A Control Approach Based on Observers of State and Uncertainty for a Class of Takagi–Sugeno Fuzzy Models
Jun Zhao* and Hugang Han**
*School of Automation Engineering, Northeast Dianli Univeristy
169 Changchun Road, Jilin, Jilin, China
**Faculty of Information and Management Systems, Prefectural University of Hiroshima
1-1-71 Ujina-Higashi, Minami-ku, Hiroshima, Hiroshima 724-8558, Japan
Although the Takagi–Sugeno fuzzy model is effective for representing the dynamics of a plant to be controlled, two main questions arise when using it just as other models: 1) how to deal with the gap, which is referred to as uncertainty in this study, between the model and the concerned plant, and how to estimate the state information when it cannot be obtained directly, especially with the existence of uncertainty; 2) how to design a controller that guarantees a stable control system where only the estimated state is available and an uncertainty exists. While the existing studies cannot effectively observe the state and the resulting control systems can only be managed to be uniformly stable, this study first presents a state observer capable of precisely estimating the state regardless of the existence of uncertainty. Then, based on the state observer, an uncertainty observer is derived, which can track the trajectory of uncertainty whenever it occurs in a real system. Finally, a controller based on both observers is presented, which guarantees the asymptotic stability of the resulting control system.
-  T. Takagi and M. Sugeno, “Fuzzy identification of systems and its applications to modeling and control,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol.SMC-15, No.1, pp. 116-132, 1985.
-  N. Chaibi, E. H. Tissir, S. B. Alaoui, M. Charqi, and S. Idrissi, “H-infinity control of singular Takagi–Sugeno fuzzy systems with additive time-varying delays,” Procedia Computer Science, Vol.148, pp. 475-484, 2019.
-  B. Zhou, S. Xie, and J. Hui, “H-infinity control for T–S aero-engine wireless networked system with scheduling,” IEEE Access, Vol.7, pp. 115662-115672, 2019.
-  Z. Du, W. Yuan, and S. Hu, “Discrete-time event-triggered H-infinity stabilization for networked cascade control systems with uncertaindelay,” J. of the Franklin Institute, Vol.356, No.16, pp. 9524-9544, 2019.
-  Y. Wei, J. Qiu, P. Shi, and H. K. Lam, “A new design of H-Infinity piecewise filtering for discrete-time nonlinear time-varying delay systems via T–S fuzzy affine models,” IEEE Trans. on Systems Man and Cybernetics, Vol.47, No.8, pp. 2034-2047, 2017.
-  X. Zhao, X.Wang, L. Ma, and G. Zong, “Fuzzy approximation based asymptotic tracking control for a class of uncertain switched nonlinear systems,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.28, No.4, pp. 632-644, 2020.
-  J. Fei, Y. Chu, and S. Hou, “A backstepping neural global sliding mode control using fuzzy approximator for three- phase active power filter,” IEEE Access, Vol.5, pp. 16021-16032, 2017.
-  H. Han, C.-Y. Su, and Y. Stepanenko, “Adaptive control of a class of nonlinear systems with nonlinearly parameterized fuzzy approximators,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 315-323, 2001.
-  Y.-J. Liu, Y. Gao, S. Tong, and Y. Li, “Fuzzy approximation-based adaptive backstepping optimal control for a class of nonlinear discrete-time systems with dead-zone,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 16-28, 2016.
-  Z. Tian, S. Li, and Y. Wang, “T–S fuzzy neural network predictive control for burning zone temperature in rotary kiln with improved hierarchical genetic algorithm,” Int. J. of Modelling, Identification and Control, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 323-334, 2016.
-  H. Khalil, “Nonlinear Systems,” 3rd edition, Prentice Hall, 2002.
-  M. Wang, J. Qiu, and G. Feng, “A novel piecewise affine filtering design for T–S fuzzy affine systems using past output measurements,” IEEE Trans. on Cybernetics, Vol.50, No.4, pp. 1509-1517, 2020.
-  Y.-Y Cao and Z. Lin, “Robust stability analysis and fuzzy-scheduling control for nonlinear systems subject to actuator saturation,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 57-67, 2003.
-  B. Chen, X. Liu, S. Tong, and C. Lin, “Guaranteed cost control of T–S fuzzy systems with state and input delays,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol.158, No.20, pp. 2251-2267, 2007.
-  F. Zhang, Q.-G. Wang, and T. H. Lee, “Adaptive and robust controller design for uncertain nonlinear systems via fuzzy modeling approach,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B (Cybernetics), Vol.34, No.1, pp. 166-178, 2004.
-  H. Han, “Aadaptive fuzzy controller for a class of uncertain nonlinear systems,” J. of Japan Society for Fuzzy Theory and Intelligence Informatics, Vol.21, No.4, pp. 577-586, 2009.
-  H. Han, “An observer-based controller for a class of polynomial fuzzy systems with disturbance,” IEEJ Trans. on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol.11, No.2, pp. 236-242, 2016.
-  H. Han and H. K. Lam, “Polynomial controller design using disturbance observer,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.19, No.3, pp. 439-446, 2015.
-  L. Li, X. Ding, J. Qiu, and Y. Yang, “Real-time fault detection approach for nonlinear systems and its asynchronous T–S fuzzy observer-based implementation,” IEEE Trans. on Cybernetics, Vol.47, No.2, pp. 283-294, 2017.
-  M. Chadli and H. R. Karimi, “Robust observer design for unknown inputs Takagi–Sugeno models,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 158-164, 2013.
-  X. Wei, Z. Wu, and H. R. Karimi, “Disturbance observer-based disturbance attenuation control for a class of stochastic systems,” Automatica, Vol.63, pp. 21-25, 2016.
-  Zs. Lendek, J. Lauber, T. M. Guerra, R. Babuška, and B. De Schutter, “Adaptive observers for ts fuzzy systems with unknown polynomial inputs,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol.161, No.15, pp. 2043-2065, 2010.
-  B. Chen, X. Liu, and C. Liu, “Observer and adaptive fuzzy control design for nonlinear strict-feedback systems with known virtual control coefficients,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.26, No.3, pp. 1372-1743, 2018.
-  S. Sun, H. Zhang, J. Han, and Y. Liang, “A novel double-level observer-based fault estimation for Takagi–Sugeno fuzzy systems with unknown nonlinear dynamics,” Trans. of the Institute of Measurement and Control, Vol.41, No.12, pp. 3372-3384, 2019.
-  S. Hui and S. H. Żak, “Observer design for systems with unknown inputs,” Int. J. of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 431-446, 2005.
-  R. D. Nussbaum, “Some remarks on a conjecture in parameter adaptive control,” System & Control Letters, Vol.3, No.5, pp. 243-246, 1983.
-  X. Ye and J. Jiang, “Adaptive nonlinear design without a priori knowledge of control direction,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.43, No.11, pp. 1617-1621, 1998.
-  G. Tao, “A simple alternative to the Barbalat lemma,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.42, No.5, p. 698, 1997.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.