Emergency Management: Building an O-D Ranking Model Using GIS Network Analysis
Carine J. Yi*, Roy S. Park**, Osamu Murao***,
and Eiji Okamoto***
*Graduate School of Systems and Information Engineering, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba City, Ibaraki 305-8573, Japan
**R. Park and Associates Inc., 46 Woodward Ave. Markham, Ontario L3T 1E5, Canada
***Faculty of Engineering, Systems and Information, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba City, Ibaraki 305-8573, Japan
-  Union of Concerned Scientist U.S.A. (UCSUSA), “Global Warming and California Wildfires” (A fact sheet of the Union of Concerned Scientists) www.ucsusa.org/clean_california [accessed Jan. 30, 2012].
-  A. L. Westerling, H. G. Hidalgo, D. R. Cayan, and T. W. Swetnam, “Warming and Earlier Spring Increase Western U.S. ForestWildfire Activity,” Science, Vol.313, pp. 940-943, 2006, DOI: 10.1126/science. 1128834.
-  Mathew Bettenhausen, “State of California Emergency Plan,” California Emergency Management Agency (CalEMA), 2009.
-  W. F. Ekard, H. Tuck, and R. Lane, “San Diego County Firestorms 2007 After Action Report,” Prepared by EG&G Technical Services, Inc., 2007.
-  M. K. Lindell, “EMBLEM2: An empirically based large scale evacuation time estimate model,” Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Vol.42, Issue 1, pp. 140-154, 2008.
-  Y. Sheffi, H. Mahmassani, and W. B. Powell, “A transportation network evacuation model,” Transportation Research Part A: General, Vol.16, Issue 3, pp. 209-218, 1982.
-  A. Stepanov and J. MacGregor Smith, “Multi-objective evacuation routing in transportation networks,” European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.198, pp. 435-446, 2009.
-  T. J. Cova, P. E. Dennison, T. H. Kim, and M. A. Moritz, “Setting Wildfire Evacuation Trigger Points Using Fire Spread Modeling and GIS,” Transactions in GIS, Vol.9, No.4, pp. 603.617, 2005.
-  P. E. Dennison, T. J. Cova, and M. A. Mortiz, “WUIVAC: a wildland-urban interface evacuation trigger model applied in strategic wildfire scenarios,” Natural Hazards, Vol.41, pp. 181-199, DOI 10.1007/s11069-006-9032-y, 2007.
-  M. Potůčková, S. Gril, and J. Lysák, “Evacuation GIS for the TANGO Project,” GIS meets Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry towards Digital World: Symposium GIS Ostrava 2010, 24-27 January, Ostrava, Czech Republic, 2010.
-  E. J. Baker, “Hurricane Evacuation Behavior,” International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 287-310, 1991.
-  Turan Erden and Mehmet Zeki Coskun (TR), “Interfacing Emergency Management with GIS-Aided Spatial Decision Support System,” 17th Interfacing Emergency Management with GIS-aided Spatial Decision Support Systems, International Symposium on Modern Technologies, Education and Professional Practice in Geodesy and Related Fields, 09-09 November, Sofia, Bulgaria, 2007.
-  D. W. Borchardt and D. D. Puckett, “Real-Time Data for Hurricane Evacuation in Texas,” Southwest Region University Transportation Center, Texas Transportation Institute, Report No. SWUTC/08/167764-1, Project 167764, Project Title: Data for Evacuation Transportation Information System in HURREVAC, 2008.
-  J. F. Goss, E. B. Ngo, and L. M. Simpson, “Getting ready to get out: how EMS providers & hospital staff can work together to successfully relocate patients,” Journal of Emergency Medical Sercices (JEMS), Vol.33, No.5, pp. 72-81, May, 2008.
-  R. Zane, P. Biddinger, A. Hassol, T. Rich, J. Gerber, and J. DeAngelis, “Hospital Evacuation Decision Guide,” Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality of U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, AHRQ Publication No.10-0009, 2010.
-  A. H. Kaji and R. J. Lewis, “Hospital Disaster Preparedness in Los Angeles County,” Academic Emergency Medicine, Vol.13, Issue 11, pp. 1198-1203, 2008.
-  K. S. Hoyt and A. E. Gerhart, “The San Diego County Wildfires: Perspectives of Healthcare,” Disaster Management & Response, Vol.2, 2004.
-  C. I. Schranz, E. M. Castillo, and G. M. Vilke, “The 2007 San DiegoWildfire impact on the Emergency Department of the University of California,” San Diego Hospital System, Prehospital Disaster Medicine, 2010 Sep-Oct, Vol.25, No.5, pp. 472-476, 2010.
-  A. Kay Childers and K. M. Taaffe, “Healthcare Facility Evacuations: Lessons Learned, Research Activity, and the Need for Engineering Contributions,” Journal of Healthcare Engineering, Vol.1, No.1, March 2010.
-  C. W. Johnson, “Using Computer Simulations to Support A Risk-Based Approach For Hospital Evacuation,” Glasgow Accident Analysis Group, University of Glasgow, 2006.
-  D. Golmohammadi and D. Shimshak, “Estimation of the evacuation time in an emergency situation in hospitals,” Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol.61, Issue 4, pp. 1256-1267, 2011.
-  J. Augustine and J. T. Schoettmer, “Evacuation of a Rural Community Hospital: Lessons Learned From an Unplanned Event, Disaster Management & Response,” Vol.3, Issue 3, pp. 68-72, July-September 2005.
-  N. Squillace, “Hospital Evacuations: Historical Precedence and Modern Preparedness,” Master of Public Health Program, Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, 2010.
-  M. M. Arms and J. D. Van Zante, “Wildfire Evacuation: Outrunning the Witch’s Curse-One Animal Center’s Experience,” ILAR Journal, Disaster Planning and Management, Vol.51 No.2, pp. 158-163, 2010.
-  W. J. Wooten, 2007 San Diego Wildfires: Lessons Learned, County of San Diego, Health and Human Services Agency, (Air Resources Board presentation material)
http://www.arb.ca.gov/carpa/meetings/summit08/presentations/firestorm07_wwooten.pdf [accessed Aug. 2012]
-  Health Facilities Management (on-line magazine),
http://www.hfmmagazine.com/hfmmagazine/jsp/articledisplay.jsp?dcrpath=HFMMAGAZINE/Article/data/12DEC2007/0712HFM_Upfront_Disaster&domain=HFMMAGAZINE [accessed Aug. 13, 2012]
-  D. E. Hogan and J. L. Burstein, “Disaster Medicine,” Second Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, pp. 209, ISBN- 13: 978-0-7817-6262-5, 2007.
-  County of San Diego-Department of Public Works, “Public Road Standards,” 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.