Logit Analysis of Socioeconomic Factors Influencing Famine in Uganda
Washington Okori*, Joseph Obua**, and Venansius Baryamureeba*
*Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Computing and Information Technology, Makerere University, P.O. Box 7062 Kampala, Uganda
**Department of Forest Biology and Ecosystems Management, Faculty of Forestry and Nature Conservation, Makerere University, P.O. Box 7062 Kampala, Uganda
-  Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nation, “Assessement of the World Food Security Situation,” Committee on World Food Security, Rome, Italy, 2007.
-  Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nation, “The State of Food Insecurity in the World: monitoring progress towards the World Food Summit and Millennium Development Goals,” Rome, Italy, 2004.
-  J. Clover, “Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa,” Africa Security Review, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 1-15, 2003.
-  G. Ramakrishna and A. Demeke, “An Empirical Analysis of Food Insecurity in Ethiopia: The Case of North Wello,” African Development, Vol.XXVII, Nos.1&2, pp. 127-143, 2002.
-  Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, “Global Information and Early warning system. 24 Sub-Saharan African countries face food emergencies,” Africa Report, Rome, 2005.
-  V. Quigley, “Chaos Organization and Disaster Management,” Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Vol.1, No.3, pp. 3-6, 2004.
-  Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nation, “The State of Food Insecurity in theWorld: Eradicating World Hunger – taking stock ten years after the World Food Summit,” Rome, Italy, 2006.
-  World Bank, “Poverty and Hunger: Issues and options for Food Security in the Developing Countries,” AWorld Bank Policy Study, Washington, 1986.
-  P. J. Webb and Y. Yohannes, “Famine in Ethiopia: Policy Implications of Coping Failure at National and Household levels,” Research Report 92, International Food Policy Research Institute, 1999.
-  S. Curtis, “Food Insecurity: Family Problem, Community Challenge,” Northwest Public Health, 2008.
-  J. V. Braun, M. W. Rosegrant, R. Pandya-Lorch, M. J. Cohen, S. A. Cline, M. A. Brown, and M. S. Bos, “New Risks and Opportunities for Food Security Scenario Analyses for 2015 and 2050,” International Food Policy Research Institute, 2005.
-  Uganda Bureau of Statistics, “Uganda National Household Survey 2005/2006,” Report on the Agricultural Module, 2007.
-  Ministry of Agriculture and Agrarian Reform (MAAR), “The State of Food Security: Recent trends in Syriac,” NAPC Annual Report, under the project GCP/SYR/006/ITA FAO/Government of Italy Cooperation Programme/MAAR (not published), Damascus, Syria, 2006.
-  International Food Policy Research Institute, “Can FAO’s Measure of Chronic Undernourishment be Strengthened,” Washington, 1998.
-  S. D. Salih, “Food Security in East and Southern Africa,” Nordic Journal of African Studies, Vol.13, No.1, pp 3-27, 1994.
-  United States Agency for International Development, “Senegal Food Security Update,” Famine Early Warning Systems Network, 2007.
-  Ministry of Finance Planning and Economic Development (MFPED), “State of Uganda Population Report,” 2007.
-  D. W. Stockburger, “Introductory Statistics: Concepts, Models, and Applications,” Missouri State University, 1996.
-  B. V. Shah, “Hosmer-Lemeshow goodness of fit test for Survey data,” Joint Statistical Meetings – Section on Survey Research Methods, pp. 3778-3781, 2003.
-  P. Webb and J. V. Braun, “Famine and Food Security in Ethiopia: Lessons for Africa,” England, John Wiley and Sons Ltd, 1994.
-  M. R. Verma, K. K. Datta, S. Manda, and A. K. Tripathi, “Diversification of Food Production and Consumption Patterns in India,” Journal of Agricultural & Food Information, 1540-4722, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 87-100, 2008.
-  United Nations, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs SOUTHERN AFRICA, “Female-headed households most vulnerable to food insecurity,” 2004.
-  A. E. Davies, “Food Security Initiatives in Nigeria: Prospects and Challenges,” Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 186-202, 2009.
-  United States Agency for International Development, “Food Security Indicators and Framework for Use in the Monitoring and Evaluation of Food Aid Programs,” 1999.
-  Food and Agricultural Organization, “Field programme management: food, nutrition and development,” Rome, Italy, 1999.
-  O. A. Adeogun, A. M. Ajana, O. A. Ayinla, M. T. Yarhere, and M. O. Adeogun, “Application of Logit Model in Adoption Decision: A Study of Hybrid Clarias in Lagos State, Nigeria,” American-Eurasian J. Agric. & Environ. Sci., Vol.4, No.4, pp 468-472, 2008.
-  D. W. Hosmer and S. Lemeshow, “Applied Logistic Regression,” Second ed., New York: Wiley, 2000.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.