Artificial Intelligence Software Application for Contactless Traffic Violation Apprehension in the Philippines
John Anthony C. Jose, Ciprian D. Billones Jr., Allysa Kate M. Brillantes, Robert Kerwin C. Billones, Edwin Sybingco, Elmer P. Dadios, Alexis M. Fillone, and Laurence A. Gan Lim
De La Salle University
2401 Taft Avenue, Manila 1004, Philippines
This paper presents a prototype of a centralized contactless traffic violation apprehension system composed of an artificial intelligence (AI) engine and a web application. The AI engine collects traffic data, primarily traffic violation data, through a contactless approach by using different video and image processing techniques and AI algorithms in its three modules: license plate detection, optical character recognition (OCR), and number coding violation detection. The web application consolidates all the data produced by the AI engine and provides a graphical user interface (GUI) for data management, visualization, and analysis. This contactless apprehension system aims to automate, standardize, and streamline the existing processes of law enforcement agencies and institutions for a more efficient apprehension of traffic violators and help them improve their traffic planning and management in the congested areas of the Philippines.
-  H. S. Lidasan, I. C. Espada, and M. R. M. De Leon, “A Needs Assessment of Transport Planning and Traffic Management of Local Cities: The Case of the Philippines,” J. of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies, Vol.8, pp. 16-27, doi: 10.11175/easts.8.16, 2010.
-  B. H. Roberts and T. Kanaley (Eds.), “Urbanization and sustainability in Asia: Case studies of good practice,” Asian Development Bank, 2006.
-  R. K. C. Billones et al., “Microscopic Road Traffic Scene Analysis Using Computer Vision and Traffic Flow Modelling,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform, Vol.22, No.5, pp. 704-710, doi: 10.20965/jaciii.2018.p0704, 2018.
-  G. Ou, Y. Gao, and Y. Liu, “Real-Time Vehicular Traffic Violation Detection in Traffic Monitoring Stream,” 2012 IEEE/WIC/ACM Int. Conf. on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology, pp. 15-19, doi: 10.1109/WI-IAT.2012.91, 2012.
-  A. C. P. Uy et al., “Automated traffic violation apprehension system using genetic algorithm and artificial neural network,” 2016 IEEE Region 10 Conf. (TENCON), pp. 2094-2099, doi: 10.1109/TENCON.2016.7848395, 2016.
-  R. J. Franklin and Mohana, “Traffic Signal Violation Detection using Artificial Intelligence and Deep Learning,” 2020 5th Int. Conf. on Communication and Electronics Systems (ICCES), pp. 839-844, doi: 10.1109/ICCES48766.2020.9137873, 2020.
-  A. J. Hoffman and A. J. Pretorius, “SmartRoad: A New Approach to Law Enforcement in Dense Traffic Environments,” 2015 IEEE 18th Int. Conf. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, pp. 598-605, doi: 10.1109/ITSC.2015.104, 2015.
-  M. S. Al-Shemarry, Y. Li, and S. Abdulla, “An Efficient Texture Descriptor for the Detection of License Plates From Vehicle Images in Difficult Conditions,” IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.21, No.2, pp. 553-564, doi: 10.1109/TITS.2019.2897990, 2020.
-  H. Li, P. Wang, and C. Shen, “Toward End-to-End Car License Plate Detection and Recognition With Deep Neural Networks,” IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 1126-1136, doi: 10.1109/TITS.2018.2847291, 2019.
-  R. Laroca et al., “A Robust Real-Time Automatic License Plate Recognition Based on the YOLO Detector,” 2018 Int. Joint Conf. on Neural Networks (IJCNN), doi: 10.1109/IJCNN.2018.8489629, 2018.
-  S. Yonetsu, Y. Iwamoto, and Y. W. Chen, “Two-Stage YOLOv2 for Accurate License-Plate Detection in Complex Scenes,” 2019 IEEE Int. Conf. on Consumer Electronics (ICCE), doi: 10.1109/ICCE.2019.8661944, 2019.
-  I. S. Ahmad et al., “Automatic license plate recognition: A comparative study,” 2015 IEEE Int. Symp. on Signal Processing and Information Technology (ISSPIT), pp. 635-640, doi: 10.1109/ISSPIT.2015.7394415, 2015.
-  J. A. C. Jose et al., “Categorizing License Plates Using Convolutional Neural Network with Residual Learning,” 2019 4th Asia-Pacific Conf. on Intelligent Robot Systems (ACIRS), pp. 231-234, doi: 10.1109/ACIRS.2019.8935997, 2019.
-  M. C. E. Amon et al., “Philippine License Plate Character Recognition using Faster R-CNN with InceptionV2,” 2019 IEEE 11th Int. Conf. on Humanoid, Nanotechnology, Information Technology, Communication and Control, Environment, and Management (HNICEM), doi: 10.1109/HNICEM48295.2019.9072753, 2019.
-  A. K. M. Brillantes et al., “Detection of Fonts and Characters with Hybrid Graphic-Text Plate Numbers,” TENCON 2018 – 2018 IEEE Region 10 Conf., pp. 629-633, doi: 10.1109/TENCON.2018.8650097, 2018.
-  L. Ferrolino et al., “Vehicle Classification Through Detection and Color Segmentation of Registration Plates Running on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B,” Int. J. of Recent Technology and Engineering, Vol.8, No.2S8, pp. 1298-1303, doi: 10.35940/ijrte.B1057.0882S819, 2019.
-  A. K. Brillantes et al., “Philippine License Plate Detection and Classification using Faster R-CNN and Feature Pyramid Network,” 2019 IEEE 11th Int. Conf. on Humanoid, Nanotechnology, Information Technology, Communication and Control, Environment, and Management (HNICEM), doi: 10.1109/HNICEM48295.2019.9072754, 2019.
-  A. C. P. Uy et al., “Automated vehicle class and color profiling system based on fuzzy logic,” 2017 5th Int. Conf. on Information and Communication Technology (ICoIC7), doi: 10.1109/ICoICT.2017.8074681, 2017.
-  R. K. C. Billones et al., “Intelligent system architecture for a vision-based contactless apprehension of traffic violations,” 2016 IEEE Region 10 Conf. (TENCON), pp. 1871-1874, doi: 10.1109/TENCON.2016.7848346, 2016.
-  X. Wang et al., “A video-based traffic violation detection system,” Proc. 2013 Int. Conf. on Mechatronic Sciences, Electric Engineering and Computer (MEC), pp. 1191-1194, doi: 10.1109/MEC.2013.6885246, 2013.