouth in Fukushima prefecture,” J. JSCE, Ser. B2 (Coastal Eng.), Vol.67, No.2, I 536-I 540, 2011. (in Japanese)
-  Public Works Research Center, “Tsunami report,” 2011.
http://pwrc-nagisa.jp(in Japanese but including 261 figures and 854 site photographs taken at 101 locations)
-  Geospatial Information Authority of Japan, 2011.
-  T. Shibayama, “Field survey of the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami disaster and future tsunami protection,” Proc. 6th Inter. Conf. on Asian and Pacific Coasts, pp. 79-82, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.