Survey Analysis of Wooded Areas Around Temples and Former Samurai Residences in Urban Areas - Their Shapes and Sizes Seen from Their Potential Function as Firebreak Belts
Masahiko Takamatsu and Takeyuki Okubo
Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Noji-higashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
-  Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, and Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “The Basic Policy about Maintenance and Improvement of Traditional Scenery in Certain Districts,” chap. 1, 2008.
-  The Reconstruction Bureau, “Journal of the Capital Reconstruction Project, vol. Buildings and Parks,” pp. 8-9, 1931.
-  , p. 7.
-  , p. 7.
-  For example, A. Nakano et al., “Study on Application of Spreading Fire Simulation : Application for Northern Part in Kanazawa,” Proceedings of Annual Meeting of Hokuriku Chapter, Architectural Institute of Japan, Vol.50, pp. 57-60, 2007.
-  For example, A. Sasaya et al., “Evaluation of the Efficiency and its Movement of Open Spaces of Edo Town for Fire Prevention,” Journal of the Japanese Institute of Landscape Architecture, Vol.68, No.5, pp. 395-400, 2005.
-  For example, K. Himoto and T. Tanaka, “An Evaluation of Fire Resistant Performance of Takayama-Sanmachi District based upon Fire Spread Simulation,” Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting (Hokkaido), Architectural Institute of Japan, pp. 337-338, 1996.
-  I. Shinji, “Studies on the Characteristics of Japanese Gardens, Forming of the Style, Space Structure, Landscape Composition, the 3rd edition,” Tokyo University of Agriculture, chap. 6, p. 133, 1998.
-  , chap. 7, p. 196.
-  N. Iwakawa, “Study on the Fire Preventive Function of Trees in Urban Areas,” Journal of the Japanese Institute of Landscape Architecture, Vol.48, No.1, p. 28, 1984.
-  Y. Saito, “Fire Preventive Function of Trees,” Journal of the Japanese Institute of Landscape Architecture, Vol.60, No.2, p. 125, 1996.
-  The Integrated Development Project, “Summary Report of Development of Methods for Urban Fire Prevention,” Ministry of Construction, p. 49, 1982.
-  S. Miyanaga, “Farming Stories Printed as Manuscript,” The Complete Works of Farming Books of Japan, Rural Culture Association Japan, Vol.6, p. 182, 1979.
-  Y. Nakama and K. Kikuchi, “TheMeaning of Premises Forests Surrounding Village Residences and Regional Inhabitants’ Consciousness in Island Regions : Bise Village of Motobu Town in Okinawa Prefecture as an Example,” The Science Bulletin of the Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus, Vol.50, p. 80, 2003.
-  M. Eyama, “Scapetecture, Landscape Architecture of Tomorrow,” Kajima Institute Publishing Co., Ltd., p. 316, 1977.
-  K. Ono, “Growth of Pre-Modern Cities,” Study on Pre-Modern Castle Towns, Enlarged Edition, Hosei University Press, p. 196, 1993.
-  , p. 203.
-  , p. 198.
-  N. Fujita, “Study on Evaluation of “Shasoh” Space as a Green Space in Urban Areas (2) The Quantitative Analysis on “Shasoh” in Urban Areas by Setting Different Spatial Scales,” Urban Report of the Tokyo University Forests, Vol.117, p. 34, 2007.
-  Supervision of S. Miyaji, “Old Map Library ⑥ : the Last Loads in the End of Edo Period Seen with Old Maps/Paintings of Castle Towns, vol.West Japan,” and “⑦ : vol. East Japan,” Jinbun-sha Co., Ltd., 1997.
-  Geospatial Information Authority of Japan, Maps Inspection Service, “Watchizu,” Oct. 2008,
-  For example in Tokyo, K. Chiba and K. Tonuma, “On Changes in the Accumulation of Buddhist Temples after Modern Ages: A Study on Buddhist Temples Districts (Teramachi) in Tokyo Part 1,” Planning and Environmental Engineering (Transactions of AIJ), Vol.491, p. 154, 1997.
-  N. Iwakawa, “Iwakawa’s Fire Assessment System (IFAS),” pp. 9-11, 2004.
-  .
-  Urban Disaster Prevention Office of Ministry of Construction and Japan Institute of Construction Engineering, “Report of Research on Methods for Forming Urban Fire Prevention Blocks,” 1996.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.