Earthquake Early Warning System Application for School Disaster Prevention
Masato Motosaka and Makoto Homma
Disaster Control Research Center, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, 6-6-11-1102 Aobayama, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
Earthquake early warning systems (EEWS) based on nationwide earthquake observation networks in Japan are applied to earthquake damage mitigation in many fields. The authors have developed a real-time earthquake information (RTEI) application for school disaster prevention. This paper describes, first an EEWS demonstration test at an elementary school in Sendai and extended demonstration tests for three other elementary schools and a junior high school. Then, the transmission of RTEI using an intranet connecting schools is described, together with demonstration test using the Schools in Wide Area Networks in Miyagi Prefecture (Miyagi-SWAN), Japan. These demonstration tests were conducted as part of a government project. This paper also addresses a questionnaire investigation on EEWS applications in schools which was also conducted in the project. The experience of a real earthquake, the June 14, 2008, Iwate-Miyagi Nairiku Earthquake (M7.2), is then described. Lessons learned from the demonstration tests in schools are summarized.
-  S. Horiuchi, H. Negishi, K. Abe, A. Kamimura, and Y. Fujinawa, “An Automatic Processing System for Broadcasting Earthquake Alarms,” Bull. Seism. Soc. Amer., 95, pp. 708-718, 2006.
-  M. Motosaka, Y. Fujinawa, K. Yamaguchi, N. Kusano, T. Iwasaki, and A. Satake, “Application of Early Warning System in Schools using Real-Time Earthquake Information,” 8th National Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, CD-ROM No.719, 2006.
-  M. Motosaka, K. Tsukahara, S. Masuda, M. Maeda, S. Ohno, and T. Sato, “Strategy for Earthquake Disaster Prevention against the Approaching Miyagi-Ken Oki Earthquake, Japan,” 1st European Conf. on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, CD-ROM Paper No. 1384, 2006.
-  M. Motosaka, “Application of Earthquake Early Warning Systems for Disaster Prevention in Schools,” Proc. of 1st Int. Conf. on National and Int. Coordination, Cooperation and Humanitarian Assistance in Natural Disaster and State of Emergency, pp. 56-60, 2007.
-  M. Motosaka and S. Manabe, “Questionnaire investigation for extensive utilization of real-time earthquake information in schools,” Summary and Transaction of Annual Meeting of AIJ, pp. 663-664, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  M. Motosaka and M. Homma, “State of Reception of the Real-time Earthquake Information in schools during the 2008 Iwate-Miyagi Nairiku earthquake and Response to the earthquake warning information,” 6th Annual Meeting of JAEE, 2008.
-  S. Fujii, “Consideration of Conception on Safety Ability and its Structure,” 5th meeting on Japan Safety Education Institute, 2005 (In Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.