Mobile GIS Application Development for Emergency Damage Assessment in a Disaster
Norihiro Tonosaki*1, Go Urakawa*2, Kei Omura*3,
Yuji Nawa*1, Ryota Hamamoto*1,
and Haruo Hayashi*4
*1ESRI Japan Corporation, 2-7-1 Hirakawa-chou, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093, Japan
*2Institute of Sustainability Science, Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
*3NTT Data CCS Corporation
*4Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
The magnitude 6.8 Niigata Chuetsu earthquake occurred on October 23, 2004. A major responsibility of cities in Japan hit by earthquakes is to conduct effective disaster relief while assessing the changing situation. On such assessment requiring large numbers of temporary workers is damage assessment, e.g., of buildings and lifelines. We organized emergency damage investigation, unifying damage investigation and post investigation information processing based on knowledge from GIS-based support by the Kyoto University’s Disaster-prevention Research Institute. The two-part effort consisted of easy-input GIS applications and technology handling information from field damage investigation, automated geographic information and photographic association at disaster sites and creating reports on investigation results. We thus streamlined emergency damage investigation in aiding affected areas.
Yuji Nawa, Ryota Hamamoto, and
and Haruo Hayashi, “Mobile GIS Application Development for Emergency Damage Assessment in a Disaster,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.5, No.1, pp. 54-65, 2010.
-  Nigata Prefecture HP, http://bosai.pref.niigata.jp/content/jishin/higai0517_0900.pdf
-  K. Akimoto, G. Urakawa, S. Sadohara, and S. Nishiyama, “Development of the Seismic DamageMapping System with GPS Cellular Phone,” Journal of Society Safety Science, No.4, 2002.
-  A. Shibayama and Y. Hisada, “An Efficient for Acquiring Earthquake Damage Information in Damaged Area,” Journal of Society Safety Science, No.5, 2003.
-  R. W. Greene, Confronting Catastrophe, ESRI Press, 2002.6.
-  G. Urakawa, N. Yoshitomi, and Y. Hisada “Generic Strategy for Protecting Safety and Society by using GIS — Combat GIS GIS Based on Enterprise GIS,” Journal of Society Safety Science, No.6, 2004.
-  K. Horie, K. Shigekawa, N. Maki, S. Tanaka, and H. Hayashi, “Effectiveness of Building Damage Assessments Training for Non-Experts,” Journal of Society Safety Science, No.6, 2004.
-  G. Urakawa, K. Omura, and Y. Nawa, “The Strategy to Utilize Mobile GIS — GIS Playing Role in Filed Site — ,” Kokon Shoin, 2007.5.
-  “Case studies Of ArcGIS Vol.4,” ESRI Japan, co., ltd.
-  G. Urakawa, N. Yoshitomi, H. Hayashi, Y. Nawa, and K. Omura, “Building Emergency Field Survey Support System by Using PDA and GIS — Through GIS Support Activities at Mid-Niigata Earthquake,” Geospatial Information and Technology Association 2006.4.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.