Realization of Local Capacity Building for Managing Instructional-System-Design-Based GIS -A Case Study of Wajima City at 2007 Noto Hanto Earthquake-
Yoshihiro Ura*, Munenari Inoguchi**, and Haruo Hayashi***
*Urban Development Division, City Office of Wajima, 2-29 Futatsuya-cho, Wajima city, Ishikawa 928-8525, Japan
**Research Center for Natural Hazard and Disaster Recovery, Niigata University, 8050 Ikarashi Nino-cho, Nishi-ku, Niigata city, Niigata 950-2181, Japan
***Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji city, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
Geographic information system (GIS) use in disaster response in Japan has tended to be poor due to a lack of skills among local responders. The educational model based on instructional system design (ISD) and cognitive apprenticeship theory we proposed enabled local responders to build on GIS management capacity. Our research example is taken from the case of Wajima City, Ishikawa Prefecture, hit by the 2007 Noto Hanto Earthquake, magnitude 6.9 on the Richter scale, on March 25, 2007, in which local responders managed GIS quickly after the quake to developmany useful maps representing recovery progress.
-  H. Hayashi, et al., ISBN:9784621079515, Maruzen Shuppan, pp. 169, 2008.
-  H. Hayashi, et al., Research Report of “RiskManagement Strategies forMunicipality Governments in Ubiquitous Society,” pp. 10, 2008.
-  M. Inoguchi, et al., “Coaching Effective Operation Procedures using GEOINT Database for Local Disaster Responders based on Short-term Education Model — A Case Study of Wajima City at 2007 Noto Hanto Earthquake — ,” Journal of Social Safety Science, No.9, pp. 177-187, 2007.
-  Robert M. Gagne, et al., “Principles of Instructional Design,” Fifth Edition, pp. 18-38.
-  K. Suzuki, ISBN10: 4762822442, pp. 188, 2002.
-  G. Urakawa and H. Hayashi, “Common Operational Picture of Emergency Management Center, Niigata Prefecture at Niigata-ken Chuetstuoki Earthquake, Annuals of Disaster Prevention Research Institute,” Kyoto University, Vol.51-A, pp. 111-121, 2008.
-  N. Yoshitomi, et al., “The Development of Disaster Victims Database Utilizing the GeoWrap Method,” Journal of Social Safety Science, No.11, 2009 (in printing).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.