Analysis of Description of Local Disaster Management Plan for Smooth and Effective Wide-Area Support System During Large-Scale Disaster
Muneyoshi Numada*, Shinya Kondo*, Masashi Inoue**, and Kimiro Meguro*
*International Center for Urban Safety Engineering, Institute of Industrial Science, the University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
**Eight-Japan Engineering Consultants Inc., 5-33-11 Honcho, Nakano-ku, Tokyo 164-8601, Japan
This paper gives attention to the phase of safety of work in wide-area support and considers differences in description in local disaster management plans drafted by supporting local governments and supported ones, assuming that standardization of such descriptions could bring more smooth and effective implementation of plans. This paper targets desirable directions toward arrangement for a highly effective wide-area cooperation system. A framework is introduced in examining on what wide-area support should be like, referring to previous studies on actual situation of the support at the time of the 1995 Southern Hyogo Prefecture Earthquake and of the 2004Mid Niigata Prefecture Earthquake. Then the disaster response activities in wide-area support are examines and local disaster management plans among different local governments are compared and differences in descriptions in plans. Necessary information for supporting sides and introduces the exchange of opinions with Kawasaki City that stood on the supporting side after the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake is discussed. To make cooperation among the Japanese Government, prefectures, and municipalities more effective, the description of local disaster management plans should be standardized to some degree.
-  National Governors’ Association, “Response to the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” March 13. 2011 (in Japanese),
http://www. nga.gr.jp/news/20110313saigai puresu.pdf
-  Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, “Physical support for affected local government related to the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake” (in Japanese),
[accessed at 2011.8.28]
-  Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications: “Request for physical support related to the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake” (in Japanese),
[accessed at 2011.8.28]
-  All Japan Prefectural and Municipal Workers’ Union, “Result of emergency health investigation of local officials by the Great East Japan Earthquake,” 2011.7.28 (in Japanese).
-  S. Takayose, “The Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake and response of local government,” Gakuyousyobou, pp. 15-16, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  C. Watanabe and S. Okada, “Study on Supply and Demand of Supports by Local Governments in Seismic Calamity Area after the 1995 Hyogoken-nanbu Earthquake,” Journal of Institute of Social Safety Science Vol.7, pp. 310-313, 1997.11 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Iwasa, H. Hayashi, and T. Kondo, “Business Activity Analysis of the “Basic Plan for Disaster Prevention” for More Standardized Emergency Response,” Journal of Institute of Social Safety Science Vol.7, pp. 193-202, 2003.11 (in Japanese).
-  Central Disaster Prevention Council, “Report of expert panel for future earthquake countermeasures,” 2002.7.1 (in Japanese).
-  Fire and Disaster Management Agency, “Study Group Report on broad-based disaster management system in the area of cross-border prefectures,” 2003.3 (in Japanese).
-  C. Watanabe and S. Okada, “Helping Activities by Local Governments to Earthquake Damaged Areas: (1) Post-Great Hanashin-Awaji Earthquake Nation-Wide Questionnaire Survey On Factors Determining Municipalities’ Helping Activities,” Journal of natural disaster science, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 65-77, 2004.5 (in Japanese).
-  N. Funaki, Y. Kawata, and K. Yamori, “A Research on Emergency Support System among Prefectural Governments of Large-Scale Disasters : In case of Niigata Chuetsu Earthquake disaster,” Journal of natural disaster science, Vol.25, No.3, pp. 329-349, 2006.11 (in Japanese).
-  S. Sato, S. Suzuki, and M. Numada, “3D Knowledge Design System in Product Design,” Journal of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.74, No.745, pp. 2107-2113, 2008.9 (in Japanese).
-  S. Nagamatsu, H. Hayashi, and Y. Kawata, “The Problem of Disaster Management Policy and Local Plan for Disaster Prevention,” Journal of Institute of Social Safety Science, Vol.7, pp. 395-404, 2005.11 (in Japanese).
-  T. Ueda and H. Hayashi, “Computer Support System of Disaster Response: Electric Documentation of Shelter Manual,” Journal of Institute of Social Safety Science Vol.8, pp. 242-247, 1998.10 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.