Strong-Motion Records Obtained by an Array Observation System During the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake
Makoto Kamiyama, Tadashi Matsukawa, and Masahiro Anazawa
Department of Environmental Information Engineering, Tohoku Institute of Technology, Yagiyama Kasumicho, Taihaku-ku, Sendai 982-8577, Japan
Small-Titan, an array system deployed in Sendai City and used for observing strong ground motion succeeded in obtaining strong ground motions at many sites during the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake. Small-Titan installed in 1998 to investigate local site effects on strong ground motions consists of 20 observation sites with different soil conditions and has obtained over 500 records of various kinds of earthquakes since its installation. The 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake caused severe damage in Sendai City, including that from a tsunami. One site of the Small-Titan system was also hit by a tsunami. This paper describes the background leading to the success of the records of observation of strong motion by Small-Titan for this earthquake and outlines characteristics of records.
-  M. Kamiyama, Y. Shoji, T. Matsukawa, A. Asada, and N. Nakai, “An on-line array observation system of earthquake motions: the deployment and records,” Structural Eng. and Eathq. Eng. (JSCE), Vol.664, No.54, pp. 283-298, 1999 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  Y. Shoji and M. Kamiyama, “A High-Density Array Observation System Small-Titan: An Introduction and it’s Strong-Motion Records,” Proceedings of the 12th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Paper 1469, 2000.
-  W. D. Iwan, “The development of strong-motion earthquake instrument arrays,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol.17, pp. 413-426, 1979.
-  S. Kinoshita, “Kyoshin Net (K-NET),” Seismological Research Letters, Vol.69, pp. 309-332, 1998.
-  Japan Metrological Agency (JMA), “The 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” 2011,
http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/en/2011 Earthquake/2011 Earthquake.html [accessed September 8, 2012]
-  National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention (NIED), Home Page, 2011,
http://www.k-net.bosai.go.jp/ [accessed September 8, 2012]
-  D.M. Boore, “Effect of baseline correction on displacement and response spectra for several recordings of the 1999 Chi-Chi, Taiwan,earthquake,” Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., Vol.91, pp. 1199-1211, 2001.
-  Geospatial Information Authority of Japan (GSI), Home-Page, 2011,
http://www.gsi.go.jp [accessed September 8, 2012]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.