Review of Recent Tsunami Observation by Offshore Cabled Observatory
Hiroyuki Matsumoto and Yoshiyuki Kaneda
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC), 2-15 Natsushima, Yokosuka 237-0061, Japan
This paper discusses near- and far-field tsunami observations at the Hokkaido, Japan, offshore cabled observatory, focusing on the 2006 Kuril Island earthquake (Mw 8.3) as a far-field event and the 2008 off-Tokachi earthquake (Mw 6.8) as a near-field event. The Kuril Islands earthquake was detected as a series of tsunami signals by 2 bottom pressure gauges roughly 1 hour after the earthquake. Tsunami amplitudes observed offshore were 3 cm and off-coastal amplitudes were a few tens of centimeters. In the 2008 near-field off-Tokachi earthquake (Mw 6.8), a tsunami signal was detected simultaneously with the earthquake, which had a source amplitude of 4 cm. Our tsunami calculation reproduced the first wave well, but discrepancies about arrival time and amplitude arose for the second and later waves. Offshore tsunami sensors such as bottom pressure gauges, deep-ocean assessment and reporting of tsunami (DART) buoys, and kinematic global positioning system (GPS) buoys may thus become keys in early tsunami warning once appropriate dataset processing is implemented.
-  S. Sobolev, A. Babeyko, R. Wang, R. Galas, M. Rothacher, J. Lauterjung, D. Sein, J. Schroter, and C. Subarya, “Towards Real-time Tsunami Amplitude Predition,” EOS Trans. AGU, Vol.87, pp. 374-378, 2006.
-  V. V. Titov, F. I. Gonzalez, E. N. Bernard, M. C. Eble, H. O. Mofjeld, J. C. Newman, and A. J. Venturato, “Real-Time Tsunami Forecasting: Challenges and Solutions,” Natural Hazards, Vol.35, pp. 41-58, 2005.
-  H. Matsumoto and H. Mikada, “Fault Geometry of the 2004 off the Kii Peninsula Earthquake Inferred from Offshore Pressure Waveforms,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.57, pp. 161-166, 2005.
-  T. Kato, Y. Terada, K. Ito, R. Hattori, T. Abe, T. Miyake, S. Koshimura, and T. Nagai, “Tsunami due to the 2004 September 5th off the Kii Peninsula Earthquake, Japan Recorded by a New GPS Buoy,” Earth Plants Space, Vol.57, pp. 279-301, 2005.
-  K. Hirata, M. Aoyagi, H. Mikada, K. Kawaguchi, Y. Kaiho, R. Iwase, S. Morita, I. Fujisawa, H. Sugioka, K. Mitsuzawa, K. Suyehiro, H. Kinoshita, and N. Fujiwara, “Real-Time Geophysical Measurements on the Deep Seafloor Using Submarine Cable in the Southern Kurile Subduction Zone,” IEEE J. Ocean. Eng., Vol.27, pp. 170-181, 2002.
-  U.S. Geological Survey, “Rupture process of the 2006 NOV 15 Magnitude 8.3 — KURIL Island Earthquake (Revised),” http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/eqinthenews/2006/usvcam/ , 2006.
-  R. Hino, Y. Tanioka, T. Kanazawa, S. Sakai, M. Nishino, and K. Suyehiro, “Micro-Tsunami from a Local Interplate Earthquake Detected by Cabled Offshore Tsunami Observation in Northeastern Japan,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.28, pp. 3533-3536, 2001.
-  H. Takayama, “Statiostical Relation Ship between Tsunami Maximum Amplitudes of Offshore and Coastal Stations,” Pap. Meteor. Geophys., Vol.59, pp. 83-95, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  H. Mikada, K. Mitsuzawa, H. Matsumoto, T. Watanabe, S. Morita, R. Otsuka, H. Sugioka, T. Baba, E. Araki, and K. Suyehiro, “New Discoveries in Dynamics of an M8 Earthquake — Phenomena and Their Implications from the 2003 Tokachi-Oki Earthquake Using a Long Term Monitoring Cabled Observatory —,” Tectonophysics, Vol.426, pp. 95-105, 2006.
-  U.S. Geological Survey,
-  T. Watanabe, H. Matsumoto H. Sugioka, H. Mikada, K. Suyehiro, and R. Otsuka, “Offshore Monitoring System Records Recent Earthquake off Japan’s Northernmost Island,” EOS Trans.AGU, Vol.85, p. 14, 2004.
-  Y. Okada, “Surface Deformation Due to Shear and Tensile Faults in a Half-Space,” Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., Vol.75, pp. 1135-1154, 1985.
-  British Oceanographic Data Centre, “The Centerary Edition of the GEBCO Digital Atlas (CD-ROM),” 1997.
-  T. Ohmachi, H. Tsukiyama, and H. Matsumoto, “Simulation of Tsunami Induced by Dynamic Displacement of Seabed Due to Seismic Faulting,” Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., Vol.91, pp. 1898-1909, 2001.
-  P. Wessel and W. H. F. Smith, “New Version of the Generic Mapping Tools Released,” EOS Trans. AGU, Vol.76, p. 329, 1995.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.