History and Challenge of Tsunami Warning Systems in Japan
Fumihiko Imamura and Ikuo Abe
Disaster Control Research Center, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, Aoba 6-6-11, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
History of development of Tsunami Warning System in Japan started in 1952 after the tsunami warning/forecast system formulated at Sanriku is introduced. The system estimated the earthquake epicenter and magnitude, and issued the forecast by referring to the tsunami forecast maps. In 1999, the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) has introduced the computer-aided simulation system for quantitative tsunami forecasting, in which tsunami arrival times and heights are simulated and stored in the database for forecasting tsunamis. The JMA has been further updating the system and now can issue the forecast 2 to 3 minutes after occurrence of an earthquake. By reviewing the response of the people for past tsunamis forecasting and information in an example case of the 2006 Kurile Earthquake tsunami, we discuss the issues such as accuracy, detail and canceling in order to improve the system.
-  Japan Meteorological Agency, “100 years of JMA History,” 740pp, 1975 (in Japanese).
-  Earthquake section, Japan Meteorological Agency, “Change and present of tsunami prediction,” Quarterly Journal of Observation, 44, pp. 123-170, 1977 (in Japanese).
-  Earthquake section, Japan Meteorological Agency, “Revision of Tsunami forecasting chart – Lower limit of Tsunami advisory,” Quarterly Journal of Seismology, 41, pp. 83-93, 1977 (in Japanese).
-  Japan Meteorological Agency, “Material for meeting for the 2004 Indian ocean tsunami,” 2005 (in Japanese).
-  M. Morita, “Tsunami waning system for Sanriku coast,” Quarterly Journal of Seismology, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 37-43, 1942 (in Japanese).
-  T. S. Murty, “Seismic sea waves TSUNAMI,” Depart. Fisheries & Environment, Ottawa, Canada, Bulletin 198, 337pp, 1977.
-  T. Hirono, “Tsunami warning system and its dissemination,” book of Tsunami, storm surge, and ocean hazards, edited by K.Wadachi, Kyoritu Publish company, pp. 197-208, 1970 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Sekita, “Impact of the 1960 Chilean tsunami on the tsunami warning system,” Special issue of 40 years anniversary of the 1960 Chilean tsunami, Journal of Natural Disaster Science, 19, pp. 291-294, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  I. Abe and F. Imamura, “Possibility of tsunami prediction in real time for the 2006 Kuril earthquake and tsunami,” Technical report of Tsunami Engineering, Tohoku University, 24, pp. 23-28, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  F. Imamura and N. Shuto, “Research and technology of Tsunami called a world word c, Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers,” December, pp. 59-64, 2000 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.