Hard Missile Impact on Prestressed Shear Reinforced Slab
Markku Tuomala*, Kim Calonius**, Arja Saarenheimo**,
and Pekka Välikangas***
*Department of Civil Engineering, Tampere University of Technology, Tekniikankatu 12, P.O.Box 600, FIN-33101, Tampere, Finland
**VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, VTT, P.O.Box 1000, Kemistintie 3, Espoo, 02044 VTT, Finland
***Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority (STUK), Laippatie 4, PL 14, 00881 Helsinki, Finland
The protective concrete walls of nuclear power plants must withstand accidental or intentional missile impact, and structural systems and solutions are being developed in building frameworks and detailed levels requiring sophisticated tools for different design phases such as detailing shear reinforcement. Numerical methods, for example, have been developed and used for predicting prestressed shear reinforced concrete structures response subjected to hard projectile impact. The structural behavior of prestressed impact-loaded walls is predicted analytically and by using nonlinear FE models. Analysis predicts damage mechanisms such as crater formation, penetration, shear cone formation, and perforation. To produce experimental data required to verify the accuracy of numerical models, an experimental setup has been developed at the Technical Research Center of Finland (VTT) for intermediate-scale impact testing enabling force-plate testing with soft missiles and concrete slab impact testing.
-  R. P. Kennedy, “A review of procedures for the analysis and design of concrete structures to resist missile impact effects,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.37, pp. 183-203, 1976.
-  P. P. Degen, “Perforation of reinforced concrete slabs by rigid missiles,” J. of the Structural Division, ASCE, Vol.106, pp. 1623-1642, 1980.
-  W. S. Chang, “Impact of solid missiles on concrete barriers,” J. of the Structural Division, ASCE, Vol.107, pp. 257-271, 1981.
-  C. Berriaud, A. Sokolovsky, R. Gueraud, J. Dulac, and R. Labrot, “Local behaviour of reinforced concrete walls under missile impact,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.45, pp. 457-469, 1978.
-  P. Barr, “Guidelines for the design and assessment of concrete structures subjected to impact,” AEA, 1990.
-  M. J. Forrestal, B. S. Altman, J. D. Cargile, and S. J. Hanchak, “An empirical equation for penetration depth of ogive-nose projectiles into concrete targets,” Int. J. of Impact Engineering, Vol.15, pp. 395-405, 1994.
-  C. Ito, H. Ohnuma, and S. G. Nomachi, “Impact behaviour of PC beams and slabs,” Trans. of the 9th Int. Conf. on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology, pp. 93-98, 1987.
-  A. K. Kar, “Residual velocity for projectiles,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.53, pp. 87-95, 1979.
-  Q. M. Li, S. R. Reid, H. M. Wen, and A. R. Telford, “Local impact effects of hard missiles on concrete targets,” Int. J. of Impact Engineering, Vol.32, pp. 224-284, 2005.
-  G. Hughes, “Hard missile impact on reinforced concrete,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.77, pp. 23-35, 1984.
-  A. K. Kar, “Impact factor for tornado generated missiles,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.47, pp. 107-114, 1978.
-  Q. M. Li and X. W. Chen, “Dimensionless formulae for penetration depth of concrete target impacted by a non-deformable projectile,” Int. J. of Impact Engineering, Vol.28, pp. 93-116, 2003.
-  A. N. Dancygier, “Effect of reinforcement ratio on the resistance of reinforced concrete to hard projectile impact,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.172, pp. 233-245, 1997.
-  X. W. Chen, X. L. Li, F. L. Huang, H. J. Wu, and Y. Z. Chen, “Normal perforation of reinforced concrete target by rigid projectile,” Int. J. of Impact Engineering, Vol.35, pp. 1119-1129, 2008.
-  Q. M. Li, Z. Q. Ye, G. W. Ma, and S. R. Reid, “Influence of overall structural response on perforation of concrete targets,” Int. J. of Impact Engineering, Vol.34, pp. 926-941, 2007.
-  H. W. Reinhardt and C. Meyer, “Material modelling,” Modelling and analysis of reinforced concrete structures for dynamic loading, C. Meyer (Ed.), CISM No.346, Springer, pp. 1-64, 1998.
-  N. Orbovic, M. Elgohary, N. Lee, and A. Blahoianu, “Tests on reinforced concrete slabs with pre-stressing and with transverse reinforcement under impact loading,” Trans. of SMiRT-20, August 2009, Espoo, Finland.
-  Abaqus Theory Manual, version 6.9-2. Dassault Systèmes, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.