Design Evaluation Method of Steel-Plate Reinforced Concrete Structure Containment Vessel for Sodium-Cooled Fast Reactor
Tomohiko Yamamoto, Atsushi Katoh, Yoshitaka Chikazawa,
and Kazuo Negishi
Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA), 4002 Narita, Oarai, Ibaraki 311-1393, Japan
The Japan Sodium-Cooled Fast Reactor (JSFR) adopts the new concept of a containment vessel called a steel-plate-reinforced concrete containment vessel (SCCV). The SCCV is considered to be effective in shortening construction periods by the elimination of rebar work at a site compared with applying a reinforced concrete CV. In addition to this advantage, the SCCV achieves high-quality building structure because steel structural parts are fabricated at a factory prior to site construction. Although the SC structure has been used for buildings at a light-water reactor (LWR), etc., the SC structure has not yet been adopted for the CV. An SFR CV has a lower pressure environment than the LWR CV, although the environmental temperature of the SFR is much higher than that of the LWR in the postulated coolant leakage accident. It is therefore important to investigate its characteristics at high temperature to adopt the SC structure to the JSFR CV because the CV keeps containment functions in accidents to be assumed in design. This paper describes the construction of the design evaluation method from design (construction period shortening) and accident management, experimental, and analytical points of view.
-  K. Aoto et al., “JSFR design study and R&D progress in the FaCT project,” Proceedings of FR09, Kyoto, Japan, Dec. 6-11, 2009, FR09P1406F.
-  M. Ozaki et al., “Study on Steel Plate Reinforced Concrete Bearing Wall for Nuclear Power Plants Part 1; Shear and Bending Loading Tests of SCWalls,” Proc. of 16th SMiRT, 2001, Paper #1554.
-  T. Fujita et al., “Development of Advanced Concept for Shortening Construction Period of ABWR Plant (Part 3),” Proceedings of 13th ICONE, 2005, ICONE13-50646.
-  A. Katoh et al., “Experimental and Feasibility Study on Steel-Plate-Reinforced-Concrete Containment Vessel for Japan Sodium-Cooled Fast Reactor,” Transactions, SMiRT 21, 6-11 November, 2011, New Delhi, India, Paper ID#819.
-  A. Yamaguchi and Yuji Tajima, “Validation study of computer code SPHINCS for sodium fire safety evaluation of fast reactor,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.219, pp. 19-34, 2003.
-  A. Katoh et al., “Experimental investigations of steel plate reinforced concrete bearing wall for fast reactor containment vessel,” Proceedings of ICONE19, 19th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering, May 16-19, 2011, Chiba, Japan, ICONE19-43684.
-  T. Yamamoto et al., “Conceptual Design Study of JSFR Reactor Building,” Proceedings of ICAPP’12, June 24-28, 2012, Chicago, USA, Paper ID #12387.
-  European Committee for Standardization (CEN), “Eurocode 4 – Design of composite steel and concrete structures – Parts 1-2 : Structural fire design,” European Prestandard, CEN, Brussels, Final Draft prENV 1994-1-2, Oct. 1993.
-  T. Hosoya et al., “Conceptual Design for Japan Sodium-Cooled Fast Reactor (4): Developmental Study of Steel Plate Reinforced Concrete Containment Vessel for JSFR,” Proc. of ICAPP’09, 2009, Paper 9418.