Soft Missile Impact on Shear Reinforced Concrete Wall
Arja Saarenheimo*, Kim Calonius*, Markku Tuomala**,
and Ilkka Hakola*
*VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, Kemistintie 3, Espoo, P.O.Box 1000, FI-02044 VTT, Finland
**Technical University of Tampere (TUT), Tekniikankatu 12, P.O.Box 600, FIN-33101, Tampere, Finland
In developing numerical approaches for predicting the response of reinforced concrete structures impacted on by deformable projectiles, we predict structural behavior collapse and damage using simple analysis and extensive nonlinear finite element (FE)models. To verify their accuracy, we compared numerical results to experimental data and observations on impact-loaded concrete walls with bending and transverse shear reinforcement. Different models prove adequate for different cases and are sensitive to different variables, making it important to rely on more than a single model alone. For wall deformation in bending mode, deflection is predicted reasonably well by simple four-node shell elements. Where punching dominates, transverse shear behavior must be considered. Formation of a shear failure cone is modeled using three-dimensional solid elements.
and Ilkka Hakola, “Soft Missile Impact on Shear Reinforced Concrete Wall,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.5, No.4, pp. 426-436, 2010.
-  “Abaqus Theory Manual,” version 6.9-2. Dassault Systèmes, 2009.
-  J. D. Riera, “On the stress analysis of structures subjected to aircraft impact forces,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.8, pp. 415-426, 1968.
-  T. Sugano, H. Tsubota, Y. Kasai, N. Koshika, S. Orui, W. A. von Rieseman, D. C. Bickel, and M. B. Parks, “Full-scale aircraft impact test for evaluation of impact force,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.140, pp. 373-385, 1993.
-  T. Sugano, H. Tsubota, Y. Kasai, N. Koshika, H. Ohnuma, W. A. von Rieseman, D. C. Bickel, and M. B. Parks, “Local damage to reinforced concrete structures caused by impact of aircraft engine missiles Part 1. Test program, method and results,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.140, pp. 387-405, 1993.
-  T. Sugano, H. Tsubota, Y. Kasai, N. Koshika, C. Itoh, and K. Shirai, “Local damage to reinforced concrete structures caused by impact of aircraft engine missiles Part 2. Evaluation of test results,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.140, pp. 407-423, 1993.
-  T. Wang, and T. T. C. Hsu, “Nonlinear finite element analysis of concrete structures using new constitutive models,” Computers & Structures, Vol.79, pp. 2781-2791, 2001.
-  N. Jones, “Structural Impact,” Cambridge University Press, 1989.
-  CEB Bulletin d’Information no.187, “Concrete Structures under Impact and Impulsive Loading,” 1988.
-  F. Bartera, D. Combescure, L. Jason, and D. Guilbaud, “Evaluation of RC slab response under soft impact by means of various models,” CONSEC’07, Concrete under severe conditions, F. Toutlemonde et al. (Eds.), pp. 1349-1356, France, 2007.
-  A. Lastunen, I. Hakola, E. Järvinen, J. Hyvärinen, and C. Calonius, “Impact Test Facility,” SMiRT-19. 19th International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology, August 12-17, 2007 Toronto, Canada, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.