Building Comprehensive Disaster Victim Support System
Go Urakawa*1, Haruo Hayashi*2, Keiko Tamura*3,
Munenari Inoguchi*3, Kei Horie*4, Mitsuhiro Higashida*5,
and Ryota Hamamoto*6
*1Institute of Sustainability Science, Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
*2Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
*3Research Center for Natural Hazard and Disaster Recovery, Niigata University, 8050, Ikarashi Nino-cho, Nishi-ku, Niigata city, Niigata 950-2181, Japan
*4InterRisk Research Institute & Consulting, Inc. 4-2-5 Kanda Surugadai, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0062, Japan
*5Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation, 3-9-11 Midori-Cho, Musashino-Shi, Tokyo 180-8585, Japan
*6ESRI Japan Corporation, 2-7-1 Hirakawa-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093, Japan
Our research team of industrial, governmental, and academic organizations had supported local governments using geographic information systems (GIS) at Odiya city in the 2004 Niigata-ken Chuetsu Earthquake. We developed GIS applications for damage certification based on specific needs enabling municipal personnel to operate effectively during the initial post-disaster confusion. The team developed GIS and other databases and applications, and designed the certification desk layout. Based on our work in Odiya, we applied these solutions in the 2004 Niigataken Chuetsu Earthquake, 2007 Noto Hanto Earthquake, and 2007 Niigata-ken Chuetsuoki Earthquake. We damage citification issuance and set up a master database for victims to help victims rebuild their lives. We discuss comprehensive solutions to damage assessment, database registration, damage certification, and victim assistance.
Munenari Inoguchi, Kei Horie, Mitsuhiro Higashida, and
and Ryota Hamamoto, “Building Comprehensive Disaster Victim Support System,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.5, No.6, pp. 687-696, 2010.
-  Cabinet Office, Government of Japan HP,
-  G. Urakawa, H. Hayashi, K. Fujiharu, K. Tamura, and H. Sakai, “Constructing Common Operational Picture of Emergency Operation Center, Niigata Prefecture at Niigata-ken Chuetsuoki Earthquake, 2007,” J. of Society Safety Science, No.10, pp. 127-134, 2008.
-  K. Tamura, G. Urakawa, and H. Hayashi, “2007 Emergency Mapping Center Constructing Common Operational Pictures with GIS,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 5-11, 2010.
-  N. Yoshitomi, H. Hayashi, K. Matsuoka, H. Terano, M. Inoguchi, and G. Urakawa “Disaster Victims Database Development Using GeoWrap Method –From the 2004 Niigata Chuetsu Earthquake to the 2007 Niigata Chuetsu-Oki Earthquake–,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 74-81, 2010.
-  K. Matsuoka, H. Hayashi, N. Yoshitomi, G. Urakawa, R. Hamamoto, Y. Nawa, H. Terano, and N. Tonosaki, “GIS-based Damage Certificate Support System Based on Recent Earthquake Experience,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 82-89, 2010.
-  Architectural Institute of Japan and City Planning Institute of Japan, “Report of Emergency Damage Survey of the 1995 Hyogoken-Nanbu Earthquake,” 1995.
-  N. Maki, M. Kohiyama, H. Lu, K. Horie, S. Tanaka, and H. Hayashi, “Development of Nishinomiya Built Environment Database,” Proc. of 1st Workshop for “Comparative Study on Urban Earthquake Disaster Management,” No.1, pp. 189-194, 2001.
-  G. Urakawa, N. Yoshitomi, H. Hayashi, K. Horie, H. Ishimoto, and K. Omura, “Building Emergency Field Survey Support System by Using Mobile Device –Development of Authoring System by Using ArcPAD–,” J. of Social Safety Science, No.7, pp. 53-62, 2005.
-  G. Urakawa, N. Yoshitomi, and H. Hayashi, “Joint Development of POS-Type Field Survey Support System with Local Practitioners –An Application of Survey Support System for Day to day Operations to Emergency–,” J. of Social Safety Science, No.8, pp. 243-252, 2006.
-  N. Yoshitomi, H. Hayashi, G. Urakawa, K. Shigekawa, S. Tanaka, K. Horie, K. Matsuoka, Y. Nagoya, and K. Fujiharu, “The Development of a Damage Certificate Issuing Support System –A New Disaster Response Database Schema Created for the Niigata Chuetsu Earthquake–,” J. of Social Safety Science, No.7, pp. 141-150, 2005.
-  M. Inoguchi, H. Hayashi, K. Tamura, and N. Yoshitomi, “Implementation of Management System for Supporting Victims’ Life Recovery Process Based on the Victim Master Database –Lessons Learned in Kashiwazaki City from 2007 Niigata Chuetsu-oki Earthquake–,” J. of Society Safety Science, No.10, pp. 553-563, 2008.