Mesoscale Precipitation Systems Along the Meiyu/Baiu Front and Future Expectation for Research Radar and Weather Radar Network
Hydroshperic Atmospheric Research Center, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8601, Japan
-  V. N. Bringi and V. Chandrasekar, “Polarimetric Doppler weather radar,” Cambridge University Press, pp. 636, 2001.
-  G. T. J. Chen, “Research on the phenomena of Meiyu during the past quarter century: An overview,” East Asian Monsoon, Eds., C. P. Chang, World Scientific Publishing, pp. 357-403, 2004.
-  S. Fukao and K. Hamadu, “Radar system studies for atmospheric remote sensing,” Kyoto University Press, 491 pp., 2005 (in Japanese).
-  R. J. Doviak and D. S. Zrnic, “Doppler radar and weather observation,” Academic Press, 562 pp., 1993.
-  B. Geng, H. Yamada, K. K. Reddy, H. Uyeda, and Y. Fujiyoshi, “An observational study of the development of a rainband on a Meiyu front causing heavy rainfall in the downstream region of the Yangtze river,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 82, pp. 1095-1115, 2004.
-  B. Geng and H. Yamada, “Diurnal variations of the Meiyu/Baiu rain belt,” Scientific Online Letters on the Atmosphere, 3, pp. 61-64, 2007.
-  M. Ishihara, Y. Fujiyoshi, A. Tabata, H. Sakakibara, K. Akaeda, and H. Okumura, “Dual Doppler radar analysis of an intense mesoscale rainband generated along the Baiu front in 1988: Its kinematical structure and maintenance process,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 73, pp. 139-163, 1995.
-  M. N. Islam, T. Hayashi, H. Uyeda, T. Terao, and K. Kikuchi, “Diurnal variations of cloud activity in Bangladesh and north of the Bay of Bengal in 2000,” Remote Sensing of Environment, 90, pp. 378-388, 2004.
-  M. N. Islam and H. Uyeda, “Use of TRMM in determining the climatic characteristics of rainfall over Bangladesh,” Remote Sensing of Environment, 108, pp. 264-276, 2007.
-  M. N. Islam, A. K. M. S. Islam, and H. Uyeda, “Application of GMS-5 data at far from satellite location: Calculation of surface and cyclonic rain,” MAUSAM, 54, pp. 521-528, 2003.
-  R. J. Johnson, T. M. Rickenbach, S. A. Rutledge, P. E. Ciesielski, and W. H. Schubert, “Trimodal characteristics of tropical convection,” J. Climate, 12, pp. 2397-2418, 1999.
-  T. Kato, S. Hayashi, and M. Yoshizaki, “Statistical study on cloud top heights of cumulonimbi thermodynamically estimated from objective analysis data during the Baiu season,” Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, 2007 (in press).
-  T. Maesaka, “Study on the formation process of precipitation systems in the Meiyu front on the China continent,” Doctoral Dissertation, Hokkaido University, 2003.
-  M. Maki, K. Iwanami, R. Misumi, S.-G. Park, H. Moriwaki, K. Maruyama, I. Watabe, D.-I. Lee, M. Jang, H.-K. Kim, V. N. Bringi, and H. Uyeda, “Semi-operational rainfall observations with X-band multi-parameter radar,” Atmos. Sci. Let., 6, pp. 12-18, 2005.
-  Q. Moteki, T. Shinoda, S. Shimizu, S. Maeda, H. Minda, K. Tsuboki, and H. Uyeda, “Multiple frontal structures in the Baiu frontal zone observed by aircraft on 27 June 2004. Scientific Online Letters on the Atmosphere,” pp. 132-135, doi:10.2151/ sola.2006-034, 2006.
-  Q. Moteki, R. Shirooka, K. Yoneyama, B. Geng, M. Katsumata, T. Ushiyama, H. Yamada, K. Yasunaga, N. Sato, H. Kubota, K. K. Reddy, H. Tokinaga, A. Seiki, M. Fujita, Y. N. Takayabu, M. Yoshizaki, H. Uyeda, and T. Chuda, “The impact of the assimilation of dropsonde observations during PALAU2005 in ALERA,” Scientific Online Letters on the Atmosphere, 3, pp. 97-100, doi:10.2151/sola.2007-025, 2007.
-  Q. Moteki, H. Uyeda, T. Maesaka, T. Shinoda, M. Yoshizaki, and T. Kato, “Structure and development of merged two rainbands observed over the East China Sea during X-BAIU-99 Part I: Meso-b-scale structure and development processes,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 82, pp. 19-44, 2004a.
-  Q. Moteki, H. Uyeda, T. Maesaka, T. Shinoda, M. Yoshizaki, and T. Kato, “Structure and development of merged two rainbands observed over the East China Sea during X-BAIU-99 Part II: Meso-a-scale structure and build-up processes of convergence in the Baiu frontal region,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 82, pp. 45-65, 2004b.
-  Y. Ni, “Experiment on heavy rainfall in Meiyu front in the stream of the Yangtze River. International Conf. on Mesoscale Convective Systems and Heavy Rainfall/Snowfall in East Asia,” Tokyo, Japan, pp. 86-88, 2002.
-  NIED home page: http://www.bosai.go.jp /kiban/ radar/index_e.ht
-  T. Ohigashi and K. Tsuboki, “Structure and maintenance process of stationary double snowbands along the coastal region,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 83, pp. 331-349, 2005.
-  S. Shimizu, H. Uyeda, Q. Moteki, T. Maesaka, M. Takaya, K. Akaeda, T. Kato, and M. Yoshizaki, “Structure and formation mechanism of 24 May 2000 supercell-like thunderstorm observed over Kanto plain,” Japan. Monthly Weather Review, 2007 (in press).
-  T. Shinoda and H. Uyeda, “Effective factors in the development of deep convective clouds over the wet region of eastern China during the summer monsoon season,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 80, pp. 1395-1414, 2002.
-  Y. Shusse and K. Tsuboki, “Dimension characteristics and precipitation efficiency of cumulonimbus clouds in the region far south from the Mei-yu front over eastern Asian continent,” Monthly Weather Review, 134, pp. 1942-1953, 2006.
-  Y. Shusse, K. Tsuboki, B. Geng, H. Minda, and T. Takeda, “Structure and evolution of deeply developed convective cells in a long-lived cumulonimbus cloud under a weak vertical wind-shear condition,” Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, 83, pp. 351-371, 2005.
-  S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, M. Marquis, K. Averyt, M. M.B. Tignor, H. L. Miller, Jr., and A. Z. Chen, (Eds), “Climate change 2007: The physical science basis,” Cambridge, pp. 996, 2007.
-  N. Takahashi, H. Uyeda, K. Kikuchi, and K. Iwanami, “Mesoscale and convective scale features of heavy rainfall events in late period of the Baiu season in July1988, Nagasaki prefecture,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 74, pp. 539-561, 1996.
-  S. Y. Tao and L. X. Chen, “A review of recent research on the East Asian summer monsoon in China,” Monsoon Meteorology, C. P. Chang and T. N. Krishnamurti, Eds., Oxford University Press, pp. 60-92, 1987.
-  K. Tsuboki and A. Sakakibara, “Large-scale parallel computing of Cloud Resolving Storm Simulator,” High Performance Computing, Springer, H. P. Zima, K. Joe, M. Sato, Y. Seo, and M. Shimasaki (Eds.), pp. 243-259, 2002.
-  H. Uyeda, Y. Asuma, N. Takahashi, S. Shimizu, O. Kikuchi, A. Kinoshita, S. Matsuoka, M. Katsumata, K. Takeuchi, T. Endoh, M. Ohi, S. Satoh, Y. Tachibana, T. Ushiyama, Y. Fujiyoshi, R. Shirooka, N. Nishi, T. Tomita, H. Ueda, T. Sueda, and A. Sumi, “Doppler radar observations on the structure and characteristics of tropical clouds during TOGA-COARE IOP in Manus, Papua New Guinea: Outline of the observation,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 73, pp. 415-426, 1995.
-  H. Uyeda, M. Nomura, T. Shinoda, K. Tsuboki, K. Nakagawa, K. Nakamura, and HyARC radar observation group, “Role of low-altitude moist-layer for development of precipitation systems over East China Sea during the Baiu,” The Third Japan-China Joint Workshop on Lower Atmosphere and Precipitation Study (LAPS), Nagoya, Japan, pp. 50-53, 2005.
-  H. Yamada, “Numerical Simulations of the Role of Land-Surface Conditions in the Evolution and Structure of Summertime Thunderstorms over a Flat Highland,” Monthly Weather Review, 2007 (in press).
-  H. Yamada and H. Uyeda, “Transition of the rainfall characteristics related to the moistening of the land surface over the central Tibetan Plateau during the Summer of 1998,” Monthly Weather Review, 134, pp. 3230-3247, 2006.
-  H. Yamada, B. Geng, K. K. Reddy, H. Uyeda, and Y. Fujiyoshi, “Three-dimensional structure of a mesoscale convective system in a Baiu-frontal depression generated in the downstream region of the Yangtze River,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 81, pp. 1243-1271, 2003.
-  H. Yamada, B. Geng, H. Uyeda, and K. Tsuboki, “Thermodynamic impact of the heated landmass on the nocturnal evolution of a cloud cluster over a Meiyu-Baiu front,” Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, 85, pp. 663-685, 2007a.
-  H. Yamada, B. Geng, H. Uyeda, and K. Tsuboki, “Role of the heated landmass on the evolution and duration of a heavy rain episode over a Meiyu-Baiu frontal zone,” Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, 85, pp. 687-709, 2007b.
-  M. Yoshizaki, T. Kato, C. Muroi, H. Eito, S. Hayashi, and CREST Observation Group, “Recent activities of field observations on mesoscale convective systems (MCSs) over East China Sea and Kyushu in the Baiu Season and over the Japan Sea in winter,” International Conf. on Mesoscale Convective Systems and Heavy Rainfall/Snowfall in East Asia, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 80-85, 2002.
-  C. Z. Zhang, H. Uyeda, H. Yamada, B. Geng, and Y. Ni, “Characteristics of mesoscale convective systems over the east part of continental China during the Meiyu from 2001 to 2003.” Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, 84, pp. 763-782, 2006a.
-  C. Z. Zhang, H. Uyeda, H. Yamada, and B. Geng, “Characteristics of Convections of Medium Depth to South of the Meiyu Front Analyzed by Using Numerical Simulation,” Scientific Online Letters on the Atmosphere, 2, pp. 160-163, doi:10.2151/ sola.2006-041, 2006b.
-  B. Zhao and T. Takeda, “Huaihe River Basin Experiment (GEWEX/HUBEX),” Beijing University, 24 pp., 1998.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.