Destruction and Recovery of Vegetation Caused by the 2000-Year Eruption on Miyake-Jima Island, Japan
Takashi Kamijo*, Minami Kawagoe*, Taku Kato*, Yutaka Kiyohara**,
Miyuki Matsuda***, Keiko Hashiba**, and Kazunori Shimada****
*Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tennodai, 1-1-1 Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8572, Japan
**Master's Program in Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba
***College of Agrobiogical Resources, University of Tsukuba
****Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute, Matsunosato, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8687, Japan
-  S. Nakada, M. Nagai, M. Yasuda, T. Shimano, N. Geshi, M. Ohno, T. Akimasa, T. Kaneko, and T. Fujii, “Chronology of the Miyakejima 2000 eruption: characteristics of summit collapsed crater and eruption products,” Journal of Geography, 110, pp. 168-180, 2001 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  K. Kazahaya, J. Hirabayashi, H. Mori, M. Odai, Y. Nakahori, K. Nogami, S. Nakada, H. Shinohara, and K. Uto, “Volcanic gas study of the 2000 Miyakejima volcanic activity: degassing environment deduced from adhered gas component on ash and SO2 emission rate,” Journal of Geography, 110, pp. 271-279, 2001 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  Japan Meteorological Agency, “Volcanic gas (SO2) emission of Miyakejima,”
http://www.seisvol.kishou.go.jp/tokyo/320_Miyakejima/so2emission, Japan meteorological agency, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kamijo and K. Hashiba, “Island ecosystem and vegetation dynamics before and after the 2000-year Eruption on Miyake-jima Island, Japan with implications for conservation of island’s ecosystem,” Global Environmental Research, 7, pp. 69-78, 2003.
-  Sectional meeting of revegetation works in technological meeting of provision against disasters of Miyake-jima Island, “Revegetation guideline in Miyake-jima Island,” Tokyo metropolitan government, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kamijo, “Vegetation and volcano on Miyake-jima Island,” Biological Science, 53, pp. 82-87, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  H. Higuchi, “Further state of birds,” Biological Science, 53, pp. 80-81, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  H. Yamamoto, “The effect of the volcanic eruption in 2000 on bird community in Miyake Island,” Biological Science, 53, pp. 74-79. 2001 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kato and H. Higuchi, “Avian communities in the woodlands of Miyakejima Island after the volcanic eruption of 2000,” Strix, 21, pp. 81-98, 2003 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  K. Kato and H. Higuchi, “Change of avian communities on the Miyakejima Island after the volcanic eruption of 2000,” Shinrin-Kagaku, 46, pp. 16-19, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  H. Makihara and H. Okabe, “Profile of cerambycid beetles four or five years after eruption of Mt. Oyama in Miyake Islamd, Tokyo Pref., Japan,” Shinrin-Kagaku, 46, pp. 20-23, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kamijo, Y. Kiyohara, M. Matsuda, T. Kato, Y. Hoshino, and H. Higuchi, “Rapid expansion of distribution of Bat’s winged Fern, Histiopteris incisa after the 2000-year eruption on Miyake-jima Island, Japan,” Journal of Phytogeography and Taxonomy, 53, pp. 83-89, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  N. Kachi, “Effects of the 2000-year eruption of Miyake-jima Island on plants,” Chiri, 48, pp. 31-37. 2002 (in Japanese).
-  H. Abe and M. Hasegawa, “Impact of volcanic activity on a plantpollinator module in an island ecosystem: the example of the association of a Camellia japonica and Zosterops japonica,” Ecological Research, 2007 (Online journal).
-  A. Yamanishi, A. Tsunekawa, Y. Kiyohara, T. Kamijo, and H. Higuchi, “Monitoring vegetation damage caused by the year 2000 Miyake Island’s volcanic eruption using satellite data,” Journal of Japanese Institute of Landscape Architecture, 66, pp. 473-476, 2001 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  A. Yamanishi, T. Kamijo, A. Tsunekawa, and H. Higuchi, “Monitoring of vegetation damage caused by the 2000 Miyake Island volcanic eruption using satellite remote sensing and field surveys,” Journal of Agricultural Meteorology, 60, pp. 1183-1188, 2005.
-  T. Kato, H. Higashi, T. Kamijo, and K. Tamura, “Several chemical and mineralogical properties of volcanic ash samples erupted in 2000 from Miyake Island,” Pedrogist, 46, pp. 14-21 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  N. Isshiki, “Geology of Miyake-jima district,” Geological Survey of Japan, Tokyo, 1960 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  T. Miyazaki, “Features of historical eruptions at Miyake-jima Volcano,” Bulletin of Volcanological Society, Japan, 2nd Series, 29, pp. 1-15, 1984 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  M. Tsukui, K. Niihori, Y. Kawanabe, and Y. Suzuki, “Stratigraphy and formation of Miyakejima Volcano,” Journal of Geography, 110, pp. 156-167. 2000 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  T. Kamijo, K. Kitayama, A. Sugawara, S. Urushimichi, and K. Sasai, “Primary succession of the warm-temperate broad-leaved forest on a volcanic island, Miyake-jima Island, Japan,” Folia Geobotanica, 37, pp. 71-91, 2002.
-  T. Yamakoshi, T. Mizuyama, T. Uchida, Y. Nomura, N. Anyoji, and T. Hashinoki, “Temporal change in infiltration capacity and sediment discharge of the tephra-covered slope of Miyake-jima volcano in the first post-eruption year,” Journal of the Japan Society of Erosion Control Engineering, 55, pp. 36-42. 2002 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  K. Abe, U. Kurokawa, S. Asano, T. Okamoto, K. Matsuyama, H. Ochiai, T. Terashima, K. Shimada, H. Noguchi, H. Daimaru, I. Miyabuchi, and Y. Ogawa, “Corroborative study on the condition of soil erosion in the volcanic ash deposited area, Miyake Island,” Journal of the Japanese Society of Revegetation Technology, 28, pp. 91-96, 2002 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  H. Toda, K. Hanaoka, K. Kishimoto, K. Haibara, and Y. Kametani, “Mapping and mechanisms of acid buffer effect in volcanic ash on surface soil in Miyake island,” Journal of the Japanese Society of Revegetation Technology, 33, pp. 21-26, 2007 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  Environmental agency of Japan, “Environmental standard for air pollutants,” http://www.env.go.jp/kijun/taiki1.html, 1973.
-  D. Mueller-Dombois and H. Ellenberg, “Aims and methods of vegetation ecology,” John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1974.
-  T. Hamada, “The Miyake-jima — one year after the eruption,” Collecting and Breeding, 46, pp. 422-430, 1984.
-  K. Matsuda and S. Honma, “Damage and recover of forests after 1983 eruption on Miyake-Island,” Collecting and Breeding, 49, pp. 344-348, 1987.
-  W. Larcher, “Physiological Plant Ecology, 4th ed.,” Springer Verlag, 2003.
-  M. Begon, J. L. Harper, and C. R. Townsend, “Ecology, 3rd ed.,” Blackwell Science, 1996.
-  J. Riemer and J. B. Whittaker, “Air pollution and insect herbivores: observed interactions and possible mechanisms,” E. A. Bernays, ed., Insect-plant interactions, CRC Press, pp. 73-105, 1989.
-  P. M. Vitousek and K. Walker, “Colonization, succession and resource availability: ecosystem-level interactions,” A. J. Gray, M. J. Crawley, P. J. Edwards, eds., Colonization, succession and stability, Blackwell Scientific Publications, pp. 207-224, 1987.
-  S. Tsuyuzaki, “Studies on the early stage of volcanic succession,” Japanese Journal of Ecology, 51, pp. 13-22, 2001 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  H. Tagawa, “A study of the volcanic vegetation in Sakurajima, south-west Japan: I. dynamics of vegetation,” Memories of the Faculty of Science, Kyushu University, Ser. E. (Biol.), 3, pp. 165-228, 1964.
-  H. Hoire and M. Nemoto, “Effects of soil pH and Aluminium on the growth of Miscanthus sinensis ANDERSS,” Weed Research Japan, 35, pp. 292-295, 1990 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.