Next Generation ICT Services Underlying the Resilient Society
Yuji Maeda*1, Mitsuhiro Higashida*1, Katsumi Iwatsuki*1,
Takao Handa*2, Yoichi Kihara*3, and Haruo Hayashi*4
*1NTT Service Integration Laboratories, 3-9-11 Midori-cho, Musashino-shi, Tokyo 180-8585, Japan
*2NTT Energy and Environment Systems Laboratories, 3-1, Morinosato Wakamiya, Atsugi-shi, Kanagawa 243-0198, Japan
*3R&D Headquarters, NTT Data Corporation, Toyosu Center Bidg. Annex, 3-9, Toyosu 3-chome, Koto-ku, Tokyo 135-8671, Japan
*4Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji-shi, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
This paper focuses on next-generation information and communication technology (ICT) supporting the use of information for implementing a resilient society, i.e., resistant to and resilient in disasters and crises. We probe present and prospective aspects for ICT systems and how ICT use will change national and local governments and civil lives resiliently, based on Japan’s IT strategy. We also present a vision of a future bringing about this resilient society.
Takao Handa, Yoichi Kihara, and Haruo Hayashi, “Next Generation ICT Services Underlying the Resilient Society,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.5, No.6, pp. 627-635, 2010.
-  Kyoto University-NTT Resilience Joint Research Group, “Creation of the Resilient Society,” Nikkei BP Kikaku, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  Peter Mell and Tim Grace, “The NIST Definition of Cloud Computing v15,” Oct. 7, 2009,
-  Global Inter-Cloud Technology Forum,
-  For example, the NTT-East Technical Assistance & Support Center edition of “Useful Onsite Communications Facilities Problems: Q&A,” Telecommunications Association, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  T. Iida, “Infrastructure Facilities Management Technology for Safe and Secure Communications,” NTT Technical Review, Vol.7, No.6, 2009.
-  Y. Yamazaki et al., “Kanro Setsubi no Yuukou-katsuyou wo hakaru Keiburu Syuuyou-kan Saisei Gijyutsu,” NTT Gijyutsu Journal, Vol.21, No.8, p.70, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  T. Sawada et al., “Recent Strides to Make Telecommunications Plant More Environmentally Friendly and Reliable ,” NTT Technical Review, Vol.7, No.10, 2009.
-  T. Handa, “Maintenance of social infrastructure equipment for recycling society creation,” Journal of Material Testing Research Association of Japan, Vol.55, No.3, p.4, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Yamazaki et al., “Tsushin-setubi noJjisinn-ji Kinousei Hyouka Gijyutsu no Kaihatsu,” NTT Gijyutsu Journal, Vol.21, No.8, p.75, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  Haili Chen, Norio Maki, and Haruo Hayashi, “Adapting the Demographic Transition in Preparation for the Tokai-Tonankai-Nankai Earthquake,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.5, No.6, December, 2010.
-  T. Suzuki, “Report of the Project Research on Disaster Reduction using Disaster Mitigating Information Sharing Technology,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.9, No.2, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  Prime Minister’s IT Strategic Headquarters, “Midterm report of study project for next-generation e-government service platform (Draft),” Oct. 26, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  Prime Minister’s IT Strategic Headquarters, “New Information Communication Technology Strategic Progress Schedule (Draft),” June 22, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  A. Miyajima et al., “A Proposal of new Method for Specifying Other Users in Systems required to Protect Personal Information,” Information Processing Society of Japan, Research Report, Groupware and Network Services, 2010-GN-74, No.6, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  M. Abe et al., “Lifelog Katsuyou Gijyutsu no Doukou to Kenkyuujyo no Torikumi,” NTT Gijyutsu Journal, Vol.22, No.7, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  http://www.applic.or.jp/