Finite Element Modeling of Cyclic Out-of-Plane Response of Masonry Walls Retrofitted by Inserting Inclined Stainless Steel Bars
Kshitij C. Shrestha*, Takuya Nagae**,
and Yoshikazu Araki*
*Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Kyoto University, Katsura, Nishikyo, Kyoto 615-8540, Japan
**Hyogo Earthquake Engineering Research Center, National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, 1501-21 Nishikameya, Mitsuta, Shijimi-cho, Miki, Hyogo 673-0515, Japan
-  C. Modena, F. Casarin, F. da Porto, and M. Munari, “L’Aquila 6th April 2009 Earthquake: Emergency and Post-emergency Activities on Cultural Heritage Buildings,” In: M. Garevski and A. Ansal (Eds.), Earthquake Engineering in Europe, New York, Springer, pp. 495-521, 2010.
-  M. Takashima and S. Tanaka, “Rebuilding Brick Masonry Housing Following the Mid-Java Earthquake Disaster of May 27, 2006,” J. of Disaster Research, 1-3, pp. 444-448, 2006.
-  F. V. Karantoni and M. N. Fardis, “Effectiveness of Seismic Strengthening Techniques for Masonry Buildings,” J. of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 118-4, pp. 1884-1902, 1992.
-  M. A. ElGawady, P. Lestuzzi, and M. Badoux, “A Review of Conventional Seismic Retrofitting Techniques for URM,” Proc. of 13th International Brick and Block Masonry Conference, Amsterdam, 2004.
-  D. Abrams, T. Smith, J. Lynch, and S. Franklin, “Effectiveness of Rehabilitation on Seismic Behavior of Masonry Piers,” J. of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 133-1, pp. 32-43, 2007.
-  M. R. Ehsani, H. Saadatmanesh, and J. I. Velazquez-Dimas, “Behavior of Retrofitted URM Walls Under Simulated Earthquake Loading,” J. of Composites for Construction, 3-3, pp. 134-142, 1999.
-  C. R.Willis, R. Seracino, andM. C. Griffith, “Out-of-Plane Strength of Brick Masonry Retrofitted with Horizontal NSM CFRP Strips,” Engineering Structures, 32-2, pp. 547-555, 2010.
-  N. Takiyama, T. Nagae, H. Maeda, M. Kitamura, N. Yoshida, and Y. Araki, “Cyclic out-of-plane flexural behavior of masonry walls rehabilitated by inserting steel pins,” Proc. of the 14th WCEE, Beijing, 2008.
-  P. B. Lourenco and J. G. Rots, “Multisurface interface model for analysis of masonry structures,” ASCE J. of Engineering Mechanics, 123-7, pp. 660-668, 1997.
-  DIANA, “DIANA User’s Manual Release 9.3,” TNO DIANA BV, Delft, 2008.
-  ASTM, “Annual Book of ASTM Standards,” Section Four, Construction, Volume 04.05, Chemical-Resistant Nonmetallic Materials; Vitrified Clay Pipe; Concrete Pipe; Fiber-Reinforced Cement Products; Mortars and Grouts; Masonry; Precast Concrete, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2007.
-  RILEM, “RILEM Technical recommendations for the testing and use of construction materials,” Taylor & Francis, New York, 1994.
-  M. R. Button and R. L. Mayes, “Out-of-Plane Seismic Response of Reinforced Masonry Walls,” J. of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 118-9, pp. 2495-2513, 1992.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.